Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:13 am 
Walleye

I am trying to decide on a gps fishfinder combo.Checked out radioworld and I am looking at the garmin 431s which comes with a transducer for $ 469+$300 for g2 vision chart card and a $200 mail in rebate which comes to about $569, garmin 441s without transducer is $609 with card and rebate. I am also looking at the lowrance elite 5g which comes with gold Canada and US maps for $625-$50 mail in rebate=$575. Elite 5 Gold DSI is $699-100 rebate=$599.So what do you guys think is the best way to go. I fish salmon,smallmouth bass and walleye. I do my fishing in lake Ontario,East-West lake and bay of quinte. Which of these come with the best maps as well, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:26 am 
Walleye Angler

We all have our favs and there are alot to choose from. Lowrance does have a nice rebate program which helps big time.
The Lowrance Gen 2 is a personal fav of mine networked with the structure scan module which gives me incredible side scan up to 480 ft per side..great for walleye salmon and with the correct settings running along shoreline and drops for bass. On the front I have a Elite 5 dsi down scan for incredible structure reading, if your over a sunken boat that's what you see, a sunken boat, and not a block of pixels to make you wonder.
If your gonna take the plunge don't settle for second best in unit or brand because you'll regret it later.
Good Luck!

Pro Staff- Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Canadian Rep/Distributor Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem
Pro Staff- Gino's Pizza & Spahgetti

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:48 am 
Walleye

i switched from lowrance to humminbird and quite happy,1198hdsi

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 am 
Walleye Master

When you decide, don't be afraid to shop around. If there is a rebate on the unit, it will be the same at any store as the rebate comes from the manufacturer, not the store. The prices can vary quite a bit from store to store.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:00 am 
Walleye Catcher

I would highly recommend Humminbird or Lowrance if fishing is your main use for the unit. Garmin makes an excellent chartplotter but their sonar is tuned more to be a depth sounder than a serious fishing sonar in my opinion. If you were looking for a GPS unit I'd tell you Garmin is the way to go hands down!

The Lowrance Elite units are a good way to go because the mapping card comes with it. Just be aware on the DSI models they only have Down Imaging. There is no traditional sonar in these units. In this category I would say Humminbird is a much better choice than Lowrance because their Down Imaging units have sonar and DI. You would need to purchase a chart for them though. Take a look at the 587ci HD DI.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:14 pm 
Walleye

I went with the lowrance elite 5 with the card. I have always had lowrance or eagles and have never had a problem with them so I stuck with them. I ordered it at radioworld tuesday and it came today.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:20 am 
Walleye Angler

I have the 950c Hummingbird and it works really good. When shopping it was between lawrance and hummingbird. I choose hummingbird because the lawrance that was in the boat was acting up from day one and ticked me off. But in there defence when I installed the new one I had found that the boys at the local marina that installed the lawrance one from new had tucked all the extra transducer cable in a jumbled mess behind all the controls, which is a huge no no so I contribute all my problems to the interference created by that and not the unit its self.
On inportant tip I have is the bigger the screen you can afford the better. I do a lot of running in small lakes, the trent, lake O and a the St. lawrence. One you hit the bigger water, it is nice to have the big screen to be able to tack yourself on the charts and watch ahead. I had a small hand held with charts prior and would have to keep slowing down to scroll ahead on the chart to be able to track my course..... if what I am trying to say make sense I hope it is helpful lol.

Buy the best you can afford and you wont be disapointed!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:17 pm 
Perch

Will both Lowrance and Humminbird show maps of quinte area/trent severn waterway, local lakes etc? Do they show accurate depths as well? I have never used Lowrance or Humminbird gps/chart plotters, just used to normal fish/depth finders.

Thanks

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:33 am 
Walleye Catcher

They sure will when they have a Navionics charts card installed in them. For the Bay of Quinte region most guys are going with the Hotmaps cards. They cover Lake Ontario around the Bay and also cover many inland lakes in Canada. If you fish further out into Lake Ontario then the Gold card will cover that.

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

banner ad
banner ad