Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:00 pm 
Walleye

Our warm spring encouraged me to get Erie-Eyes out of storage a little earlier this year and with weather/wind reports being reasonable, Terry B. and I decided on our usual post winter fishing shakedown trip to West Lake Willows and the big Lake O. Reservations were made and we were soon on our way with lots of anticipation as I ended up with a PB Brown and a PB Laker on same trip last year.

We were soon rolling down 401, arrive @ WLW about 9:30 am, checked in and as winds were light, were soon on water heading to Athol Bay. Erie –Eyes was very happy to be back on water and we were soon making our first trolling run - I advised Terry first hit on any of 4 rod spread was his, as I caught fish last year and he didn’t. Wasn’t long before inside rod on starboard side started bucking – Terry grab rod confirmed he felt fish and saw it jump, and then it was gone. Continued trolling in increasing winds until about 1:45 pm when we decided to pull lines and head into Wellington to witness/assist in the arrival of 12,500 Chinook salmon being placed in a feeding pen for later release into the big lake. Several locals were on hand so we only had to observe/learn and take a few pictures. While this was happening, I noticed a 3-4 pound walleye swimming by the salmon pen and took a couple of pictures of her – she seemed to be having difficulty going down and some felt she was acting as if she had come up from deep water too fast. She kept struggling for about a half an hour and then disappeared – maybe she was just teasing us. We found the salmon transfer very interesting and Al & other locals were most helpful in explaining everything to us. Headed back to WLW, dinner, some TV hockey and a good nights sleep.

Up early on Wednesday to some stiff breezes from the west and decided to wait until later in the day as wind were supposed to shift to NW & N which would help to calm BIG O down a bit. About 11.00am winds quieted and stared to shift to NW so we decided to head out and fish north shore west of Wellington. Ran west a ways and were soon trolling a four line spread back east running with the wave/wind in about 12/15 fow. Outside planner board on port side was acting up and Terry thought perhaps he had caught bottom as he was using a snap weight but he was able to slowly bring board to boat despite feeling he was dragging a heavy load. I soon removed board for him and it wasn't long before I saw the sliver flash a way back – FISH ON and soon in the net, and Terry had boated his first Brownie ever – a beautiful 3 pounder. In meantime wind had shifted back more to west and seemed to be increasing, so we decoded to call it a day and headed back in to WLW.

Thursday morning saw stiff breezes but they had moved to the north so it was decided that I would take Erie-Eyes over to Wellington, and Terry would drive jeep over so that if BIG O looked OK, we would fish until 11:00 am then head directly for home from there. Proved to be a good decision as north shore was calm and we got another couple of hours of trolling in but could find no more takers despite marking a lot of fish in a section of 43 degree water which was 2 degrees warmer than anywhere else. Called it a day and were soon on 401 headed home – tired, cold but very happy. The itch has been scratched and we both should now be able to last until the opening of walleye season – LOL.

A special thanks to Scott & WLW for their excellent hospitality.

Pictures follow:

First trolling run of 2012

Salmon pen at Wellington

Unloading 12,500 Chinook salmon fry

From truck to pen

Typical Chinook salmon fry

Walleye visiting Salmon pen

Terry B’s First Brownie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:56 pm 
Walleye Master

Nicely Done! Can't wait for the opener now, especially after seeing that delicious looking fillet swimmin by the dock lol.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 pm 
Walleye Master

beautiful brown.

top person to be staying with as well. Scott's the man.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:33 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Erie Eye

Good report - great detail and thanks for the insite on the fingerlings - what's that walleye doing---looking for a meal????

Glad you got a fish - the weather gods RULE!!!!!!!

C U on the water for walleyes

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:43 am 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the report Bill,

it was great meeting you and Terry, too bad the weather had not been better.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've been part of the Whitby pen crew for 3 or 4 years now (mind's failing me how many its been), and this spring we've already had a 40 inch pike and a largie hangin' out by the pen in the hopes a few of our fry will break through the mesh and become an easy snack. First time for everything I guess...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:11 am 
Walleye Master

The pike and the bass don't make me nervous, but a couple years ago we had 3 otters in the area and that was tense for a while.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm 
Guppy

Great report and a great brownie. But now my itch is stronger than ever! :D

banner ad
banner ad