banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:46 pm 
Minnow

Worst openning day ever. Not just by my party , but by everyone I spoke to.
Can anyone LOGICALLY explain to me how there is hundreds of nets allowed to be placed on every damn point ?
Someone said the commercial nets are only for perch or bullhead , but do they really throw the walleye back ?
And , what about all the pike , walleye and bass that are killed by gilling in the net part of the hoop net system??
No one caught anything close to normal.....the winning fish , which there are usually ten or twenty over 12 pounds , came in at a high of 11=something and only a few over ten were registered !!
The MNR can say all they want about zebra muscles and clear water..... I know the reality ..... the amount of native-speared and netted , coupled with the commercial raping of fish stocks , has finally collapsed the Quinte fishery.
It's a very sad time.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Walleye Master

early spawn most of the big fish are already out in lake ontario there for most of the fish entered and caught were most likely resident eyes. just wait till fall you will see that the quinte fishery is still goin strong

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:32 am 
Walleye Master

Personally, i think it fished just as expected.
If you were reading the board in the weeks before the derby, you would of got the impression that, the spawn was at least 3 weeks early,
The bay fished liked the long weekend in may, the guys that targeted the spots they would fish then, did very well.
Guys like my self included, that targeted the spawning run fish, did very poor, as the fish were already long gone.
If you look at the walleye events held later in may in past years, you will notices big fish being around 7-8 pounds, and coming from lake ontario.
http://www.quintefishing.com/qfs2011walleye.htm
winning weight was 4 walleye 21.40,

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:24 am 
Walleye Angler

The early spring has to account for some adverse fishing conditions.The trout run was one of the earliest I remember. Opening day of trout season in Grafton ,Cobourg,and Port Hope saw hundreds and hundreds of fishermen chasing very few fish.(They certainly caught some)Thats not to say that the fish were not there earlier and in good numbers, I did good opening day, just went to a lesser known area, further from the lake, seen lots of fish, no people. Also seen the Bay of Quinte graphs posted on this site in late fall, huge ammounts of fish came in, and being so early ,they are probaly back where they come from, did the Natives get some ? Im sure they did , but you cant argue with what the graphs showed,.....lots and lots of fish indicating a very healthy fishery. Ice fishing ,though treacherous this year , brought in some huge fish , in fairly decent numbers at times,The natives harvest fish in the Kawarthas ,as well as Rice Lake and that area has lots of walleye these days even in the summer.....can't wait till Saturday so I can go get a few.

banner ad
banner ad