banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weird Waves
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:42 am 
Guppy

hi everyone!! have been a lurker for a while and finally decided to join. I usually fish the mohawk bay area and have good success with a harness on a bottom bouncer. Something strange happened to us yesterday when we were fishing. It was really calm and all of a sudden a wave just appeared out of now where. it stared close to the yellow marker in Mohawk bay and continued very slowly on a diagonal to the (Forester) island toward deseronto. The best way to describe it would be like something was underwater creating a wake. here is a video of a similar occurance that happened in the states only the one we saw was smaller. [url]poleshift.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-appearance-of-unexplained[/url] there were no boats taking off and it was a strange sight to see. I was wondering if anyone else saw this yesterday or have they ever in the bay? it was kind of errie. We had a great day caught lots of fish. A lot of 6- 10 inchers was good to see. I have never seen as many small ones as i did yesterday but it is a promising sight. we managed to catch our limit of keepers and one pike. the key to our day was bottom bouncers, chartruse worm harnesses trolled at 1.3 - 1.6 in 14fow. we also caught a few along weedlines in 10 fow.
Any comments about what we saw would be appreciated.
Thanks
Redbeard

Post subject: Re: Weird Waves
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:27 am 
Walleye Master

Oh that was just lockness, could of been allot of things, I have seen those waves before, and pretty sure i don't see any boats around.
Just a guess but i wounder if it could be related to the current in that area.
Down south, the shad populations are so high, that they can create shad waves, pretty cool to see, not as big as in that video.

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Weird Waves
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 am 
Walleye Master

Welcome to the board by the wave, and thanks for the great report, i am sure it will help guys out that are struggling.

banner ad