Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:35 pm 
Walleye

I have seen posts on this before but can't seem to find the one I am looking for. So I am going to ask the question again LOL! :)
I am going to pick up a Rod/Reel Combo for trolling with Planer boards,Dipsy divers and snap wieghts.

What is your favorite rod/reel outfit for this technique.
Also, has anybody used the tattle tail flag add-on for the Offshore planner boards?

Thanks again for all the tips I have read on this board.
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SOFT WATER :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:00 pm 
Walleye

RangerGuy,

I like to use a 7 foot medium action rod. I don't have fancy equipment so I won't list the make and model of rod (I can't really remember anyways). The length is good to keep the line off the water when in the rod holder (applies more to in-line planer boards but is still useful for dual boards with a mast). The medium action is important because you don't want a stiff rod (can pull the hooks right out of a walleye's month) and you don't want a soft rod cause you still need some back bone and hook setting power.

Cheers,

Mike

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:46 am 
Guppy

I have the off-shore planers reg version and tattle flag equipped, the tattle flag isn't really needed on quinte, but has for the rods I like 8ft medium action downrigger rods with the boards limber with decent backbone and diawa sealine reels loaded with 10 lb test, when using heavier snap wiegts a medium heavy rod is usually best 7.5-8.5 ft long just so the rod isn't bent right over, but the rigger rods seem to have no-prob with the boards and a 1.5 oz weight, just invest in a good rod holder cause your arms will sure get tired.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:20 pm 
Walleye

Thanks guys very much! I am hoping to pick up the outfit at the fishing show :)

banner ad
 Post subject: Planner Boards
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:30 pm 
Minnow

The only thing I would add is if you are using in-line planner boards the braided lines such as fireline, spiderwire etc. seem to slip through the planner board clips when you use a deep diver or weights so you may want to go mono.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:18 am 
Walleye

Just wondering how many people use mono? I am thinking those line counter reels have large line capacities. So when using mono does it not end up being quite expensive because of having to put new lines on all the time or do you add some backing first then the mono?
If you use fireline or something then you probably wouldn't have to change lines for the whole season.

banner ad
 Post subject: Line replacement
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:35 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

When I replace the line on the line counter reels, I peel off the amount of line I am going to replace - 450 feet (150 yds) and leave the spool covered with the balance of the mono.

The add the new line and away you go.

Gonna try PowerPro this year, 10 lbs test has the diameter of 2lb mono - should be interesting.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:16 am 
Walleye

I thought about that too, but then that throws off all your dive curves and I am relatively new to this type of presentation. So I am going to just follow the standard way for now until I start catching fish and have some confidence in the technique then I'll start experimenting LOL!

banner ad
 Post subject: Power Pro
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:27 am 
Minnow

Superdad, I tried Power Pro and hated it. I was using it for top water Bass fishing and the twitching of the bait caused continuous knots. I don't have the same problem with Fireline. I use it for trolling in Quinte as well with a 10lb Berkley Vanish leader. Works really well!

banner ad
 Post subject: On the otherhand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

I used power pro for the first time this year and found it superior to the other superbraids. As for these types of lines slipping through the side planer pads just wrap the line around the pads a second. This double grip trick works just fine.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:19 pm 
Walleye

Hi Guys

I use Power Pro on all my reels , I was using Power pro on my down rigger rods and was using it on my planner board rods this fall , had no problems.... well except when i got it wrapped in my prop :oops: I use it for tubing and all my bass fishing!!! Great product plus since i've been using it I have not lost one lure to snags or bite offs
When it starts to fade I just use a majic marker to darken it up,I use different color markers for different colors of water and once in a while I'll take off all the line turn it around and put it back on the reel.... it's kinda like rotating your tires!! One thing you have to do is put mono on your spool first , about 8 or 9 rows and then blood knot the power pro to the mono , this will prevent the power pro from slidding on the spool :lol:

Big-O(phil)<!!!><

banner ad
banner ad