Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:33 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 am 
Walleye Angler

I noticed that a lot of the guys on Hay Bay keep their boats tied up to the dock, so when I finally got mine in the water this weekend, I just left it tied to the dock as well.

Usually I have taken it out after every use, so I have never really noticed if it took on water or not. Any ways, we had a bit of rain recently (soaked the carpeted casting decks, as well as everything else) so I ran the bilge pump. Ran for about 10 seconds that morning. Came home in the evening and it ran for another 5-10 seconds. This morning it ran for another 10 seconds.

Is it more likely that I have a small leak, or is it just taking a long time for the water to drain into the bilge area? Curious as to how often you guys who leave your boats docked, run you bilge pumps.

Is it normal for a fish/ski type boat to take on some water through the day? It does take on some if I run down the lake if its rough, but I thought it would be fine left docked. Anyways, I was just curious if this was normal, or if I should take the boat out of the water and check for leaks.

Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 am 
Walleye

If it is a riveted aluminum boat it is a good chence it could be leaking at some location. Finding it is rather difficult, one way is take boat out of the water on a trailer, put as much water is possible in the boat and see where it is leaking.

A aluminum welded boat seldom leaks but if it does do the same as above.

It could be just the rain we have been getting light showers lately,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Type of boat io or in would help but one thing to check is all the drainage pathways that lead to the bilge. It doesn't take much to obstruct them on many boats and it could become a safety issue in rough seas if the boat gets bow heavy. If they are partially plugged it may take some time to get the water to the bilge. Also i would invest in a float switch for the bilge pump if you are leaving it in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin

If you are going to leave it in the water I would ensure the automatic bilge and surrounding area is clean from debris. Had a friend who left his boat in the water and the auto bilge got stuck from debris and wouldnt activate the pump. End result was a sunk boat from heavy rain while he was away for a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

It's a fiberglass fish/ski set up like a bass boat. Does it seem like a lot of water to run the bilge twice for 10-20 seconds?

Also do most guys run theirs everyday? Thanks guys I'm new to this and would hate to have my boat sink.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

My bilge pump isn't auto I have to flip the switch myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:45 pm 
Walleye Master

It would take alot of water to sink it. I've noticed with my boat, if the boat is sitting level, not alot of water would come out from the bilge pump. When the boat is tilted slightly backwards, all the water would drain to the back where the pump is, and would shoot out more water. Next time you're on the water, run the pump when you feel the boat is off plane.. (leaning back) till it's empty, then check for water again a few days later. I do't know how much rain you guys have had recently, but we've had a ton here in Durham Region. It's probably just rain water from the last few days, and maybe some leftovers from before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

if your bilige isnt auto it would be a very worthwhile investment to go get one. Its not hard to install and peace of mind is worth it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:16 pm 
Walleye Master

Diffidently get a auto, (a pump with a float, so when water comes in the float goes up and turns on the pump).
My last bass boat (88 skeeter) , spent summers in the water, i did have a cover i put on it, that kept the ran out. but if i left it uncovered in heavy rain it would come on for around 30 seconds at a time.

Leaving the boat in the water is diffidently the way to go, Its nice to be able to just jump in and go fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:11 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for all the replies. I went and checked on it again last night, and it was dry. First time. However when I checked it this morning it ran for about 4 seconds and then was dry. My guess is it was most likely the rain taking a long time to reach the bilge from the casting deck. I also think that some water probably comes in where the rub rail is I think that it covers a seam where the top of the boat and the bottom are joined.

Anyways, I think that I will take your advice Dan and invest in an auto bilge, but I was wondering what kind of drainage it would place on my battery if we had a bunch of rain. Do you wire it to the starting battery or the trolling motor batteries? Thanks again.

By the way, I am located about 5 doors down from Blakewoods, and I drive an 18 ft ebtide fish/ski blue on silver with a white bimi top. If you see me out there say hi.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Admin

I run past your place all the time. The pumps dont actually pull that much from the batteries. I would place it on the starting battery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 am 
Walleye

mountainministries wrote:
... I was wondering what kind of drainage it would place on my battery if we had a bunch of rain...
Dan

Much better to drain the batteries than sink the boat! Like Dan said they don't use much (unless you are taking on a lot of water). Very big piece of mind having the automatic pump - wouldn't be without it!

If I have water in mine I run a short piece with it still in the hole - bow high. Lets more water run to the back.

P.S. Don't put small perch in your livewell as a joke. The stupid thing will end up plugging the livewell overflow and then your aerator will fill your boat :oops:. Auto bilge pump helps in this situation :? . I think i will put a screen over my livewell outlet if I intend on keeping 4" perch.

banner ad