banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Boat Launch BS!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:41 pm 
Walleye Master

Truck....$50,000

Boat....$50,000

Waiting and watching the owners take 20 minutes and 4 shots to get their boat out of the water......PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

Actually not that funny if you're the one (of many) waiting in line. :roll: :roll:

I know practice makes perfect, but practice on a Monday or Tuesday, not Saturday!!!!! :? :?

Post subject: Re: Boat Launch BS!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

I don't know, I have made my share of bone head moves at the launch so I am usually pretty forgiving for people making an honest attempt at loading and launching and having problems, what drives me nuts is when people park idiotically and turn a launch with 8 spots into one with 2! The next couple of weeks are going to be gong show central thats all there is to it, thats why the week after labour day is my favourite time of year, most backlake launches are empty from then until this time next year.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Confession: I'm not too good at backing a boat trailer in because I don't get out enough to to it so before heading somewhere where I know its going to be a busy launch, I practice the night before with no one around to get the hang of it again so that the next day, I look like a pro and know one would know unless they read this post lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:33 pm 
Walleye Master

It's not so much the lack of experinece that's an issue, but the ignorance some people have. I've had issues at a ramp before too, but I do my best not to inconvenience others. You have to realize that there are people trying to get in, and trying to get out. If I know I'm going to be slow, I'll let others go ahead of me. After waiting in my truck for 15 minutes, seeing that they were having problems, I got out and offered to help. Because I didn't speak their language, I was pretty much invisible. They didn't want any help from me. (so much for helping a brother out) An employee of the marina had to come out to try and help because backups were starting to happen, and people were complaining.

Patience is a virtue, but that was a complete JOKE!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
Walleye Master

Cheap entertainment. a cup of tea and the wellington boat launch......... you all should try it you would be totally amazed at what you will see, and best part its totaly free lol
My all time favorite so far nice truck nice big boat pulls up backs up to the head of the launch blocks the whole show gets out un does his top loads his boat all his gear 4 coolers life jackets bumpers fishing poles puts on his down riggers 45 minutes go by, and by now there is 2 boats waiting to put in, and 3 waiting to get out, and this guy didnt have a worry or a care in the world because we all know the world is willing to wait there turn lol any normal person would have done all this stuff off to the side and then launch and thats one of a million stories i could tell lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks Grizz. I knew someone would understand. LOL. Worst part about it is me and everyone else had to pay $7 to watch it!!!! Anyways, I'm sure I'll be back there next weekend, and I'm sure I'll see the same thing again!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:30 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Best one i ever saw was at Collins Bay. Though i would venture forth a cast but drove down to see the conditions at the ramp (fri night long weekend) trucks and boats backed up on the road so i park and walk down to the ramp just to see. The guy holding everyone up is a friend so i go over to see what he is doing. He is taking the battery OUT of the truck to boost the boat. I then notice a couple of 5 gallon gas cans so i asked him if he didn't drive buy a gas station on the way there so he could fill up the boat there and not at the ramp. I then notice the kids are trying to blow up the ski tube with their mouths.I told him he will be lucky if he doesn't get the crap kicked out of him. I told him he should be able to pull in,turn around and launch the boat in about 4 minutes or less and yes while he is entitled to use the ramp he has to be more considerate to others. I have been on both sides of the coin here so i try to help out and be patient.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

I got chewed out once trying to get out late in the year was spinning on ice so it took me a bit. As the guy stands there arms folded telling me quit F^%$ing around and get my boat out so he can retrieve his offers no help to my buddy to push. He backs his truck in well im off to the side strapping down and puts the trailer off the edge and has truck completely stuck and starts telling everyone around to help. It took 4 guys to help him get it out after he took the boat off the trailer and re positioned and loaded again. I know, because i stood there and watched with my arms folded lol. I am the first to help someone dock if im right there or launch there boat if there alone. I have seen it all on the bay here, Last year i encountered a guy with his truck half under water waiting for a tow truck. Trenton arena is the worst for taxi's parking in the middle of boat launch and not moving for you. Or just the people that park there to eat or just park with there lights shinning in your eyes as you try and back the trailer into the water at night.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:03 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Ya the wellington launch can be a *** show at times. Last weekend I watched a guy have a hell of a time getting his boat positioned on the trailer then after 10 mins dragged the skeg up the launch and across the parking lot. I guess I know now why he had so much trouble getting the boat on the trailer. (he was parked way too shallow too). Last year I saw on 2 occasions guys having trouble getting the boat off the trailer. They would push it and it would spring back. Push again spring back again.. You guessed it. The transom tie downs were still on. I'm normally pretty patient but there was a couple times I had to ask people to hurry up so others could use the ramp. I don't mind newbs but if you are slow at least TRY and hurry.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I agree guys.... it makes for some fine entertainment!!!! A couple weeks back I had to wait almost an hour as a Ford went back to far and stalled half under! It was priceless, I tried to help!
But my all time fave was many moons ago.... When one late November morning a guy was standing on the dock with the rope around his wrist when his partner backed up the boat rather quickly to shoot it off the trailer. Well buddy couldn t let go and could slow the boat so he went right off the end of the dock with it for a cold swim. LOL
It truly makes for great story telling!!!
Like Grizz says.... many more!
At the least... Most of us realize "what NOT to do"

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:52 am 
Walleye Fingerling

I was fishing off the dock in Collins Bay many years ago when a bass boat came flying in. I asked if he wanted a hand tying off as he was by himself and he just stared through me like he was a higher caste because of the shiny new boat. He drove right up to the dock, with his trolling motor jutting out from the bow horizontally which was the first thing to touch. When it bent away on the springs it was attached to the boat with, OOPS wait, there were no springs. I asked him if it was supposed to bend like that but he didn't seem to want to answer that question either so I waited to stop laughing before I went back to fishing.
John

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:15 am 
Walleye Wisdom

It can be frustrating. What I hate is when someone new to boats is trying and struggling to launch and guys just give the new guy a hard time. Yelling and swearing at the guy with his kids instead if helping and trying to teach them something. But it goes both ways. I've seen guys back up by braille and then load rods and tackle, coolers and other stuff why people are waiting. And I've asked guys if they needed help and been told to f off.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:26 am 
Walleye

The funniest situations are the domestic disputes where the guy is getting his wife to back the truck in for what seems to be the first time in her life. After a bit of this they're screaming at each other. Here's a few
- forgot to put the plug in. - me
- can't find the key.
- trying to launch with the straps still on. - me
- boat won't start - kill swith not attached - me
- trailer in too far when loading - anger sets in when boat keeps coming out tilted - anger also building with those waiting.
I've found over many years that it is the nimrods with the shiney 20 foot io runabout putting it in for the first time since last year. They do more fiddle-F***ing than anyone. They are totally oblivious to what's going on around them.
Here in Seeley's Bay the people who stay on their boats don't go anywhere on the weekends - they can watch an all day show right in front of them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:34 am 
Walleye

We used to have a place on Rice Lake near Bewdley and would make a point of being at the public launch for the Boat Launching Olympics on both opening days. We'd come over from the cottage in the 14' and sit out in the bay and watch the antics. My favorite was Pike opening a couple of years ago, we watched a brand new truck with an a beautiful Ranger behind it park on the road. The boat was half blocking the launch and the owner was going around asking people to back up the boat as he had never attempted it. A good samaritan helped them launch, they turned the boat around and floored the 250, rocking every boat in the area. The best was yet to come, a thunderstorm blew in and probably 6-8 boats were trying to get off, Ranger docked and proceeded to find someone to back up his trailer and then actually managed to drive the boat on the trailer too fast and ended up sideways, wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I always make sure iam the first at the launch in the dark before all the traffic shows up,i find this much better for the stress and your on the water in 5 minutes.if you dont want to head out in the dark sit in your boat and have a coffee till your ready,if more experienced boaters launched a little earlier it would releive some boat launch line ups,i must say i never wait more than one boat in the am,so people set the alarm a hour earlier if you have no patience like myself.lol

banner ad
banner ad