Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: New on the BOQ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:14 pm 
Goby

This is my first posting so I guess I'm in the 'beg' category. I have been reading the postings and am appreciating the info being shared. I have fished Quinte a couple of time before but always in August. Three of us are heading to BOQ next weekend and staying at Perfect Vue. I had a few questions and hoped (aka beg) that you guys could help steer me in the right direction in a few things. I will be happy to share any learnings after my trip is over....assuming we have any! I am running a 16' Smokercraft with a 50 HP. Seen a few comments about Sherman's Point launch.....if I can't get the boat in there, what are my options close to Perfect Vue? Although I have lots of experience with small lake walleye I am new to fishing for the big ones and am looking to start to invest in some trolling gear. I don't want to break the bank for one weekend so what would you guys suggest I invest in to get started...my choices it seems are planer boards, dipsy divers, bottom bouncers with lures or worm harnesses. Also...where would you start if we are heading our from Sherman's Point. Too many questions for a first time post?? Sorry.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: New on the BOQ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:33 pm 
Walleye Master

Welcome, nothing wrong with asking questions. The best advice I can give you is start reading. This forum has endless info on targeting fall walleye. Hard to say what to invest in without knowing what you already have. You don't have to have all the best gear to catch fish. Make sure you have good line on your reel (I use 20lb braid). Use rapala td-11's or 800 series reef runners, usually purples or greens.

Go see stacy at pro tackle in belleville, he'll point you the right way.

If you can't launch at shermans then it would be deseronto, glenora or picton. All are a few miles or more from perfect vue.

Hopefully this helps and good luck

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:37 pm 
Walleye Master

I can't help you out with launches, because I don't know. Seems like alot of launches are in rough shape. Maybe call PV and ask them. If you're in a 16' boat, it can be a long haul to Adolphus Reach/Picton in windy weather. The bigger fish will be in that area though. If you're going to fish Hay Bay area, you won't need Dipsey Divers. Trolling cranks would probably be the way to go, but worm harness/bottom bouncer, and/or jigging would also work. I also have a 16' boat, and if I want to fish for the "Big Ones" I launch close to where they are, or might be, and PRAY for no wind. LOL. Too hard to travel by water in that size boat. Fish Shermans and Thompsons for eaters, and maybe the odd 4-6 pounder, and have fun!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:14 pm 
Walleye

Welcome aboard and enjoy the conversations as they will be getting HOT soon with the first true cold temps. In line planner boards with the lures mentioned for trolling and jigs tipped with minnow or spoons for eaters. If you see boats anchored they are jigging for eaters, and the boats with boards just follow them for the big fish (give space). You are out the same weekend as Slay the lamb so if you like go talk to the guys at Picton and see what they are using cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:56 am 
Walleye

I have a trailer at perfect vue, shermans launch can be used stay off cement pad when looking at the lake go off the right side should be no problem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:57 am 
Walleye

sorry I ment the left side the right when backing doen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Hey Bob

Doesn't Perfect Vue launch boats at their place?

David aka Superdad

PS There's a ton of fishing out of Perfect Vue, Long Reach, between Shermans Pt and the Thompsons Pt, Have a look and see where the charter boats are fishing, that's a good place to start - don't get too close as they have their planer boards out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 pm 
Goby

Hey guys...thanks a TON for the responses. Gives me a great start. As per BigMac's advice I have also been spending a lot of time reading. I have invested in a few recommended Reef Runners and a bit of other new equipment including a planer board. It will be an adventure and a lot of fun for sure. We are all hard fishers so will be learning by trying a few new tactics for us. When I return....I'd be happy to maybe go from the 'beg' category to the 'brag' category on this message board....wishful thinking !? Or just to share some info. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 pm 
Minnow

Welcome Ed , Was there last week boated two 3lbs. lost one , try tail dancers in 30 to 40 feet of water, fishing down 20 feet in the reach between Thompson's pt to Mallory bay, stay to the deeper side of the reach fish were stacked. Good luck the big ones are still east of the ferry. As the Fat man said stay next to the stump and between the cement pad and you will launch with no problem.

banner ad