Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:44 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 pm 
Baitfish

Evening All;

I'm new to the boating/ fishing scene. Summer 2012 I picked up a used 12 foot aluminum boat for myself and 2 teenage sons to get out to fish on the water. I also bought a new 50 lb trolling motor & battery. I attempted to buy a used gas motor, turns out it was a dud. My question is, what would the best motor be for the application. Normally, it would be the 3 of us out fishing, the odd time, just 2. but Never solo fishing. Looking for a decent/ low maintenence motor without a HIGH pricetag. But also something that will last. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm 
Guppy

Check the maximum horsepower of the 12 footer and max it out!!!!! You never have too much power, you can always throttle down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:03 am 
Walleye Angler

Instead of getting a motor for this boat you may want to look for a larger boat, with 3 people and gear you would be pushing the limits of the weight capacity for a 12footer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:00 am 
Walleye Angler

jjz wrote:
Instead of getting a motor for this boat you may want to look for a larger boat, with 3 people and gear you would be pushing the limits of the weight capacity for a 12footer.

Exactly! Once you get it loaded up with tackle, life jackets safety gear, ores anchor and three adults and the weather changes for the worst while you are out you are now in a world of hurt. You need at least a good deep 14 footer minimum. Be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 am 
Walleye Angler

jjz wrote:

I agree with hutchy
if you are looking at a motor you might want to look at something a liitle bigger overall but will not bust the bank. I run in a 15ft princeraft with a 25 tiller more importantly it is deep and wide i have 2 rod holder up frony and 2 downriggers in the middle. Works for me !!!
PS could be up for sale?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:23 am 
Guppy

I had a 12ft springbok for waterfowlin, but i was a little cumbersome being 5'11" and 270lbs so I used an extension tiller handle and sat in the middle of the boat with an old 1968 9.8 merc it flew! a little scary in the dark on rough water though!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

Borrowed a 12 ft w/ a 15hp which convinced me to purchase. a deep 14 foot al with a 25 merc, worked very well for 3, excellent for 2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 am 
Walleye

I grew up on 12' boats and they all had 9.9hp motors that was more than plenty plus don't know if its still correct but with under 10hp you don't need to register your boat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Walleye

Some good advise being posted in the above comments here. If you are new to boating and plan on going out on a lake in a 12 footer with 2 teenage sons i think you will be taking some big chances. You will definitly be maxed out on weight if you add in all the equipement , fuel, etc. and running into 1-3 ft chop is no fun at all. I would consider a good 14 - 15 boat with a 15 - 20 hp motor, you will be much safer in that. We used to call 12 footers, widowmakers, for good reason as anything that can happen seems to happen out there.
On the water , i always consider safety first and that has saved me more than once.
Good luck and safe boating..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:13 am 
Walleye Wisdom

TJ,

If you are planning on fishing on Quinte, you should think about your safety first.

I have a 14 ft deep Lund with a 9.9 Johnson and a Lund Pro-V 18 footer with a 150 hp ETEC.

I would be comfortable in the 14 ft only on a calm evening. Any other time I want to be in my 18 footer. The weather on Quinte can change at the drop of a hat.

I would not recommend anything under 16 ft on Quinte. I realize you don't want to spend much money, but you can always justify spending more money, if your families safety is on the line.

Good Fishing,
BATMAN 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm 
Walleye Master

BATMAN wrote:
TJ,

If you are planning on fishing on Quinte, you should think about your safety first.

I have a 14 ft deep Lund with a 9.9 Johnson and a Lund Pro-V 18 footer with a 150 hp ETEC.

I would be comfortable in the 14 ft only on a calm evening. Any other time I want to be in my 18 footer. The weather on Quinte can change at the drop of a hat.

I would not recommend anything under 16 ft on Quinte. I realize you don't want to spend much money, but you can always justify spending more money, if your families safety is on the line.

Good Fishing,
BATMAN 8)

Agreed Batman....I switched from a 14' to 16' 5 years ago, and still wish I had bigger. Unless you live close to the water, where you can pick and choose your outings according to weather, anything smaller than 16' could be an issue. It is possible in a 14 footer, but if you plan a trip a month or two in advance, be prepared to be sitting at the dock with a frown on your face when the weather is rough.

banner ad