Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Sitting here on a rainy fall day and starting to research 2013 fishing trips. This summer (if I can find the time and a couple fishing buddies to come along) I would like to spend a week fishing Lake Nipigon for speckleds, lakers and pike.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience / advice on fishing the lake, camping in the area.... I am not sure yet whether I would camp on the mainland close to the lake and trailer the boat each morning or look for a site to camp on one of the islands in the lake.

Thanks

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:41 pm 
Walleye

Hey Jim...

If you are looking for a real Northern Experience, Lk Nipigon and the surrounding small lakes is the place to go. I have been up several times and have not been disappointed, didn't make it last year though. Always stayed at Onamon River Resort which is quite a trek in off the beaton path, rustic cabin but everything you need. Rob is the owners name I believe...the camp was an old mining/2nd world war prisoner camp and is at the base of some spectacular falls...from there it is a 15-20 minute boat ride out the Onamon River to Lake Nipigon. Spec fishing is legendary but we have only managed 3-5lbers...basically slow troll the islands with worm spinners and casting into the shoreline with Mr. Champs/Little Cleo's etc. The Onamon River is mid lake on the eastern shoreline just north of Livingstone Point Provincial Park. We didn't venture too far out of Humboldt Bay. Be careful though...I doubt if you will see another boat let alone any cottages dottong these shorelines.
If you do stay at the camp...they have boats for rent as well on Lake Onamon, there is no road access to this lake and it is about a mile walk into it but well worth the walk...last June we fished it for 6 hours and must have found a honey hole as it was literally non-stop action but had a tough time catching slot fish as they were all in excess of 25 inches...great places to pull up for shore lunch all over these lakes.

If you decide to go I can save you save time on Onamon and send you to that hole...it produces year after year.

There are also many more resorts closer to Jelicoe and equally as good.

Steve

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:44 pm 
Walleye Angler

Fished Lake Nipigon twice out of Beardmore, with a guide by the name of Goodman and really enjoyed it. I would study your timing and regulations carefully. Giant muddlers done as a jig were the ticket when I was there which falls in line with the history of the area. I would like to do it again in addition to fishing the river and of course Nipigon Bay, given its diversity and more liberal seasons.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:02 pm 
Walleye

Yes..agree...check the regs, I would never have thougt this remote Lake Onamon would have slots sizes, and don't always rely on the place you stay for the correct info either.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for the info guys. I looked into Onamon River Resort and a couple others, might be a good alternative to camping for my first trip to the area. Also considering camping at Poplar Lodge Park near Beardmore or taking the plunge and island camping. Just need to convince a couple of my fishing buddies with commitment issues, to get off their butts.

Thanks again.

JimW

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 am 
Walleye Catcher

Send me a PM and i will give you my email. i lived there for 7 years and fished it all the time. i know some of the guides as well. You might consider fishing Superior out of Nipigon as well. Fishing North Superior is unreal...but so is Lake Nipigon

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I fish it a few times a year. Biggest advice I can give you is do not bring your light tackle trout gear, it will be destroyed. Also bigger trout in the Nip river.

And if your driving up stop from wawa to the west side of marathon, all those little creeks hold huge specks, ad marathon is your best chance at a coaster

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:51 am 
Walleye Angler

The fishing is absolutely amazing. We went 5 years ago with North Superior charters Inc. We are going back this June. He takes you out to his private camp 25miles out at the mouth of Nipigon bay and drops you off the whole week, you see knowone else because it is the only private land in the area. troll around in any depth of water from 5 ft to 150ft and just toss a crank bait or spoon over the side and catch lakers like you would rock bass off a dock with worms. at the same time you could hook into a salmon, giant speckles, Rainbow, or whitefish. Also he has another boat on a small lake on the the Nipigon Penisula that you walk 5 minutes into and catch walleye. The camps are set up really well equipted and he has one 16ft lund with 15hp hondas for every to guys to use with fuel there. You can round the corner and be right in Lake supirior if the weather is nice, but this plenty of sheltered areas for perfectly safe fishing in all weather. If you fish really serious and start casting on shores you have a really good chance to get even more big specks and rainbows.... The crazy thing is all the fish can be caught in the same location. We didnt keep any fish to take home until the last day of fishing and we were able to limit out in lakers, and almost limit in bows and specks and a few salmon. That was 8 guys. First place I have ever been casting to shore and had lakers hitting spoons on the surface.
When we went before the camp was set up for 8 guys, now he has built another camp so they can accomidate up to 16 people, we are going with 14. He has a 32ft stanley to get you and your gear out there and a buddy with a smaller boat for the rest of the group.
Email me at apmikel@hotmail.com and I can send you some pictures if you want.

adam

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Jim...i will get back to you with a private email. The post right before me is right on,that's who I would recommend if you want to fish Superior. His name is Dave Brennan "aka" chicken hawk. You will fall in love as the are he mentions is unsurpassed. The guy for Lake Nipigon would be Tim Carroll who I had the pleasure of meeting way back when. Both experiences will be greatly appreciated. In fact I ran into a guy in Syracuse NY at a Gander Mountain who I was helping out with a purchase and we got to talking and I told him i was Canadian and he mentioned how much he loved Canada (they all do) and he mentioned that he and his buddies go "up north" every year to fish Lake Nipigon and he had been doing it for 20 years...of course when i told him i had lived there for 7 years we had quite a chat. I will try to get you some more contact info on the charter stuff but you could drag your boat up and camp as you suggested and still have a good time. There are plenty of places to camp if you are into that.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for all the detailed tips greatly appreciated. I am planning on atleast 7 days fishing the Nipigon area, I will be bringing my boat, but I am also considering booking a charter for a day or two to help us learn somw local tips.

JimW

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 pm 
Goby

Lake Nipigon is "THEE BEST" speck alke there is. And Nighthawk Charters is the boat you want to be on. And from what I hear its going back in the water this year. It has been layed up after Tims passing but sounds like Nighthawk Charters will be running again this year!!!!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 am 
Walleye Angler

All that needs to be said "amazing!" going back this june

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:41 am 
Guppy

Lake Nipigon is not very canoe friendly. I have paddled the Namewaminikan River quite a few times (known locally as the Sturgeon River) which empties into lake Nipigon. We usually camp on the sand spit at the end of the river and make a very early morning break to paddle the 5 k to the park to get out before the Lake wakes up. Lake Nipigon is temperamental, and can go from calm to huge waves in an hour. I have been in 40 foot fishing boats on the lake and watched as the boats beside us disappeared in troughs and resurfaced on crests.

If you've done any paddling on the Great Lakes or the oceans, you'll have an idea of what to expect.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 pm 
Jumbo Perch

From what I've read there is a PP at the southeast end of the lake so I imagine that there is a boat launch and spots to camp there - I've never been there but sure would like to see the place some day - I have that on my wish list -

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:58 am 
Walleye Angler

I have now added fishing both the river and the lake and hope to fish out into Lake Superior proper, at some point. Quebec Lodge is one place I stayed at two springs ago and really enjoyed it. It sure is one interesting fishery.

banner ad
banner ad