Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:15 am 
Walleye Angler

I know that many of us catch drum when out fishing for other fish and often we throw it back, however when watching Italo lately I have seen him promoting the harvesting of sheepshead. So while the walleye are still learning how to bite our hooks, maybe there is another fish out there that we could be taking as table fare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1e2FdspN5E

Thought you might find it interesting.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 am 
Walleye

Italo better have made shore lunch out of that as he didn't leave skin/scales on for fish ||ID for transport. I've never caught one but Quinte trips will be happening next weekend and one after that so if I catch one I'll give it a go. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:23 am 
Walleye Wisdom

maybe poached Sheepies taste better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 am 
Walleye Angler

I know some people get them in the spring and catch and eat drum but my god, if you took one this time of year you might was well serve it with a mudpie because that's all you're going to taste!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 am 
Walleye

I have eaten them before, the smaller ones do make fine table fare, but being a bottom feeder I will not consume a large one. Kinda like catfish or carp in my eyes, does have a real fishy taste. Being the walleye/ perch snob that I am I seldom put them in the livewell...

RED

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Get a small one in the spring, filet the fish and cut the fish into bite sized chunks, drop in boiling water for a few minutes, remove and drop into a cold water bath to stop the cooking.

Serve the fish chunks with cocktail sauce and it tastes just like Cocktail Sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did it once.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:52 pm 
Walleye

Italo's an idiot............

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:42 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I don't think the "idiot" comment is warranted. I have know and fished with him for 40 years. Italo is a spiritual man and a gentleman, I have NEVER heard him say a bad word about anyone. Posting a comment like that is rather gutless and pointless and has no place on a fishing forum.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Jim Lyon wrote:
I don't think the "idiot" comment is warranted. I have know and fished with him for 40 years. Italo is a spiritual man and a gentleman, I have NEVER heard him say a bad word about anyone. Posting a comment like that is rather gutless and pointless and has no place on a fishing forum.

x2

I don't know him but he seems to take a lot of $h!t for a transgression that took place a long time ago. Seems to be a nice guy and of all of the fishing shows based in Ontario (and there are quite a few) no one showcases BOQ as much as CSF.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I posted my results last fall about eating Quinte Sheephead, it was perfectly fine. And if I can get the skunk of my boat I will keep a few more this fall.

If you take a look at a sheephead its mouth is at the bottom of its head, but the mouth does not open down, they are not an exclusive bottom feeder, (if they were why are we catching them 30 feet down over 100+ feet of water in Aldolphus Reach). Nothing like a carp.

There is the link to my culinary adventure last fall.

http://forum2.quintefishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12571&hilit=for+the+team+sheephead

Try it you might like it.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 pm 
Walleye

I've fished with him for many years and he regularly flosses browns amd salmon in the streams in the fall. No bs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:08 pm 
Walleye

Jim Lyon wrote:

i have to agree with jim on this one.. i have also known italo since he was a young kid, and a finer gentleman today you will have a hard time finding..... we may all differ on what we think of someone, but without really knowing the person, i feel you are way out of line posting something like that on a public forum... i sometimes think that jealousy leads to these comments.... italo has manged to take a love of fishing and turn it into a very rewarding career both finacially and lifestyle wise...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:22 pm 
Walleye

sunrisecottageresort wrote:
maybe poached Sheepies taste better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

great play on words..lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

I figure if you're going to catch and kill it, you'd better be prepared to eat it.

Being a bottom feeder, it's not at the 'top of the food chain' like pike and walleye, and therefore would theoretically have lower concentrations of contaminants in it. I expect that will prove true in the consumption guidelines.

Similar to catfish and carp, which also are not universally "esteemed" table fare, I've cooked and eaten both carp and catfish with good results. Sure the time of year and size determines quality, but I for one would be game to try it. Looks kinda like a meaty bass.

If Jim W can do it, I can do it. Just hav'ta catch one first.

Maple

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 pm 
Walleye Catcher

9iron...a finer gentleman you will never meet...other than me right? Remember I got the boat. Gee Hammer I just read-read your post and it was really well written,did your wife do it for you? There is no way you did it on your own.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad