banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 am 
Perch

Just a heads up to anyone heading out from the Deseronto launch that about 100 yds almost straight out from the dock and perhaps 20 yds to the east, there is a rock or something very hard that comes up straight from the bottom. My depth finder didn’t show the rise in the bottom of the lake until well after I hit it. It cut my Sunday fishing trip pretty short (about 2 minutes) as it broke off a huge piece of my prop and severly damaged whatever I still have left. It also dented the skeg which looks like something a rock would do rather than a dead head or stump.

Just thought I should mention it because it was in 10 feet of water where the drop is very gradual and it was in an area that I had always considered “safe” or at least “free of boat damaging stuff”. Afterwords talking to others at the lauch, they were surprised as well as to where I hit something as it was in the same line that most people use to go in and out from the dock.

Cheers,
Macman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up you probably just saved a few of us a some costly repairs. Sorry to hear about the damage and hope insurance can cover it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:55 am 
Guppy

I hit the same stuff on Sunday in the same spot :( . I saw nothing on the graph and all of a sudden I hit something. I was a bit luckier because I did not lower my motor completely and I just scratched the skeg. On my way back I was trying to explore the area on my trolling motor but did not find anything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:12 am 
Walleye Master

Thanks for getting the word out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:32 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks, is the dock still in at Deseronto.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Perch

Yes, The dock is still in at Desoronto.
It is a bit challenging to launch/ load as there is a rock mound about 30 ft down the lift in the water but I was able to launch a 17ft boat by floating it over the mound with motor up :D and then I was able refloat it back on the trailer about 10 minutes later :( . So I would say the launch is in good shape. It gets deep quickly to allow the trailer to get deep enough to float the boat off before the rock mound.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for the heads up!
And yes... that launch is tricky to launch right now. I wonder how big of a boat did that when power loaded. :o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:15 pm 
Baitfish

Launched a pro v 2075 on Monday and tues at this launch. Dock is still in. And was able to float it over the rock pile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:54 pm 
Goby

I was at dock when when he hit what ever it is out there. Please everyone beware you won't expect it out that far.
As far as the launch goes just take your time and ease your boat off rather then dump it in fast and keep motor all the way up no issues in or out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

HEY GUYS<
water level low,
If anyone out that wya has the gumtion, this might be the time to move that PROPWASH PILE OF ROCKS...

Get some hips waders on and move from the middle to the Sides, so that future prop wash shoots into the lake more.. ???

Or we could do what michigan does,

create a grou that maintains all northenr shore lake ontario launches, and gets moeny to do so from the boating registrations.
apparently that group is trying to make all canoes and kayaks registerable so they can tax the paddlers so everyone has a great loading dock...

~Jeremy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:21 pm 
Baitfish

Maybe tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:19 am 
Baitfish

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that obstacle has been been there for about 4 years now. How do I know, I hit it coming in from a day out on the water, same result, take prop in for repairs. Now I have a second prop as a back up.

Suggestion to all, when leaving the dock, veer to the west to avoid and the same upon returning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Seems like a brick, old bleach jug,a couple of feet of rope and a few minutes of someone's time would be in order if thinking if it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the heads up. I have been in and out of that launch about 6 times this fall and I guess I have more luck than I thought I had as I haven't hit it which suprises me with my luck. I got a brand new 20 ft deep v with a 115 4-stroke on the back and I scratched the hull and bottom of the motor on that lovely hump that is at the launch the first time I launched at Deseronto(3rd time boat was in the water). I was p!$$ed about that I would of freaked if I had of hit whatever you hit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 am 
Walleye Wisdom

we have to get this thing marked guys,does anyone have it tracked on there gps,ill be up that way this week and could go out and mark it if i knew where it was?

banner ad