Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:41 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 pm 
Minnow

My son and I are headed to the bay of quinte in the next 2-3 weeks for our first attempt at pickerel fishing. We've got a 16 foot legend tin boat and have our regular fishing rods and just bought a couple of lead core reels.

What would you suggest for a couple of beginners?

I was going to launch at Desoronto just because it's closest to were we're coming from (other side of TO). But I see someone mentions launching there and then travelling by boat. Do folks not fish walleye all the way along from Desironto right out to the lake?

And should we get our lead core set up for 3 colours (currently 10) and troll with the lead core and the copper-coloured lures the store sold us? Or should we put on a pickeral rig with some worms? Or something else?

We don't need to be seasoned pros,just looking for enough general advice to give us a chance at getting a fish or two :). I'd welcome your general pointers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

planer boards,deep rapalas

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:39 am 
Walleye Angler

Reef runners and TD-11's in the deeper water. Could probably go to TD-9's in the 30-35 ft water. I don't think too many of the guys even run lead core, some do though. I am not a pro, as you can tell from ANY of my posts, but this seems to be what lures the fall posts from the past years has been about.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Admin

In terms of general pointers, most guys run line counter reels with inline planerboards. Right now many are focusing their efforts east of glenora ferry to interecpt the walleye as they move in from the big lake. Popular baits are reef ruuner 800 series, Rapala Tail dancers #11 and Manns +20. Also east of the ferry you can run 2 lines each. Its a long run to that area from deseronto. You may want to consider launching from picton. Good luck and if you have the time grab a drink and read old posts from previous years as their is alot of good info and will help with the learning curve. good luck and let us know how you make out

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 pm 
Minnow

Looks like we'll be heading out either Thursday or next monday, depending on the weather. I'm unfamiliar with the area and the various launches. Any advice on what launch we should be using? 15.5 aluminum legend boat with a 30hp motor.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I would start fishing as I headed down Long Reach, start at the submerged cable(signon the west side) and fish past the 1st red marker on the left, then head to next red marker on the left and start trolling in the middle southward to the white fairway marker.

That willput in some time and you should be over fish.

If you want to motor to the ferry and start with two rods per person, then troll eastly to the green marker on the right side of the reach.

You should see many boats past the ferry, keep a keen eye.

Lotsa Luck

David aka SUperdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:13 pm 
Minnow

Thanks Dave, for the friendly advice. When you say 'long reach', what launch is that at? We're coming from the other side of TO (from the west). Someone mentioned a few weeks ago I should launch at picton - is that still the case?

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:10 pm 
Walleye

Wheel...Long Reach is likely better accessed from Deseronto Launch particularly where SuperDad suggests fishing. We fished this past weekend netting 4 nice sized Walleye with 3 being caught in front of the Cement Plant which is just out of Picton harbour on your Port side. This is about 5 minutes by boat from the Picton launch...gets you fishing quicker. You'll be in 30ft or so of water, we ran Silver Husky Jerks 100-125 feet back of an inline planner board. The boards are definately worth the investment.
If you stay along that shoreline it eventually takes you into Long Reach passing the mouth of Hay Bay between Thompson and Shermans Points...keep going to get to Superdads suggested spot another 4 or so kilometers.

Coming from TO I would take Hwy 33 exit right into Picton...keep to the left and the ramp is just past the Picton Inn on the left.

Good Luck

Steve

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 pm 
Minnow

Thanks!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Wheel. Give Jan a call at the Chamber of Commerce office in Picton and ask her to send you a copy of the "fishing map". It is a great general map for the Bay of Quinte. It shows all the names of the Bays attached to Quite. Her number is 613 476 2421. If she is out of them and you launch in Picton you will probably drive right by my front door. We have lots in our office. We are 3 km past the LCBO in Wellington on the way to Picton. Look for our sign. Sunrise Cottage Resort. Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:39 pm 
Minnow

Thanks! We'll drop by your place. It'll allow me to check it out while we're there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm 
Walleye

Hi Wheels
Depends on how long you are staying for and where. For a couple of days and a night i normally stay at the picton harbor inn 613-476-2186 in town and launch at the public harbor in picton right beside it. You may be able to tie up your boat at the back of the inn as well. They have great breakfasts and there are resturants close by. If it gets rough and it usally does i have caught a lot of fish out from the harbor , in front of the cement plant and thompsons point and east past the ferry. I found it was to long of a ride for me from desoronto to the ferry on a windy day in my boat, a 16.5 ft legend with a 60hp and correct me if i'm wrong but it's got to be about 12 - 15 plus miles. Good luck and happy fishing...

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:15 pm 
Walleye Master

In that size of boat, be careful when you pick your day. Especially if you're travelling by water. I'd launch as close as possible to where you are fishing. Winds over 25km/h will make it hard to travel and fish, and can be dangerous. Trust me. You may be able to get out of wind to fish, but maybe not to travel. I'd check wind direction the day you want to go, then decide where to launch.

Also, don't know if anyone mentioned this earlier, but if you're going to use planer boards, you will need rod holders on the boat. Most of the smaller boats don't have them, and need to be installed later.

Good Luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm 
Walleye Master

Its a tread like this that makes it so obvious this is probably the best fishing/message board on the net..... you guys are top notch ........... And Wheel. good luck out there buddy I cant add a thing to better what you have already been told by a good bunch of guys

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 pm 
Walleye Master

Well Grizzly there is one more thing that we could tell him and that is. Being he is coming down in 2-3 weeks and In the event God has been listening to my prayers you may want to consider at least an 8" auger, gas or manual a few dozen minnows, Mr Champs, Jigging Raps, Puppet Minnows etc etc. Also a portable shelter can be nice to get you out of that wind. Ha Ha Ha Ha .......

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

banner ad
banner ad