Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fogging
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:51 pm 
Walleye Master

Is fogging the motor important before winter storage. I know what it is, but yet when I look in my manual under "winter storage" it has no mention of it. I have done it a few times, but have also neglected it a few times.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Fogging
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

what make and yes i always fog during storage!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:36 pm 
Walleye

I would have to say no, if you like doing it so you sleep better that's fine but no need.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 pm 
Walleye Fry

I would say it doesn't hurt but isn't going to harm short term. If the boat is stored for 6+ mnths maybe then fogging, I would say, is required.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm 
Walleye Master

WINTERIZING YOUR OUTBOARD

I often hear people say they never stored their motor in the past, why should they spend time and money doing something if it doesn't need it? The reality is, improper off season storage of an outboard motor has cumulative effects. During the off season, engine components can and do rust — the extend of which depends on what fuel mixture was last running in the engine, and the heat and humidity the engine is stored in. When rust forms, it creates pitting in the metal — specifically, the hardened steel surfaces the needle bearings in modern engines utilize. When the engine is started each spring, the rust is washed away and the pitting remains until one year, the bearing calls it quits and a rod exists through the side of the block. Many people don't associate rod failure with poor engine storage because the failure often takes place in the middle of summer and no connection is made to poor storage practices. Naturally, when this happens, they'll blame the engine manufacturer instead of placing the blame squarely where it belongs.
Modern engines, especially oil injected ones, have so little oil in them when the key is turned off, that maintenance issues are no longer an ‘if', but a ‘when' scenario. It doesn't take much math to figure out that current oil injected outboards can run on as little as one cup of oil to five gallons of gasoline. Given that current oils are designed to lubricate and burn cleanly, (not coat and protect from rust), it's more important than ever to properly store your outboard motor and protect your investment. Bearing issues aside, the are other items that need to be addressed too so let's get started:

All Models
To prevent condensation in the fuel tank and prevent breakdown of the fuel during storage, let's fill those fuel tanks with gas and add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer (follow directions on the label for storage). So why stabilize the fuel? The current shelf life of today's fuels is pegged at about three months. After that, the additives begin to separate, the octane level drops, and the gas begins the process of ‘going bad' and varnishing fuel system components (including gumming up the carb). Since most of us are going to lay the boat up for about 6 months, this step is just as important as the others in ensuring trouble free boating next summer.

Bring the engine up to operating temperature and allow enough time for the stabilizer to reach the carbs (10-15 minutes at idle, or 3 minutes at wide open throttle). Since portable steel tanks were used for many years with outboard motors, visually inspect for water in the bottom of any steel tank(s) using a flashlight. If water is found (round globs on the bottom of the tank), dump the tank and flush thoroughly. If rust is evident, the tank should be disposed of and replaced with a new plastic style. In the water, or on a pair of earmuffs (to supply the engine with water), do the following:

For carbureted engines with a maintenance valve (newer OMC's):
Attach engine fogger to maintenance valve fitting (looks like a tire air valve -- check your owners manual for location). Start engine and bring RPM to about 1500. Push and hold the release button on the fogger and continue holding until a steady thick white smoke appears out the exhaust. Depending on the size of the engine, this should consume about a half a can of fogging oil. Turn the engine off immediately after you're finished fogging (to ensure as much fogger as possible remains in the engine) and remove the fogger from the maintenance valve.

For carbureted engines without a maintenance valve (common for most brands and years):
Depending on the engine make a model, there is either removable plastic plugs in the breather cover, small holes in the breather, or no breather at all. Since we have to spray the fogger directly into the carb throats, determine how you are going to gain access to them before you get started. If the engine is equipped with removable plugs, pop them all out now. If there are pre-drilled access holes, locate them and ensure you have as many holes as there are carb throats. If there are no plugs or pre-drilled holes, simply remove the breather cover to gain access. Install the straw adapter that came with the can of fogging oil and bring the engine up to 1500 RPM. While holding down on the release button of the fogger, spray fogging oil into each carb throat for a 3-5 seconds, then move onto the next throat. Keep going from carb to carb until a steady thick white smoke appears out the exhaust. Depending on the size of the engine, this should consume about half to 3/4 of a can of fogging oil. Turn the engine off immediately after you've finished fogging (to ensure the fogger remains in the engine).

All Models
Pull the boat out of the water (or remove the ear muffs) and keep the motor in a vertical position for at least ten minutes to ensure all water is drained from the block and passages (outboard motors are self draining and require no anti-freeze for storage). If possible, the engine should be stored in an upright position in the coldest condition possible (rust processes are slowed considerably at low temperatures, and no humidity to promote rust exists below freezing). The worst place to store your outboard is in your basement beside your furnace — high humidity and warmth will seize an engine in no time.
For those that may be storing for extended periods of time or in warm humid conditions, you might want to remove the spark plugs and squirt some additional 2 stroke engine oil or fogger into the cylinders, then roll the engine over by hand to thoroughly coat everything. Re-install the plugs to minimize condensation during the storage period.

Storing the carbs wet or dry?
Today's carburetors utilize many neoprene, rubber, and alcohol resistant materials. Draining the fuel system for storage can put these parts at risk by allowing the materials to dry out and crack. Most (if not all) manufacturers recommend the carbs be left ‘wet' — that is, they fuel is stabilized and left in the carb during the storage period. If the engine will be stored on its side, or will be traveling in a vehicle before lay-up, it may be best to drain the fuel system by disconnecting the fuel line while fogging the engine, then continue to fog until the engine runs out of fuel (choking just as it's dying will get the last bit of fuel out).

Gearcase Oil Change
At a minimum, you should inspect the gear oil before storage because if water is present in the gearcase, it can freeze and crack the case when the temperature falls (not to mention your gears and bearings will rust too). As long as your there why not change it now too so you have one less thing to do in the spring when your busy trying to get back on the water as fast as you can?

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great post Fred . you forgot about inboards :wink:

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:29 pm 
Walleye

I used to fog the various motors i had every year and the jury is out for me if it is worth it if you are storing your boat and motor for under 6 months. Longer term i would definitly do it . One thing is for sure is that i had to change plugs every year because the electrodes get oily and contaiminated and often misfired. So I went to a synthetic oil which reduces wear and tear on the motor, change it and the filter at seasons end, stabilize the fuel, changed lower end oil, and change plugs every 5 years and other manual recommended stuff and it seems to work for me. I have a 60 hp 4 stroke 2005 motor which runs well. Hope this helps..

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm 
Walleye

Great article Fred.... another factor to consider is where is the boat and motor stored inside or outside.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:38 pm 
Walleye Master

I would highly recommend it for your inboards bill as the engine block is a breading ground for moisture. I also like to add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and roll the engine a couple of revolutions with the plugs out to spread the oil just for more protection. i often roll the engine by hand but if you are going to roll it on the starter make sure you have the plugs grounded. I like to fog 6 to 8 cyl at a high idle and look for a good white smoke then kill it. Make sure you get that block drained as well and apply some antifreeze to prevent splitting. Also don't forget the out drive and change out the oil and store it in the down position. If you have to leave it in the up position make sure you place a plastic bag over the prop to keep water from collecting in there as it will split the prop when it freezes. Cover you carb also with a good plastic bag to keep out any unwanted critters. Amsoil makes a good engine fog and also Canadian Tire carries Viral engine fog that is pretty good as well. If i am doing a full service store i like to remove the prop and apply a light coat of Anti Seize or water proof marine grease to the prop shaft as well. Hope this helps buddy and if you have any questions feel free to ask or call me.... Fred

PS. I don't know to many people who will pay for heated storage so if you store indoor or outdoor the cold and moisture are still an issue.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:55 pm 
Walleye Master

Pearch guy brought up a concern about contaminated plugs and a topic i here quite often so here is a little tid bit to help save you guys some money. A quick dousing with brake clean will clean most fouled plugs and if you do a ton of then like i used to i would invest in a hand blaster to bring them back to like new condition. Most if not all 2 stroke oils today are of a synthetic base so they stay blended with today's fuel. OK enough said. Get them boats put away because i placed my order for Ice by Dec 15th. LoL

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 pm 
Guppy

Fred that is awesome, thank you. I have done my own winterizing in the past but only on a small 35hp. I upgraded this year to a 19 foot legend with a 115HP and I'm fishing until ice up (or until the bride kicks my boat out of the garage. I was concerned about doing the same thing with a 115hp, so you have answered many questions that were in my mind. One quick one though when you say gear case do you mean the lower end unit?.......Wally

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Yes Wally that would be your lower unit...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I always filled my fuel tank and doubled the recommended stabilizer amount. When I was at JP marine a couple days ago picking up oil and filter, I asked Paul about storing my boat with a full tank. He said absolutely NOT. Store it empty because the ethanol will do more damage to the fuel tank gaskets. Personally I hate his advice, but I have a water separator so I am not too worried about condensation. The two Charter that run out of our property also leave their fuel tanks empty. Anyone else have opinions on a full or empty tank?
By the way Fred, hated to do it but, the boat is done for the season. I really wanted to get out with you this Fall. Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey not a problem Dave maybe next year bud. I could go on forever about fuel and full tank VS empty tank but it gets very long winded. Ethanol is a condensation magnet and is hard on the older rubber seals. New fuel line is resistant to the effects of Ethanol so that is no longer a problem with new stuff but if you equipment is more that 5 years old chances are it may not have the new Ethanol resistant fittings. One thing i do want to stress here is the difference in stabilisers Sta-Bil in my opinion just does not cut it as it is only a stabiliser to help prevent separation. I use a product called CRC Phase Guard 4 Ethanol Fuel Treatment as it protects against the effects of Ethanol. It is effective for fuel with an Ethanol content of E-10 to E-85 and is your best defence.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I use both a stabilzer and the ethanol treatment in my 2007 4 stroke. I use both products year round. As a matter of fact, when I fill my 1000L fuel tank on the property, I add the ethanol treatment and stabilizer directly to the fuel when I have it delivered. Premium fuel isn't all cracked up to be the best. This is according to my fuel supplier.
Great posts Fred.

banner ad
banner ad