Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:23 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: GoPro upload
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hello...i tried to upload some videos from my GoPro and it took 10 hours to load 3 videos that are only 5-7 minutes long...is this normal? They are in HD but really!!! Any thoughts or suggestions on what I could be doing wrong. It is a new Lenovo computer

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

Post subject: Re: GoPro upload
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 pm 
Walleye Master

Hi Jim. Not quite sure what you mean here bud. Are you talking about taking the video from your GoPro to the computer or uploading from the computer to a video site. If you are just taking it from the camera to the computer it should only take a few seconds to a few min. Upload time depends on many things such as your Internet speed being the biggest issue. Next what software are you using to do the upload and were are you uploading it to such as YouTube etc. Uploading can take forever and is a real pain but you can cut down the the frame rate to make it upload faster. Tell me how you are trying to do it and maybe we can help.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 am 
Jumbo Perch

What class is your SD card? (Class 10 SDHC 32G is probably your best option, they are around $25 now a days.)
Are you using a card reader? Make sure there are no programs running in the background. Upload to a computer takes up a lot of RAM.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:01 am 
Walleye Catcher

I am using a class 6 or 7 card and am removing the card from the PRO and using a reader. I am trying to upload to YouTube. They are high definition so that could be why it is so long.

YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

Jim, for sure upgrade to a class 10 card to ensure that your videos arent "choppy" when recorded.
As for the upload times.... they can get lengthy, but that seems a little too high.
How big are the files you're trying to upload?
Try uploading them one at a time and see if that helps.
I assume you have high speed internet? (connection speed is the main variable for upload times)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:56 am 
Walleye Master

Hi Jim. Like young-one and Stoty said you should get yourself a class 10 card and a high end one like Kingston Tec or Sandisk. GoPro recommend 16 to 32 gig class 10 for the Hero2 and with out it you can get choppy video and slow picture burst or even camera freez. I never upload straight from the SD card as it is slow as a Polk. What I do is I connect my gopro to the computer with the usb cable and import the files to my computer in a video folder or picture folder. Next i open my editing software like Windows Live Movie Maker " Free and Good " or Adobe Premiere Elements 10 " Expensive " next i edit the video to how i want it and then i upload it from there to YouTube etc you can also use GoPro Cineform Studio to edit your video and it is free to download off there Website and you also use it to update the Firmware on your Camera. It will upload faster off your hard drive in the computer that it will from the SD card. I upload a 10 min video in about an hour doing it this way so give it a try and lets see them fishing videos lol. Hope this helps you.....

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:42 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Guys...thanks for the good info. As it turns out I do have class 10 card. Also I am going to do as suggested and load the movies to my computer and then upload. I did get them on YouTube but could not find them, the trick is I did not put enough "tags" on them and I have fixed that up and they can be seen on YouTube under Jim Lyon Walleye...they are pretty primitive but what the heck! Thanks for all the great tips.

YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:09 pm 
Walleye Master

Cool videos jim. I love that 15lbr.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

as fred fisher was kind of touching on.

youll need to put your videos through an editor, so that they can be rendered for use on a site like youtube.
your clips straight from the card, or from the card to comp directly uploaded will too work on youtube, but as you are noticing your having a long upload time..

even if your fine with that one clip you have, youll notice after putting them through an editor and uploading that saved editd clip, your upload times will speed up...

Yes the quality of cards help.
but remember your gopro captures in 1080, while your editor will still produce that same quality, the file is compressed after rendering and helps for a faster up load time.

Hope that helps too..

~Jeremy.

banner ad