Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 am 
Walleye Master

Anyone use fluorocarbon as a mainline through the ice?? For outside fishing, braid freezes up, and with mono, or braid, most people tie on a fluoro leader. Fluorcarbon absorbs the least amount of water, (from what I've read) which would prevent line freeze, and using it as a mainline would save the time of tying on leaders. I know they sell "ice braid" but really don't think it prevents freeze up like they say it does.

Any thoughts??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9 yes you could use FC for ice fishing but there is a few things you may want to take into consideration when using it for ice fishing. FC will get britille because of the properties the line has in extreme cold weather, it will work fine in a hunt or portable. On spinning gear you may have more line twist then normal, but always stretch about 20 to 30 feet of it and you will be fine. When buying FC too always buy good quality or honestly you will hate it, The best that I have found is Sunline,Toray and Gamma sunline and Toray are Japenese brands but you get what you pay for and both are very good lines. In sunline, sniper I like for spinning reels and Toray Solaroam Upgrade Fluorocarbon works good on spinning as well. Try it and give it your thoughts first always helps if you give it a shot first. I hope this helps

Ryan

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 pm 
Walleye Master

I was reading an article by Seaguar and they said FC is perfect for cold water because it absorbs very little water, and remains soft. I will agree about line twist on spinning gear, because I have tried it bass fishing, and didn't like it. I have levelwind reels for ice fishing, so this may help.
I think I'm going to give FC a try this winter. I'll keep a spool of mono with me just in case..LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

I use an ice fluoro on a couple of my ice fishing set ups and its pretty good but I prefer braid. It is a little better in the extreme cold as it doesnt freeze up as much as braid but I dont see any real advantage to using fluro as a mainline, I always use a swivel to prevent line twist so I just prefer braid mainline and fluoro leader.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:36 pm 
Walleye Master

I usually fish in 20 fow or less, so I figure if your going to use a FC leader, why not just use it as a mainline and save some time. If you're in 10 fow or less, almost all of the line in the water is leader anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9 I forgot about seaguar lol iys good line too, yes its true what they say about there line. Im pretty sure toray makes there line them.

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9 wrote:
I usually fish in 20 fow or less, so I figure if your going to use a FC leader, why not just use it as a mainline and save some time. If you're in 10 fow or less, almost all of the line in the water is leader anyway.

Ya if you are using a levelwind you should be fine without a swivel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:06 pm 
Walleye Master

Somerdink wrote:
Walleye 9 I forgot about seaguar lol iys good line too, yes its true what they say about there line. Im pretty sure toray makes there line them.

I'm not sure in the article if they were talking specifically about their own brand of line, or just fluoro in general. They were just answering peoples questions about line. I'm a newbie when it comes to FC, so not sure which name brands are better. I usually only use it as a leader.

jjz....I usually use a snap swivel anyways for line twist caused by the lure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9 wrote:
Somerdink wrote:

I'm not sure in the article if they were talking specifically about their own brand of line, or just fluoro in general. They were just answering peoples questions about line. I'm a newbie when it comes to FC, so not sure which name brands are better. I usually only use it as a leader.

jjz....I usually use a snap swivel anyways for line twist caused by the lure.

Yup that should work, the only reason why I use an inline swivel is because the two combos I use mainline fluro are med lite/ lite action set ups so I will usually use about 6lb fluro mainline then go lighter for my leader usually 3lb. I probably could just run straight 3lb but having a little heavier mainline gives be more options i.e I can also use that combo for backlake walleye by upgrading the leader.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:30 pm 
Perch

Was noticing today that the Suffix Ice Line is being sold in a combo pack of braid and floro. :)

Do like using 3-4 feet of floro tied to a wee ant swivel tied to the braid. For Quinte it's 10lb braid and 10lb floro. Often use Drennan floro... personal choice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 pm 
Baitfish

I have Fluorocarbon line exclusively on all my reels for ice fishing and have had no trouble at all. I do use straight line reels so that might be why. I use Stren Flouro or Maxima Flouro lines.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I use it on all my ice set ups as mainline except for specks and splake. For specks and splake I use braid because I'm fishing mostly set lines near timber and don't want them getting far. Oh and btw ice is in on the back lakes just 2 hours away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Never used it as a mainline, but the setup that has worked for me as well as many clients and friends is Fireline Crystal with small swivel to a 3-4ft FC leader. That's what I'll be going with again this year.

banner ad