banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Percy Boom / Percy Reach
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Anyone fish this body of water connected to the lower trent? How was the fishing? I am considering renting a cottage and would like a bit of "insider" info before making my decision.

Thanks in advance!

G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:30 am 
Walleye Master

It's a big body of water with about 13 km's of fishable water and lots of obvious structure to fish. Pike, LM & SM bass make up the majority and found everywhere in the typical places. Not bad for walleye and there are some big muskies lurking in those waters. Panfish to channel cats can be found everywhere.

The bigger bays at the top and middle sections are shallow with the boating channel running up through the middle and marked with bouys. The bays get very weedy but you can find deeper pockets and weedlines within them. There are rocky shorelines with deeper water around, more so on the north shore. The lower end from just above German's landing and below is more typical river fishing. The back channel runs behind the biggest of the islands and worth a tour. Keep in mind, depending on the height of your boat, you may not be able to get under the bridges through there. There's usually about 5' clearance.

You can easily spend a weekend just scouting around. Focusing on key structures will boat you fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thank you so much! I have been wading the upper river for awhile now (Meyserburg sp?)... catching mostly SMB and pickeral(all released).... and figured all the fish must move down stream! I think I will book a weekend. thanks for the heads up!

G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 am 
Walleye

This whole area has many oppurtunities for all species and I've never been skunked there. The largest muskie I've seen boated (56") came out of the reach a few years ago in November and I've taken some good sized large and smallmouth from lots of different locations between the reach and German's Landing. If you don't know where that is its the mid point between the reach and the locks at Glen Ross.

Only negative is it can be pretty heavily traveled part of the Trent and the area around German's Landing on down to Glen Ross has a lot of cottages and a couple of campgrounds so there's lots of jetskis and wake boarders on the weekend.

If your into relaxing and cruising the back channel is always an interesting run.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:06 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks guys I appreciate it, turns out they are full up the weekend I was interested in, but I have decided to rent a boat for the day, this Saturday (Had to sell mine as part of my divorce) Anyways... I will be giving it a go as it is only 30 minutes from Brighton.

On a side note, I caught two pickeral wading the river in Myersburg right at the antique barn. the other day.. one was pushing 5lbs.

thanks again for the advice.

G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:32 am 
Guppy

Gerritt wrote:
Thanks guys I appreciate it, turns out they are full up the weekend I was interested in, but I have decided to rent a boat for the day, this Saturday (Had to sell mine as part of my divorce) Anyways... I will be giving it a go as it is only 30 minutes from Brighton.

On a side note, I caught two pickeral wading the river in Myersburg right at the antique barn. the other day.. one was pushing 5lbs.

G

Is the barn the big red one right on the east side of hwy 30 ? The flea market / antiques place that is open on the weekends ? I drive past there everyday going and coming from work and always see people fishing in that area and always wondered what was in there . Allot of times it doesn't look like the water is that deep , I can tell there are a few deep holes and this is where I always see people .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:18 am 
Walleye Fingerling

BrutemanAl wrote:
Gerritt wrote:

G

Is the barn the big red one right on the east side of hwy 30 ? The flea market / antiques place that is open on the weekends ? I drive past there everyday going and coming from work and always see people fishing in that area and always wondered what was in there . Allot of times it doesn't look like the water is that deep , I can tell there are a few deep holes and this is where I always see people .

That's the one and is no secret by any stretch of the imagination before anyone complains. Across the road from the barn (on the same side as the barn) you can park there. There are two trails that will lead you to the river. I prefer the most direct one (Down the hill) there are some deep holes, maybe 5-6' at their deepest and depending on water levels (Keep an eye on the water levels, too high and you are asking for trouble.)

I have caught pickeral, SMB, Rockbass and Garpike in there. There are also carp, Pike and the odd Musky in there as well this river drains into Percy Reach.

We wade the river and when water levels are moderate you can fish the entire river. It is a great way to spend a few hours and we have never been skunked there. We choose to use Jigs and twister tails in various colours due to the current. It is simple and effective, Cast and retrieve. It can be "snaggy" at times so it is also not a big deal should you lose a couple of jigs.

If you would like anymore details feel free to PM me and depending on my work schedule we could meet up and I could show you around.

Gerrit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:50 am 
Goby

Gerritt wrote:

G

yeah that was a good advice, so have you sell your part??

banner ad