Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:21 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:12 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

With a visit from my eldest grandson, fishing was the order of business, Wedneday was a blow out so the fishing began on Thursday, We began fishing by the Old Church and the related shore. We hadn't trolled 15 minutes and the young guy shouts "Fish ON!!!!".

Sure enough, the rod was bent and began reeling his Great Grandfathers line counter, he was very anxious and as I dipped the net, he lifted the fish into the boat. A true solo effort. A fine 15.5 inch fish - suitable for the table.

He's a very happy lad. We landed one more but it was too small and it was released.

Thursday, we got a wakeup call at 0700 from him as he was ready to hit the water again, After breakfast, we headed out and back to the Old Church area, nothing was happening there after a couple of trolling passes. We motored over to Kingscourt and began trolling off the several weedy shoals.

Grandy had a hit and pulled in a 14 incher, released..... The young guy said he was going to rest for a bit and started to reel in, after about 5 feet, the rod bent and he had a fish.... Gently this time, he reeled and Grandad slipped the net under a real nice 2.2 lber.

Happy! Happy! Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shortly there after Grandy had another hit and landed a really 2.75 lber. Trolling the area, she hit another about 2.0 lbs, she was the hot hand.

Fished for about 3 hours and called it a day.

After the Thursday fishing, we visited the Tyendinaga Caverns and Caves up the Shannonville road(North of the 401) for a real excursion into a sinkhole and cavern - Really Cool.

Following lunch on Friday, we hit the Air Force Museum in Trenton, nothing like big planes and noisy landings for a youngster,

Headed out on Saturday AM with Great Grandfather, Grandad, Dad and les Boys. Tried in vain at Kingscourt and Great Granddad got a strike at Carp Cove, Albert brought in a 14.5 incher. Trolling over towards Shermans, William had a strike and landed a 14 incher. Thay was it for Saturday. (in a boat)

In the afternoon, the boys and their dad hit the dock for some pan fish fishing, lots of perch, rock bass, Gobies and William had an unusual fish hit his jig and worm combo. Lucky Dad had his cell and snapped a pix so we could figure out what it was.

We looked at the books and figured it was small musky caught off the dock at Bayview Resort - that's the first one I've ever seen, heard about muskies being caught up in the flats and in the Reach but NEVER seen anything like this. Very Cool for a 6 yr old.

Everyone had a good time, albeit too short.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

excellent report [as always ]
the pictures tell it all they are happy faces for sure :lol: :lol:
thank you for shareing

the ole bluedog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:10 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice report Superdad. I hate to disappoint William but that's a log perch not a Musky. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

X2 on the log perch. Got to do some seining on the St. Lawrence last year looking for young of the year muskies with the Gan Chapter of Muskies Canada and we saw a lot of log perch. Even at 2-4" long with a Muskie you can see the distinctive Muskie/Pike esox head and a tiny mouth full of sharp teeth.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 pm 
Walleye

Awesome report Superdad! The smiles say it all! Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 pm 
Guppy

Hey Dave, that little musky is super cool! I just love seeing the young ones getting hooked on fishing.
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:32 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Thanks guys for your input, I have never heard of a Log Perch, but the google search sure shows the similarities.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:55 am 
Walleye Angler

Great report of an excellent adventure Dave. Nothing like sharing those with the youngsters. Good on you for finding the fish too. Well done.

I can almost taste those crispy fried filets now.

Maple

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:39 pm 
Minnow

What a pity, my buddy QP has lost all the interest in fishing? good report...

banner ad