Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 5:01 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walleye From shore?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:12 am 
Walleye Angler

Shore walleye have eluded me for the past month in the 6 or 7 times I have been out. I am in Kingston east and have been trying along Bath rd from the floating bridge to the power plant. Saw lots of trout and salmon swim by a few weeks ago but no eyes. I keep seeing small school's of fish (8 to 25 at a time) all roughly the same size about 18" to 24" in length. They swim by regularly for the first few hours after sundown at the Amherst island ferry dock (especially right after the ferry heads out) but can't tell what they are. Look like trout but the rough water keeps me from getting a clear view, they dart inwards then directly back out again. Anyone have any idea what they are? Hopefully I get out on the Bay sometime before the ice comes as I just refinished a small 12' aluminum (Pictures) that was my Dads that was in extremly rough shape as it sat in the woods behind my house exposed for 12 years since he past away. I use to fish in the bay quite often with him in the summer but have not been back since. I have actually not been fishing alot in the last 12 years other than going for the summer Bass at the cottage.

I have recently refound my interest in fishing and am trying to get out when ever I can and would love to catch some walleye. I also have a 7 year old of my own that I would love to take with me sometimes to try to get him interested in fishing. I think having him catch something other than perch and sunfish would peak his interest as I still remember landing a Pike when I was his age that was almost as big as I was that originally did it for me. For now I would rather just get out myself and find where the fish are before taking him out as I enjoy myself even when getting skunked.

Can anyone give me some info on public shore spots for Walleye from Ivy lea to Deseronto that I can fish from where I am not going to be harrased by security gaurds? It is easier for me to get out at night so slightly lit up spots are great but can also get out in the day during the week sometimes. I dont need to know where your "Secret spot" is, just the well known ones would be fine as long as there are fish there. By all means though... If you do have a secret spot feel free to PM it to me and I promise I will keep your secret.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Walleye From shore?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm 
Walleye

ive heard meyers pier in belleville along the rocks and towards the mouth of the river to be good but i dont personally fish for walleye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:35 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

The boat looks fine, it should permit you to fish any place, Just watch the weather......

You mentioned the Amherst Ferry dock as a spot, fish do go up the Millhaven River and you've seen them there.

People have fished near the floating bridge(they used to stock Parrotts Bay with Browns - I saw a pair many years ago there) and some people cast off the Adolphus side of the ferry dock. People used to fish off the MNR docks on the Glenora side, (you need a LONG handled net - I think it might be trespassing there)

Hope that helps

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:55 am 
Walleye Angler

I just wanted to say nice job on the boat. Never shore fished for walleye, actually only started to fish walleye last year and learned a lot going out to fish with Tylercurt. Keep an eye on posting for open seats, best way to learn is an outing with a seasoned vet of the sport. Another option is to take your son on a charter. Several board members run top notch outfits, you see the gear and bait that u will need, used the right way, u could cut years off the learning curve in one outing.
C u on the water, Rob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thank you for the info and the compliments on the boat it was a lot of hard work, the thing leaked like a sieve from it filling with water and leaves and freezing. It is now leak free. I have met Tylercurt at the A.I. Ferry dock a couple of times seems like a nice guy.
I may keep the boat out of the water for the rest of this year with the cold temps and sudden fall winds it may be safer to keep this small boat out and just wait for the Ice to get into the bay. I will try my luck at the Glenora ferry dock for Walleye for now and at the Power plant for some Browns and also Lakers when season opens in a week. I drove out to the Glenora ferry last week and took a look but did not go back there in the evening because the "no parking after 9:00PM" signs. I suppose I can just park up on the road if anyone says anything. We use to do a lot of drifting in the bay from the bridge to Foresters Island and don’t recall ever being skunked once there. We would try jigs and cranks a lot and if they were not getting any hits we would move to a silver/red spinner with rubber bait attached and it never failed.
I was At the A.I. Ferry the other night and did not get anything but stopped at the floating bridge when I was heading home a caught a nice pike on my third cast into the current coming under the bridge. I thought I was going to have to keep him as I did not take anything down with me other than a rod with a jig on it. I had to leave him on the rocks for a few minutes while I ran to my car to get my pliers as I value my fingers...lol. I was happy to see him quickly swim off after flushing some water through his gills for a couple minutes. I did not take anything down as I was not expecting to catch anything after being skunked 6 or 7 times at the dock (won’t make this mistake again).
At the A.I ferry dock I definitely say some browns and a couple big Lakers swimming by but not over the last couple weeks. Just the schools of 18" to 24" unidentified fish (could these be whitefish? They are very slender). I saw too many Salmon to count; I would rather let them save their energy for their spawn so I never targeted them. I went back behind the legion there to watch them for a bit and also took my son to the Nappanee River to see them jumping a couple of times. I don’t quite get why the MNR does not designate these two spots as sanctuaries during the spawn, especially the Nappanee River so many people walking up and down disturbing and crushing the eggs. I watched one guy in wader’s fight one for almost an hour walking all over the beds. He actually had it hooked on the fin (don’t think he knew this though) and it eventually ripped itself free.

Thank you again for the responses and will eventually meet you out there somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:25 am 
Walleye Master

Night time is one of the best times to catch walleye from shore ....... long stick baits like a husky jerk seem to work the best . long cast to cover water ...... very slow retrieve if you think you are too slow slow down more give a rip now and then let it sit then slow retrieve...... lighted areas are the best the lights bring the bait and the walleye will come in after the baits .. on calm nights watch the surface for boils thats the eyes chasing bait. cast right into it if you can and twitch the bait and hang on........ the later it gets the closer to picton you want to get places like Mcfarlins always produce fish at night. right in picton harbor will produce fish. i have always found the best fishing in december just before the freeze up..... good luck and happy fishing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:51 pm 
Walleye Master

I fish buddy lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:36 pm 
Walleye

Anyone still shore fishing ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

All the time. Haven't seen any ice around here

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Going out tomorrow afternoon/night as long as the snow is not coming down in too hard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:46 pm 
Walleye

Very detailed report Comit, thanks for sharing, my guess those 18-24" fish are whitefish, you got me drooling.
People are friendly on Bayshore road, perhaps ask for permission to fish for night walleye off a private lot during
the day . :)

Last edited by EagleEyesFlash on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:43 pm 
Walleye Fry

What going on in Trenton park side fresh co? just dreaming no time to fish this year yet. still fishable from shore??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I heard there was ice chunks floating down through, making it tough from shore there. Might be fishable in the next day or2. The dam would b fishable, if you can keep the whities off your line!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:27 am 
Walleye Fry

Boat looks great nice restore.

banner ad