Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice fishing line
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 am 
Guppy

I know I'm about 4 weeks early (OK 8 weeks early) - Just wondering on the general consensus out there.
I ice fish in about 20ft deep water. In the past I always used a braid with about a 5ft leader. I'm thinking this year to eliminate the additional knot and just go with a fluorocarbon ice line. Would loosing the 15ft of no stretch really decrease the bite "feel" and looking for thoughts of the newer lines and line options. (some fishing is done exposed to weather - not always in the shelter - where the braid seems to freeze)

Thanks - John

Post subject: Re: Ice fishing line
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:11 pm 
Walleye Master

John, try an ice braid. I use braid with a size 14 barrel swivel to 30 inches of 12lb foro. I wouldn't worry about knots. if you grab the floro end and the braid end and pull and it doesn't break, you have nothing to worry about with walleye. If you find a walleye that breaks it, call me im going fishing with you :) hope this helps

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:13 pm 
Walleye

Stronger flouro is very crunchy. I usually run 10-20lb braind and a flouro lead. Those mini raven swivels are good or tiny sampos to eliminate stupid line twist. The best thing to do is spool up and then go for a troll with your ice rod. Let out all the line with no lure and let the prop wash do its work.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Power Pro Ice Braid is great, I have used it for a few seasons now and really like it. As far a leader, I always use Gamma Flouro. 20 pound braid and 10 pound Gamma...

Colin Friel

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey power pro Ice braid 12-14 lb is perfect and I never use mono lead and
I never have a problem icing fish...hope this helps

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:44 pm 
Walleye

Berkley Fireline Micro Ice is definitely my preference I have tried powerpro ice braid, straight mono, straight floro and i much prefer the micro ice pair it with a 8-10" floro leader and your set

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm 
Walleye Master

Is braided line really necessary for ice fishing?? Do the fish bite that light where braid would be required for it's sensitivity?? I've used Ice braids in the past, and they're nothing but a pain in the butt, unless you're fishing inside. I'd say go with mono with a flouro leader, and help avoid the freeze up on your line.
I also used to troll with braid, but figured it's not really necessary.
I only use braid for bass fishing, and rip jiggin walleye.

My 2 cents

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:23 pm 
Walleye

the memory that mono and floro have can be very annoying especially if you are not using heavy tackle that was one of the things I noticed most after switching

It should also have a better strength to line diameter ratio

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the discussion - it's interesting to see what others are using. This year I think I'll keep braid and flouro for in the hut and mono and flouro outside and see what happens - although I may try just straight braid a few times.
John

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am 
Walleye

When it comes to walleye you want very little stretch those mouths are hard and bony. The only time i use braid is for walleye or deep water jiggin

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

floro sucks other then leader material as far as iam concerned and braid with floro leader is how i rig but iam always in a hut, but i would use a ice braid if outside all day with a coulpe feet of floro leader.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:35 pm 
Walleye Catcher

while braid freezing up is a pain, I still use it. I fish outside 99% of the time and I find the low stretch and no memory worth the ice-up issues. It's pretty tough fishing lighter baits with straight mono/flouro...if the bait doesn't weigh enough to uncoil the memory-loops you will never feel the bite. I've used many kinds of ice braid and found they aren't that much different than regular braid...they all soak up water after a few times out but unless you are fishing 5-100 fow variable depths within few minutes it's usually just some ice at the water level, clean it off every so often, problem solved. I always use 10-20lb flouro leader...low visibility and will stand up to teeth way better than braid.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:40 am 
Walleye Master

What do you guys consider a light lure? A W7 jigging rap weighs just under 3/4 ounce and a W9 weighs almost 1 ounce. Mr champ 1/2 ounce, Macho Minnow/Buckshot 3/8-1/2 ounce. I would think these lures would be heavy enough to take the coil out of the mono. Unless you're fishing in deep water, or using lures 1/16 -1/8 ounce for panfish, I still don't see the benefit of using braid.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:04 pm 
Guppy

I use the Tuff-Line Duracast. I was told that the ice line and the normal line are the same stuff in a different box and spool size. I do like it a lot too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:16 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Walleye 9 wrote:
What do you guys consider a light lure? A W7 jigging rap weighs just under 3/4 ounce and a W9 weighs almost 1 ounce. Mr champ 1/2 ounce, Macho Minnow/Buckshot 3/8-1/2 ounce. I would think these lures would be heavy enough to take the coil out of the mono. Unless you're fishing in deep water, or using lures 1/16 -1/8 ounce for panfish, I still don't see the benefit of using braid.

I fish all kinds of lure weights in all kinds of depths. Jigs rated 1/32oz-1oz, but the problem with 'uncoiling' the mono/flouro memory loops seems to be more of an issue with the lures I call 'flutter spoons'. Dont know what they weigh, but they don't put much tension on the line and won't uncoil a memory loop in my 4-6lb mono

banner ad
banner ad