Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:23 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:07 pm 
Walleye

So, in my quest for more holes with less effort and not wanting to carry a lot of weight I have decided to pick up one of this ice auger drill attachment thingies from Canadian Tire. 9.99.. I have an older Eskimo gas auger but its heavy and bulky and I really only drill 2 holes each time I am out.

Anyone have experience with these? I have an 8" swede bore and a Mastercraft 18V hammer drill/drill with 2 decent batteries. Just wondering how many holes I can expect to drill with this on the batteries?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:30 pm 
Perch

I have the swede-bore 8" auger with drill attachment. I used it all last year and it rocks...one of the best purchases I ever made. Hooked up to my Milwaukee 18v I got 19 holes in 10" of ice. I sold my power auger and NEVER regretted it. You will love it if you have a half decent drill with lots of torque to spin it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:04 pm 
Walleye

I just went out and tried it out on the fish pond. Using my brother in laws 18v Milwaukee hammer drill. Just using the drill setting. The drill stopped a few times partway through. Thinking overheating. I'll try my mastercraft one when I get home. Seemed good though. 2 holes through 12" ice pretty easily. Liking this so far

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:27 pm 
Perch

Sometimes mine stops also....from excessive torque protection..not overheat just keep going...no problem....don't ever use hammer setting you will ruin your auger

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:20 am 
Walleye

Actually the auger I tried was rusted to crap and was my one I use to did fence holes. Didn't wanna wreck my good ones till I knew it worked. And it drilled no problem with dull rusted rock chipped blades. I like this tool

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:43 am 
Walleye

yup, use it, but the Mastercraft may not be the best choice, I use a 5.5" swede bore and can get about 14-18 holes on 7" of ice per battery. Havent tried the 8" auger and over 7" of ice I have the quad and my power auger. I have tried it on 20" of ice and got 3 holes and the battery was dead..

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:17 pm 
Walleye Master

I just bought the same tool at Crappy Tire. $9.99. I haven't used it yet, so no reviews. Be careful if you put your drill in reverse. It may come loose and fall off, and your auger is going for a swim!!! I saw some other versions of the tool from different companies, and they have wings or some other device that will prevent it from going through the hole if it falls off. I think the picture above shows this.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:10 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Here's a great showing of how the attachment does...although not the intention, it's within the video John Whyte put together for the Lake Simcoe board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk86oBXu ... e=youtu.be

banner ad
banner ad