Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spook'n'fish
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:49 pm 
Walleye

Question-I have a MarCum 385C underwater camera, I have it in color mode til dusk and then change to black & white to see better. Has anybody turned on the light on the camera and feel that it is spooking the fish? Had it on #1 setting for light (4 settings) and fish took off and never came back, has anyone else experienced this or know if it does spook the fish? :(

Post subject: Re: Spook'n'fish
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:00 pm 
Walleye

I use to think the lights did. I have the fish tv with the infra red lights. Last week I had the light on around 5pm, I watched 2 glowing eyes coming toward the lure I had the camera aimed at. It was a really nice wallyeye. It took a few looks, sniffs and a nibble. I thought it swam off but all it did was come around to my other lure and hammered it. I was amazed, its the first time I caught a walleye with it on. Normally I would leave the light off, turn it on once in awhile to check my minnow than shut it off. I know the Perch don't seem to mind it, they actually put on a good show! Lol.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 am 
Walleye

Great info... I have just graduated to using a flasher, what a game changer..... The underwater camera will be my next stage of evolution!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:34 pm 
Walleye

I am now convinced the light does NOT spook'm! Went 3 for 4 tonight, biggest was 6lbs. Lost a monster at the hole. She wrapped around the camera cable while I was fighting her. I'm done trying to reel them in, from now on I'm dropping the rod and pulling!! Might just go back to my old stick.
As the guy's with flashers say "I love MY electronics" lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 pm 
Perch

Sorry about you losing a fish. I have a suggestion I now use for that reason, I tied a 8 inch piece of string to the transducer attached 3 large bobbers and set it in when a fish is on hook them good and lift out the bobbers with transducer cord and you are home free for the fight.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 pm 
Walleye

wounded wrote:
I am now convinced the light does NOT spook'm! Went 3 for 4 tonight, biggest was 6lbs. Lost a monster at the hole. She wrapped around the camera cable while I was fighting her. I'm done trying to reel them in, from now on I'm dropping the rod and pulling!! Might just go back to my old stick.

Is your lights red or white,I heard that red doesn't bother the wally ????

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 pm 
Walleye

tdoug wrote:
wounded wrote:

Is your lights red or white,I heard that red doesn't bother the wally ????

My lights are red. They don't light up the bottom very good, still pretty dark down there. My unit is black and white view too. No colour.

Ricelaker,
Thanks for the tip! Going to try that! I always ice fished with a stick. I got 2 poles for xmas so its a whole new game now.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:06 pm 
Guppy

Been using cameras for years all over Ont during ice fish season and it doesn't seem to effect fish from what I can see. Have seen a school of crappie once come visit me one night at Lake Scugog in six feet of water. I saw the circle of the uv light as it shined on the side of one fish, it was more interested in my bait. My camara was about three feet away in a second hole. The camara picked up the uv light on the side of the fish in the monitor, don't know if fish can see in the uv range.

banner ad
banner ad