Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:29 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Buddy heater problems
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:15 pm 
Walleye

Trying to figure out some tips or see if other people are having problems
Use buddy heater brand new 1 lb tanks runs for a few mins then bottle ices up and shuts unit off I was going to wrap the tank with some foam or a sock !
Tried new bottle and same thing happens !
Now the funny part is I have my own hvac company but this just has me stumped lol do they freeze up on 20 lbs tank or 5 lb tank ? Any advice and tips would be great

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm 
Walleye

i keep my bottles stored in the garage no heated this keeps them the same temp as the outside air rather than bringing a warm bottle into cold air causes condensation i never seem to have this problem my bottles do frees up as there used but they run to empty

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 pm 
Goby

Had the same problem with my big buddy heater. I installed 2 new cans, ran for 2 hrs then the heater started shutting off after 15min. I hooked up a 20lb tank with an adapter hose and it ran fine the rest of the day.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:34 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I had the issue right off he bat with a frozen bottle. I tucked it in my survival suit & warmed it up. I think if you put an insulator of some sort under the unit to separate it from the ice you'd be fine. Maybe a piece of plywood the same dimension as the heater?

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:11 pm 
Walleye Angler

My Big Buddy frosts them up but runs them empty as long as I keep a plastic cap on the tanks while they are off the heater, I think if a bit of moisture gets on the nozzle it freezes up your gas flow. Make sure you give them a good wipe before threading them on.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:11 am 
Jumbo Perch

Hutchy wrote:
My Big Buddy frosts them up but runs them empty as long as I keep a plastic cap on the tanks while they are off the heater, I think if a bit of moisture gets on the nozzle it freezes up your gas flow. Make sure you give them a good wipe before threading them on.

This maybe a shot in the dark....and by no means insulting....but make sure the tank is screwed on properly and not cross threaded, cause it may look fully seated but if not, just the smallest gap will cause the the propane too leak out freezing the valve then you'll have no flow..

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:18 am 
Guppy

I have had the Mr. Heater-Portable Buddy Heater for a few years now. I found the one pound tanks pretty pricey so I purchased a 7 LB tank from Canadian tire and an adapter and 5 foot hose. I have yet to have it frost to point of shutting the unit off. I can't say I had the problem you are having with the one pound tanks but perhaps it has to do with the size of Mr. heater unit you have and the length of time you use up a tank as it has been very cold and perhaps this made the difference. I did find the bigger tank saved one heck of a lot of money over one pound tanks but then there is the weight issue if you are walking out. If it is new I would take it back I found their stuff to be very easy to use something sounds wrong.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 am 
Walleye Fry

Frosting on the small 1lbers indicates - usually - whats left in the tank. In very cold temperatures, the demand exceeds the vaporization capacity of the small tanks. Watch to make sure the flame is heating the thermo coupler. Warm air will draw cold air and could shut your unit down.
There are some solutions that may help. Increase the amount of Fresh air into the hut; Turn the Heat down; use a heat pack with an elastic band around that 1lber so you don't eliminate skin when removing; keep your 1lbers upright when transporting at all times; go to a 5lber with hose and filter.
bobby

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 am 
Walleye Angler

Dudedru Said::::: This maybe a shot in the dark....and by no means insulting....but make sure the tank is screwed on properly and not cross threaded, cause it may look fully seated but if not, just the smallest gap will cause the the propane too leak out freezing the valve then you'll have no flow..

That was the problem I had after two good years of service and only one camping trip with my Son using the unit! Cross thread. Looked seated correct but would shut off after just as it got warm. Look close at your unit connection for thread damage.
New unit now works fine.
Snarfy

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 pm 
Walleye Angler

They say when using the bigger tanks and hose adapter that it is a good idea to use a filter on these Buddy heaters. Where do you get these filters and how much are they? I don't mean ti hijack the thread but I think it all ties into this problem.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:27 pm 
Walleye

Princess auto in kingston has them. I think about $10

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 pm 
Walleye Master

If you get the actual Mr.Heater hose, you don't need a filter. I bought a different hose, so I need a filter. I also bought the filter at Princess Auto (Whitby)

banner ad