Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: curious??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 am 
Walleye

2 guy's fishing side by side, 1 guy has a flasher set up in his hole, the other guy doesn't. They are in a hut, fishing 3 ft from each other, will the flasher pick up the other lure too? If they drill a 3rd hole for the flasher will that work for both of them?
I'm not a "flasher guy", I'm a camera man. Have never fished with a flasher but would like to fish with someone that does just to see and maybe convince myself to part with the camera and maybe start "flashing" the walleye!!

Post subject: Re: curious??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:38 am 
Goby

Yes it would pick it up from 3' away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:16 pm 
Walleye Master

I was laker fishing yesterday in 95 fow, my flasher was marking everything within a 32 ft diameter of my ducer, including my buddies deadstick 16 ft away. ( I was lol "workin" his lure for a good 10 mins) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heading out for afternoon bite shortly and closer to home. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:58 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Even a narrow beam in deeper water will pick up a neighbour's lure. The beam is cone shaped & gets wider the deeper you fish. Gord Pyzer has had some excellent articles about this & understanding what the marks on your flasher/finder really mean.

For example, we often see a mark rise off the bottom to a foot above & even with the lure. What actually could be happening is the fish was always swimming a foot above bottom but as it swims through the furthest part of the transducer cone the weak signal shows up as farther away then it actually is. As it swims to the centre of the cone the signal gets stronger & the distance of the return back to the transducer is less. Think about it like a right angle triangle from back in math class when you were a kid & it makes more sense.

Tight lines

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:59 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I figure it would depend on a few things...first what is the degree of the cone from the transducer; if its 8 or 9 degrees might not; 12 to 20 then probably would pick up both lures. Also if you're fishing in deep water the cone of the signal would be spread out more albeit it would probably get weaker too but still pick up both lures

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:26 am 
Walleye

With 2 guys in a hut best thing to do is drill three holes and put ducer in middle hole
One guy fish close to bottom other guy few feet above
Tricky part is to figure out what lure mr walleye is going for not a fan of fishing two guys per flasher but that's just me I have done it once a couple weeks ago and won't be anytime soon lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:29 am 
Walleye Master

defiantly works been there done it Like Walleye wonder said trick is figuring out exactly what lure the fish is looking at then using team work one stops and the other works the fish always best when one works the bottom and one works 3 feet off bottom so you can both track your jigs it can be deadly if you get into a good rhythm and work together

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:00 am 
Jumbo Perch

back in the day before I picked up a hut ... Captainminnow and I used to hunker down in his hut and fish side by side ... you could pick up both lures pretty well (dual beam on the Humminbirds) but of course that did lead to pretty serious competitions for fish that were being marked ... we laugh about it now but it could have got bloody during the heat of the fish marking 8O ... best advice for fishing friendships ... get a hut and get electronics ... 30' minimum separation and friendly wagers only

3 more sleeps till BOQ~~ please guys ... leave a few fish for us !

FFG

banner ad