Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:30 pm 
Guppy

Anyone ever verify depth charts based on what the app tell you and actual depth via fish finder?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've found them to be quite accurate for where I have compared the 2 methods on parts if Quinte and Rice Lake. Can't speak for the rest of the lakes out there. Oh yeah, Stoco I found it to be pretty comparable as well

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm 
Walleye

I have found that navionics is off about 2-3 feet for Quinte.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hose22 wrote:
I have found that navionics is off about 2-3 feet for Quinte.

True,But usually consistently off . What navionics can't adjust for is water depth changes that occur seasonally and also ice vs transducer below ice surface for winter readings.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

You can adjust this under Map Options, Water Level. Image

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:26 pm 
Guppy

thanks for the info from those that replied, anyone know how long you get out of a charge using it? I am using I-phone 5

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:04 pm 
Walleye

Looks like Jeff could use a charge lol anyways I have the iPhone 5 and didn't seenu to dean the batt to bad mind you I only glance when I'm walkin then turn it off glance again etc. I find it good to use for pre fish scouting like the night before you head out you can pick your spot. IMO it works awesome and is a must have.

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

deepjigger wrote:
thanks for the info from those that replied, anyone know how long you get out of a charge using it? I am using I-phone 5

Not sure exactly but the GPS eats up the battery quickly. On my android it only last a few hours. You can buy an external battery to charge it.

Many different models at staples these are highest capacity (over 10000mAh) . I have a 5200mAh made by verbatim from there and it gives my android's 1560mAh battery three + full charges.
http://www.staples.ca/en/Aluratek-10400 ... wn_749778'
http://www.staples.ca/en/IOGEAR-GearPow ... ze=certona

Here is one at Canadian tire:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/unive ... t_U_tL8W9I

Edit: Costco has one as well 8000mAh $39.00 saw them here in Kingston today. Best bang for your buck...

I have often seen them on sale at both Canadian tire and Staples so shop around.... You can find them everywhere Just do a search for portable battery charger and remember to look at the mAh, the higher the better. a Iphone/android battery is typically 1440mAh to 1560mAh so do the math and you can figure out how long it will last you.

Last edited by Comit on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:56 pm 
Walleye Angler

Yes , external battery is key . I buy them from overseas for $20. On ebay.
I always bring 2 of them fully charged with me for any outing . Never run out of battery power . They've lasted hundreds of charges and I've used them every day for over 2 yrs. never run out of juice using the heavy draining apps

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:09 pm 
Walleye Master

There are a few in app upgrades that are well worth it.

Go into "menu" then "upgrades and apps"

The Navionics + upgrade is amazing. Here is a screen grab with it on if Sherman's pt.

I also love the shallow water shading.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:34 pm 
Walleye

Hey Scott is the 14.99 subscription worth it in your opinion?

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Scott's comment about Navionics + being amazing, is definitely an indication that the app is well worth it.

I also use the new app. The greater contour detail is going to help you make better decisions on where to fish.

Better tools can help you catch more fish. The upgrade from the standard app is more than worth $14.99 a year.

Sine the app cost is for 1 year, I am not sure if the app stops working after 1 yr or just doesn't update to latest charts.

It is funny how the description on this App upgrade indicates it is not available in Canada. Well it is !

Beware that the App may not work on all versions of IPhones. I have an IPhone 5S and it works very well.

Good luck,
BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 pm 
Walleye

Has anyone used the upgrade on an iphone 4s?

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 pm 
Walleye Master

I will start by making it clear that I am a navionics prostaff. I know that will negate my opinion for many of you and fair enough. A lot of people who "prostaff" suddenly become patch pirates and sing the praises of everything that company makes. Personally, I look at it from a different perspective and am much more critical on the products I prostaff for. I believe negative feedback is more important then positive feedback as that is what drives improvements. Those that know me can vouch for that. Either way I wanted to make it clear I prostaff with Navionics up front.

In short, yes, I believe the $14.99 is worth it.

Jeff C, talked me into it and I was skeptical. I was concerned some of the additional detail was computer generated and I don't know that 1 ft contours really help. I would say for ice fishing it significantly helps. Jeff and I have spent some time comparing the data to my C6 chip and there are humps on the Navionics + that are not evident on the C6. The additional detail also really helps to drill holes right on the break line etc etc. They also significantly increase data in areas where the app used to be useless like hay bay. Hay Bay has no contours and just random depth markers without the Navionics + subscription. I am sure there are other areas like this and if you fish areas like that it is a life saver. So yes I feel the $14.99 is well worth it.

***BTW at the end of the subscription to keep all the data you have downloaded. So anything you have downloaded stays on your phone and you do not lose any of this data. Additional areas that you download will not have the sonar charts data but just the basic data that you have if you do not upgrade to the navionics +. Does that make sense?***

The Navionics + subscription also gives you access to the sonar charts data. For those that are not familiar to sonar charts if you own a humminbird or Raymarine unit you can record your sonar logs upload to Navnionics.com and within 24-72 hours you will have generated charts based on your data. You can map your own lakes, increase the accuracy and detail of anything you want. So record a shoal or break line as you troll upload the logs and have generated data at your finger tips. This is now available in Canada and very very cool.

You can also have this data on a Navionics plus or Navionics updates card for your chartplotter as well. You just have to turn on the "fish N chip" mode on your screen to see the sonar charts data. You can see the data on any unit capable of turning on fish n chip which is most lowrance units, simrad units, humminbird, and Raymarine. It significantly increases detail on your charts. I like that you can turn on detail while you fish and turn it off while you navigate because personally I don't like all the contour lines and great detail while navigating. It makes it hard to see shallow water and dangerous areas. That is why I love the shallow water shading so much. I had an incident that is kindly called "Scott's Shoal" in the community layers as a result of a chip with to much data and no shading.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Scott I purchased it.

banner ad
banner ad