banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:23 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:13 pm 
Guppy

I've fished off Wager's a few times with no luck. I was thinking about trying my luck tomorrow out from the boat launch at Sherman's Pt. but I've never been there. I've searched the discussion board to get info about ice safety and water currents and past postings suggests there is a current but I'm just not sure where it is and how close to the boat launch it might be. Since I'm walking, I'm not going out too far so I would appreciate any info on water currents, ice conditions and any areas that I should stay away from. Good day to all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:48 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I was there on monday. Walked out from Bayview to mouth of HayBay between Shermans and Thompsons. Fished 10fow to 30fow. Didn't catch anything but the ice was plenty thick. Didn't measure exactly but I'd say 12-16"...about the length of my ice scoop. You're good for walking, saw plenty of 4 wheelers out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

there is lots of ice around shermins and thompsons and right out to the cement plant has all good ice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:26 pm 
Guppy

Ice conditions sound good and safe, thanks for the info. Is this an area where ice conditions can change fairly quick if we get milder weather for a few days or is it nothing to worry about?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm 
Jumbo Perch

There should be lots of ice there based on a recent trip. If you are trying that area ... move frequently ... fish high in the water column (example ... at 15' over 26') and hang on when you start to see the fish come into your cone ... I know there are lots of big fish cruising for food all day long you just have to connect with them. Buckshots, Macho Minnows, Smoothies and even a jigging rap should do the trick. Think big aggressive fish and select the size of lure accordingly and tip them with live or artificial. Spoke with another forum member recently and had to agree with his logic and success .... consider a rattle crank bait and keep a spoon nearby to seal the deal if you need to!

Good luck to you!

FFG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm 
Goby

Sounds like good ice down that way, can anybody comment on ATV travel? We got hammered pretty good with snow in the Kawarthas today, not sure how quinte area made out?