Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:05 pm 
Perch

I bought the 8" online last week and arrived yesterday... Cost me a small fortune for the actual attachment, shipping, taxes brokerage etc... after all said and done it cost about the same as a gas auger which I already have (might be for sale depending on how this actually works). I was surprised it arrived so fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7feP8b4KuM

Looked great on YouTube so I couldn't resist. Tired of mixing gas, dragging the jiffy around and pulling cords to get it started not to mention I will be saving 20lbs+ in weight.

I plan on taking it to Simcoe this weekend to test it out before bring it out to the Quinte (45mins vs 2.5 hours).

Anyone tried one of these? I know there are attachments and other kinds of drill gizmos at a fraction of the cost but after watching the video I couldn't resist and had to click "buy Online button". Whats your experience line with cordless drill attachments and gizmos?

Thanks,
JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm 
Jumbo Perch

While having a couple ryes, I watched the video and ordered one too. Took a leap, we will see.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:35 am 
Walleye Angler

I have a 8" swede bore and the $10 attachment from Canadian tire. I shopped around for a drill and went with a Ridged as it had the highest torque (640lb) rating I could find and also came with 2 double sized lithium batteries. I was worried about eventually burning out the drill but found out Ridged extends the three year warranty on their equipment to a lifetime warranty when it is registered with them online (including batteries). The drill has a variable trigger speed so I run it slow but can pop a hole as quick if not quicker than any electric or gas auger with it. a couple weeks ago I drilled 20+ holes on one battery in 16" - 18" of ice and still had some charge left in it. I like the float idea on this unit as I am constantly checking to make sure the drill does not loosen up and plop down the hole. I may have to put a pool noodle on my shaft and test if it would float enough if it ever lets go. I warn that a couple times I almost broke my thumb as the drill twisted around in my hand when the auger got stuck but that was solved by attaching the hammer drill handle and using two hands. You are not suppose to use the hammer drill setting as it is suppose to ruin the blades. Slow and steady wins the race....

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:26 am 
Walleye Angler

looks cool but he lost me at adult supervision! :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:46 am 
Walleye Master

Comit.....what size is your drill (volts) I bought the same attachment, and tried it on my 18 volt cordless, and it didn't work to good. Obviously it's my drill that is the issue, but it says an 18 volt should do the trick. My drill is about 15 years old.....lol. Maybe time for a new one.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:09 am 
Perch

I have a swede bore 8" hand auger too. It was the older folding kind. I noticed the newer ones come in two pieces. With the folding the $10.00 attachment didn't work well as it wouldn't lock straight. I was going to cut the tube and make it work... However was on YouTube last week and wife wasn't watching so I clicked "Buy". :D

Will post how it works when come back from Simcoe on Saturday.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 am 
Walleye Fry

I spun up an attachment on the lathe at work and use an 18 volt Ridgid, I wouldn't use anything else. I couldn't be any happier with my set up. I tried it with an 18 volt Ryobi and it barely made it through. 1 hole, it's all in the drill !

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 am 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9 wrote:
Comit.....what size is your drill (volts) I bought the same attachment, and tried it on my 18 volt cordless, and it didn't work to good. Obviously it's my drill that is the issue, but it says an 18 volt should do the trick. My drill is about 15 years old.....lol. Maybe time for a new one.

The drill is 18v which is not the biggest factor, it is the torque that makes the biggest difference. I was looking at a bunch of 20V from Dewalt and milwaukee and they did not compare to the Ridged. They were all around 350LB - 450LB in my post I said the Ridged was 640LB but it is actually 615LB.

Another thing to do is keep the batteries in an insulated cooler bag with a couple hot shot hand warmers, although I do not think the lithium batteries are effected by the cold as much as Nimh batteries are.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/18v-ham ... ver/861855
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/norma ... vOnYmJdV8E
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/elect ... vOni2JdV8E

Last edited by Comit on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:28 am 
Walleye Angler

JiggingGuy wrote:
I have a swede bore 8" hand auger too. It was the older folding kind. I noticed the newer ones come in two pieces. With the folding the $10.00 attachment didn't work well as it wouldn't lock straight. I was going to cut the tube and make it work... However was on YouTube last week and wife wasn't watching so I clicked "Buy". :D

Will post how it works when come back from Simcoe on Saturday.

Funny, I do that too sometimes. You just have to be there when the UPS guy shows up, LOL. I have a PO Box for my Business I use when I do that.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:24 am 
Perch

I watched the guy drill that first hole without bracing it and thought he was going to screw up his wrist. When you get close to breaking through always be prepared for a whip. Not a big deal but can really mess up your day if you're not ready for it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:29 pm 
Walleye

I got myself a ION electric auger a few weeks ago as an early birthday gift after wife's approval (hard to hide a big green thing without her noticing LOL) and will post a review of this nifty item. The auger you are talking about sounds just as good but I would also be concerned about the whip and would prefer holding an auger by 2 side-by-side handles. Also, would a cordless drill survive snow, ice and water as well as being bounced around in sled and Ski-doo?

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:51 pm 
Guppy

I found it worth the $65 for the Clam adapter. Works great, no losing the auger in the hole, and you use 2 hands for control.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:24 pm 
Walleye Master

They survive snow, ice and water on a construction site, and get bounced around in the trucks, so I don't see why not. I use my drill to screw in my anchors, so I always have it with me anyways. Just keep it in your sled, instead of burying it in the slush, and there shouldn't be a problem.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:33 pm 
Perch

Game Changer for me. No more gas, oil or weight of dragging around a gas auger.

Shot this video while at Quinte a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j30Hfa0SGts

Any questions feel free. I've been using mine all year in the harshest conditions and still love it.

RJ

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:04 pm 
Goby

Instead of using a float or making a float i took a piece of ply wood and cut it in a circle about 2 inches bigger than my auger size. After that I drilled a hole in the middle big enough to fit the shaft of the auger but not bigger than the screwing nut that attaches the the two pieces of the auger together. It is just some insurance just encase it does come loose while drilling. I slice it on the bottom of my jet sled when I'm ready to go home, takes up no room or weight!

banner ad
banner ad