Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm 
Perch

RJ, I assuming you don't work for or are being sponsored by Vexilar...

If not I appreciate your real world experience with the K-Drill. I will test mine out on Saturday and hopefully a game changer for me too...

So many times I've sat a hole and marked nothing... brain tells me to go either deeper or shallower but as lazy as I am i stay at the same hole because i don't want to lug the auger around the ice...

Fishing and anticipation of catching is my passion. Catching fish is just a bonus. I guess that's why I make the 3 hour drive to Quinte and get skunked and keep going back. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 pm 
Perch

JiggingGuy,

I do represent Vexilar but am no shill. If it was crap I wouldn't say it was great and I'd be telling them it was. I was VERY skeptical before it arrived on how it would work after seeing all the drill contraptions in the past. Big difference on this bit is the chipper blades that just chew ice.

What drill do you have to go with it? The Milwaukee? The drill is the key to the whole deal. Proper torque and battery is key.

RJ

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 pm 
Perch

Looking at your video I'm confident this will work for me.
I'm pairing this up with a 18V Rigid XP4 or something like that. Brand new lithium drill I got for Xmas. I'm sure it will work.
Milwaukee, rigid all made by the same company in China. Specs are very similar.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:28 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Hey RJ
Since you are fishing BoQ do we assume the auger demonstration is with the 8 inch model?
I like the light weight feature.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:06 pm 
Walleye

Here is a good comparison video showing various electric augers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjbBibLAfQ

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 pm 
Perch

hottubjim wrote:
Hey RJ
Since you are fishing BoQ do we assume the auger demonstration is with the 8 inch model?
I like the light weight feature.

Yup that's the 8 inch.

RJ

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm with comitR, the ten dollar attachment from CT, or Wal-mart is the way to go!!! I use my 18volt dewalt xrp, with my 8" swede and it works awesome!!! New blades are a must!! But for 25 bucks why not?????? i can get threw just as fast, if not faster than any gas auger. There Especially good for guys on foot! Light and easy to travel with!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 pm 
Perch

pickerel killer wrote:
I'm with comitR, the ten dollar attachment from CT, or Wal-mart is the way to go!!! I use my 18volt dewalt xrp, with my 8" swede and it works awesome!!! New blades are a must!! But for 25 bucks why not?????? i can get threw just as fast, if not faster than any gas auger. There Especially good for guys on foot! Light and easy to travel with!!

How many holes a day are you drilling? Like I said I know those things work well when you don't have a ton of ice or don't ever drill more than a few holes.

Our lakes in Eastern Ontario up my way have in excess of 30 inches right now, curious how it would perform in that. This years Quinte ice is far from normal so yup, if you only fished Quinte on a normal ice year it'd be fine. But in saying that so would a spud.. :lol:

RJ

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:38 pm 
Perch

Went out to Lake Simcoe on Saturday, temperature was -17 degrees when arrived on ice at 6:30 AM, ice approximately 18".

As mentioned before I don't have the Milwaukee M18 but a Ridgid 18V X4 however my brother has the M18 with the red lithium batteries so I asked him to bring it just in case.

First impression the auger worked awesome, cuts through the ice like butter and no downward pressure required when drilling. However, the limitation was the battery/drill. First drill used was the Ridgid with 1.5Ah hyper lithium battery on a X4 drill, 2 fully charged batteries and I got 3.5 holes before both batteries were dead. No problem, got out my bothers Milwaukee M18 as suggested by Vexilar. It was a little better, 4 more holes drilled in the morning before both Milwaukee batteries died also.

Summary: 4 batteries (2 ridgid, 2 milawaukee Red Lithium) 7 holes. Auger worked as advertised, even fell in the hole once and saved by the foam. However, the weak link is drill/batteries. Maybe the -17 degrees is too cold for batteries but in Canada this is not uncommon for Jan and Feb.

I believe the ad mentioned that it should drill 18 - 20 holes on one battery... I find that hard to believe. I haven't given up on my investment, I will bring it to BOQ this upcoming weekend with 2 new 3.0 AH batteries and see how it goes. Temperature is suppose to be near 0 this weekend. Maybe the batteries will last longer and I can get more holes.

JG.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:09 pm 
Walleye Fry

have the rigid with upgraded battery no problem until they get cold keep them warm using 8 inch swede bore.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 am 
Perch

JiggingGuy wrote:
Went out to Lake Simcoe on Saturday, temperature was -17 degrees when arrived on ice at 6:30 AM, ice approximately 18".

As mentioned before I don't have the Milwaukee M18 but a Ridgid 18V X4 however my brother has the M18 with the red lithium batteries so I asked him to bring it just in case.

First impression the auger worked awesome, cuts through the ice like butter and no downward pressure required when drilling. However, the limitation was the battery/drill. First drill used was the Ridgid with 1.5Ah hyper lithium battery on a X4 drill, 2 fully charged batteries and I got 3.5 holes before both batteries were dead. No problem, got out my bothers Milwaukee M18 as suggested by Vexilar. It was a little better, 4 more holes drilled in the morning before both Milwaukee batteries died also.

Summary: 4 batteries (2 ridgid, 2 milawaukee Red Lithium) 7 holes. Auger worked as advertised, even fell in the hole once and saved by the foam. However, the weak link is drill/batteries. Maybe the -17 degrees is too cold for batteries but in Canada this is not uncommon for Jan and Feb.

I believe the ad mentioned that it should drill 18 - 20 holes on one battery... I find that hard to believe. I haven't given up on my investment, I will bring it to BOQ this upcoming weekend with 2 new 3.0 AH batteries and see how it goes. Temperature is suppose to be near 0 this weekend. Maybe the batteries will last longer and I can get more holes.

JG.

JiggingGuy,

It's not the drill it's the batteries. You need the 4.0amp XC batteries. I picked up my drill used and it came with the thinner regular M18 batts, no good. The batteries shut down due to being overworked. In the video you can see they have the thick battery I mentioned. Made the switch and never looked back. I sold the other batteries on Kijiji to recoup some of the cost of buying the higher end battery.

RJ

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I pounded 2 holes yesterday at Bain park. The was prolly 24-26 inches. It was one dewalt battery per hole. My 10 dollar part worked like a charm. I take 4 battery's out with me just in case, but in -20 temps I'm not moving anywhere after I drill my 2 holes

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 am 
Walleye Angler

RJackson wrote:
pickerel killer wrote:

How many holes a day are you drilling? Like I said I know those things work well when you don't have a ton of ice or don't ever drill more than a few holes.

Our lakes in Eastern Ontario up my way have in excess of 30 inches right now, curious how it would perform in that. This years Quinte ice is far from normal so yup, if you only fished Quinte on a normal ice year it'd be fine. But in saying that so would a spud.. :lol:

RJ

No problems with it here I did about 20 holes at Quinte a few weeks ago on one battery. I went to Verona (Rock) lake a week ago and did five holes for me and my buddy and a couple for two kids that showed up later in the day (all on one battery). There was 30" ice there, the tip of my drill was below the ice so an inch or two deeper I would have had to finish it off with the hand attachment.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:35 am 
Walleye Angler

Stroudster wrote:
I found it worth the $65 for the Clam adapter. Works great, no losing the auger in the hole, and you use 2 hands for control.

Just looked that up and think I will get that for next year. did you order it somewhere of does someone have them in stock?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:45 am 
Jumbo Perch

I use a ATV battery to power my fishfinder. What if I hook up an inverter ( 1000 watt ) to the battery and use my corded 6 amp power drill? I realize long term I should use a deep cycle battery.
Comments welcome.

banner ad
banner ad