Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

I don't really eat much fish anyways. Just like catching them and putting them back or sometimes I will give a couple fish to my fishing partner if they want some.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

Dog Lake wrote:
Comit wrote:
These days I don't go near that water. A friend of mine use to work at the city sewage plant and they would regularly open the flood gates of that place and dump it into the river when the pumps were overloaded during rain storms. A couple years back when the city built those storage tanks by the hospital pumping station to handle the overload it slowed down the flow but I have heard it still happens after they are full. Trust me I have been inside the pumping station where the river of sewage flows through an open pit and if you saw or smelled what goes through there you would stay away from that water. I prefer to stay off the Rideau all together, I know lots of people who fish dog lake (connected to the rideau) for Crappie but have been told by real estate agents and people that live there it is one of the most polluted areas around. One of my wife's clients live there and will not swim it the water... Personally the closest I would fish to the Rideau is the the water past the line between RMC point and downtown where it opens up to the big water. I regularly fish off shore up the St. Lawrence in the summer and also rent a small private cabin annually for a long weekend on the spectacle islands just out from Treasure Island.

Interesting theory on the pollution. I know when they have an overflow discharge in Kingston the folks on Howe and Wolfe Islands find lots of goodies, and the beaches get shut down at Grass Creek Park and in Gan. All that stuff flows downstream, right past the spectacles.

As for the dog lake crappies MNR consumption guidelines show 8 meals per month (highest rating they give) except for fish 12-14". Those, if you can find them, are 4 meals per month and probably should be released anyway as those are prime spawners. :idea: But please tell everybody you know that the water is poison and the fish are not safe to eat. :wink: Besides, it's a well known fact that there are no fish in dog lake. :lol:

The key is "it flows right past" those islands... The water is blue and clear and moving in the St Lawrence and the only thing we have eaten there are small perch. It is the standing shallow water at the sides that I prefer to stay away from as it is where the stuff settles in. That east bay at grass creek boat launch looks pretty nasty in the summer..... The MNR Guidelines give the St Lawrence 1000 island area a pretty high rating. As for Dog my guidelines shows only 8 meals on 6 - 8" as I have a 7 year old son and he eats what I eat, compared to some of the un-connected lakes that is a pretty poor rating but a very good one compared to the causeway belle island area. These days every bit of water has something in... The stuff we buy from the grocery store coming from who knows where is definatly much worse then what we can pull out of any water around here. Well I guess I should say any area water other than the Causeway/Belle Island area.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Comit wrote:
These days every bit of water has something in... The stuff we buy from the grocery store coming from who knows where is definatly much worse then what we can pull out of any water around here. Well I guess I should say any area water other than the Causeway/Belle Island area.

I couldn't agree with you more on that one. Nobody needs to be afraid of an occasional meal of small/medium sized fish from the waters around here (aside from those directly beside a dump), and it's probably far better off for you than a lot of the processed foods we eat. Consumption guidelines are also based on the assumption that you will eat that much fish every month, month after month. Not many folks eat angled fish twice a week all year round.

Crappie fishing can be a great way to introduce kids to ice fishing, with flurries of action at sundown and both fish and equipment the perfect size for youngsters. If you and your son want to join me sometime you are welcome. You can put all yours back to, just don't be surprised if I selectively harvest a few. :D

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thank you for the offer, I have taken my son up to the Bay a couple times in the last few weeks but unfortunately those were not good days. Me and a buddy were not catching any eyes so we moved just off shore at Sherman’s and filled half a bucket with some nice perch in a few hours. I thought it would be a great place and opportunity to take my son there to peak his interest a few days later but barely a bite that day in the same spot and he got bored pretty quick.
I was actually just given an "any time I want" access and parking on Howe’s lake (which does not have public access) the guy who lives there has a seasonal hut left out on the ice right over the hot crappie spot that I am welcome to use if I don’t want to lug my pop up out. He fills a bucket every time he goes out there. I am taking my son up there next week, hopefully it goes well. I am trying my best to get him to love fishing before he gets older. The more he wants to go the more I can get out without getting slack from the wife for being away and I love having him with me.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:02 am 
Walleye Angler

Im interested in fishing the woollen mill with the kids for crappies. Not interested in eating any. :roll:

Anyone have any tips to share. Im thinking either fish around shore structure and fish sunset into dark a couple hrs?

Baits? Im worms and maybe waxies?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:36 am 
Walleye Angler

I use to get huge ones right off the dock between the woolen mill and the rowing club in the evenings. That was a long time ago... There were people down there yesterday. A few people were fishing right beside the lift bridge also. Be careful close to the bridge that ice will be sketchy as the water flow congests under the two bridges. Any one ever get crappies up in the bay by treasure Island marina? There has been a hut set up close to shore there a couple times and they must be targeting pike but that weedy water may hold some crappie as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:42 am 
Guppy

Comit wrote:
Have seen people just off the causeway on the Rideau side regularly over the last few weeks, must be catching something as the keep going back. Also saw someone set up by treasure Island marina yesterday morning. I use to fish the Rideau around Kingston all the time when I was young catching huge pike and lots of eel (that are now endangered) off the Causeway and the old ships when they were around. I also use to catch hundreds of Crappie down by the docks at the woolenmill and rowing club, no idea if they are still around. These days I don't go near that water. A friend of mine use to work at the city sewage plant and they would regularly open the flood gates of that place and dump it into the river when the pumps were overloaded during rain storms. A couple years back when the city built those storage tanks by the hospital pumping station to handle the overload it slowed down the flow but I have heard it still happens after they are full. Trust me I have been inside the pumping station where the river of sewage flows through an open pit and if you saw or smelled what goes through there you would stay away from that water. I prefer to stay off the Rideau all together, I know lots of people who fish dog lake (connected to the rideau) for Crappie but have been told by real estate agents and people that live there it is one of the most polluted areas around. One of my wife's clients live there and will not swim it the water... Personally the closest I would fish to the Rideau is the the water past the line between RMC point and downtown where it opens up to the big water. I regularly fish off shore up the St. Lawrence in the summer and also rent a small private cabin annually for a long weekend on the spectacle islands just out from Treasure Island.

That's really great info you shared...

banner ad