Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:26 pm 
Walleye Angler

Anyone ever fish Ktown through the ice? I have a couple places in mind that are great spring locations for walleye. Normally I drive up to quinte from Kingston. However with this winter being so great for ice conditions. I often wonder about staying closer to home and fishing on the lake down here?

Would the fish be close to those spring spawning areas yet?

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't think they will be staging for spawn till later in the month. This winter will push things back I think.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:54 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for your response. Surprised know one else has a opinion
On to share? I'm gonna give it a try and see. :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:04 am 
Walleye Master

I should have asked if you mean lake o? Be careful of the ice conditions. I would think the best fishing would be in higher current areas like in front of downtown and pen shoal etc but that ice will be sketchy

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:17 am 
Walleye Angler

Yes lake Ontatio. With all this snow I'm limited to walking. So I'll be taking my time. I agree those higher currant areas would be ideal. However I don't have the guts to push my limits.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:22 am 
Walleye

I would love to try ice fishing out towards Penn Shoal in front of POH, no clue how much ice though , My dad got a 13lbr a long time ago ice fishing there and I have always done well there late Fall...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:27 am 
Walleye Angler

Yes. I have caught many nice walleye down around the causeway in my younger days during the spring/fall. Ice can't be any worse then quinte.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:11 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Ice conditions would be the kicker.....my buddy walked out to Pen shoal on a winter like this and when he spudded through he was on an inch and a half of ice, he left rather quickly. There must be currents or you would expect it to be thicker.. I was driving down King st by the water plant the other day and saw 2 people and a dog way way out there and I thought they were crazy.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

We'll a good friend of mine and myself decided to fish closer to home at one of our great late spring locations for some fish with teeth. I won't say where we hit the ice. But we took our time walking out and both shared a few laughs about how lucky our Atvs had it back home. We took a run and gun approach fishing a deep edge up onto a man made break wall. 27-14 FOW. I must say it was very strange fishing clear water for a change. Watching our lures hit the bottom in 25 FOW was very cool. The ice and snow both varried in our location. Some places the ice was 26" thick and others it was 8". Snow cover was the same. Some places it was hard going and only a few steps later you would be on bare ice.

We found out real fast that our great spring honey hole was not so great in the winter. :oops:

Today's tally. Big fat zero!

But we had fun and like they say. A bad day of fishing is better then a ...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the follow up. I have done the same thing over the years, at least now you wont be wondering about it. lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 am 
Walleye Catcher

Well you gave it a try...I have a couple of places out there that do not hold fish untill later in the year and weeds start to grow. Just curios how far out would you have been from shore

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Yes I couldn't locate much for weed growth :(

We travelled half km out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

Have seen people just off the causeway on the Rideau side regularly over the last few weeks, must be catching something as the keep going back. Also saw someone set up by treasure Island marina yesterday morning. I use to fish the Rideau around Kingston all the time when I was young catching huge pike and lots of eel (that are now endangered) off the Causeway and the old ships when they were around. I also use to catch hundreds of Crappie down by the docks at the woolenmill and rowing club, no idea if they are still around. These days I don't go near that water. A friend of mine use to work at the city sewage plant and they would regularly open the flood gates of that place and dump it into the river when the pumps were overloaded during rain storms. A couple years back when the city built those storage tanks by the hospital pumping station to handle the overload it slowed down the flow but I have heard it still happens after they are full. Trust me I have been inside the pumping station where the river of sewage flows through an open pit and if you saw or smelled what goes through there you would stay away from that water. I prefer to stay off the Rideau all together, I know lots of people who fish dog lake (connected to the rideau) for Crappie but have been told by real estate agents and people that live there it is one of the most polluted areas around. One of my wife's clients live there and will not swim it the water... Personally the closest I would fish to the Rideau is the the water past the line between RMC point and downtown where it opens up to the big water. I regularly fish off shore up the St. Lawrence in the summer and also rent a small private cabin annually for a long weekend on the spectacle islands just out from Treasure Island.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:05 pm 
Perch

There were people fishing of the end of the breakwater in elevator bay (by DuPont/invista) the other day there have been walleye caught there in the past should be lots of ice, getting out there could be a problem maybe from lake on park.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Comit wrote:
These days I don't go near that water. A friend of mine use to work at the city sewage plant and they would regularly open the flood gates of that place and dump it into the river when the pumps were overloaded during rain storms. A couple years back when the city built those storage tanks by the hospital pumping station to handle the overload it slowed down the flow but I have heard it still happens after they are full. Trust me I have been inside the pumping station where the river of sewage flows through an open pit and if you saw or smelled what goes through there you would stay away from that water. I prefer to stay off the Rideau all together, I know lots of people who fish dog lake (connected to the rideau) for Crappie but have been told by real estate agents and people that live there it is one of the most polluted areas around. One of my wife's clients live there and will not swim it the water... Personally the closest I would fish to the Rideau is the the water past the line between RMC point and downtown where it opens up to the big water. I regularly fish off shore up the St. Lawrence in the summer and also rent a small private cabin annually for a long weekend on the spectacle islands just out from Treasure Island.

Interesting theory on the pollution. I know when they have an overflow discharge in Kingston the folks on Howe and Wolfe Islands find lots of goodies, and the beaches get shut down at Grass Creek Park and in Gan. All that stuff flows downstream, right past the spectacles.

As for the dog lake crappies MNR consumption guidelines show 8 meals per month (highest rating they give) except for fish 12-14". Those, if you can find them, are 4 meals per month and probably should be released anyway as those are prime spawners. :idea: But please tell everybody you know that the water is poison and the fish are not safe to eat. :wink: Besides, it's a well known fact that there are no fish in dog lake. :lol:

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
banner ad