Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:24 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Inflatable Life Vests
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:09 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Looking for some input on these type of vests i'm planning to get one for the spring opening. Bass Pro has their own label at a reasonable price however not the most favourable reports on it. Mustang have a few options with the high end model at $249. They do have to be-recharged if used at additional price, anyone using these ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:24 am 
Walleye Master

I have one that is cabelas and i am happy with it

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 am 
Walleye Angler

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreati ... country=23

I have a green one of these that was given to me as a Christmas present years ago. Unfortunately it is too big for me, I think it may have been used before It was given to me but still in good condition. No rips or stains, just the lables are a bit wrinkled inside. May not actually have been used as i did not ask when it was given to me. I am open to offers or willing to trade with someone who has a smaller one. I have a large but would need a medium I think. Any one bought and then pack on the pounds? The model on mine says mfv-10 but it is the same as the miv-10. I have had it for along time and they must have changed the model number to market it to more than just fisherman. As the f stands for fishing and the i is for inflatable.

Last edited by Comit on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I got mine a couple years ago on sale at the Sportsman Show in TO for approx $100

I think it was Lakeland marine, they were at the boat show in January and they had them there on sale.

Not much help - sorry

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:07 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

do you wear yours all the time and did u ever have to recharge them

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:45 pm 
Guppy

They work great. Never had a problem. Mine uses a co2 cartridge that is easily replaced. And they last for years. Two types ones that go off when submerged in water. Other is a manual pull only. I have both one type. for boats, automatic. And the manual I use for the float plane. They make wearing a vest all day comfortable.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:34 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Well I have 4 on my boat and anyone that fishes with me wears one, I have had them for years (Mustang manual inflation) you just have to buy the co cartridges to "charge" tham. If you buy one you HAVE to wear it to be legal....and why would you not? You can't have them in a locker or sitting on the deck they must be worn

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

The thing to remember is a life vest is required for everyone in the boat, but a inflatable life vest is only counted if it is being worn.
Cheers Rob

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:49 pm 
Walleye

i have the bass pro auto inflatable, i have never fallen in with it on, i find it comfortable and made sure i know how to manually inflate it and only use it when i have someone else in the boat with me. i'd buy another one but my wife and step son aren't the best swimmers so i make sure they wear regular pfd's. the kayak style vests are a good way to go also but the inflatable ones are best when it's really hot.

what negative things are they saying about the bass pro model?

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:20 am 
Walleye Fingerling

It seems the cartridge installation is difficult and there are no ties for whistle etc.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Funny story about the wearability of thr inflatables, a couple of years ago I took a buddy out fishing out of Collins bay and he had to leave early so....I dropped him off at the dock and said see you later. He calls be that night asking how I made out AND that he still had my inflatable....seems he forgot he had it on and stopped at A&P and then Home Depot before someone asked him why the hell he had a life jacket on.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Jim Lyon wrote:
Funny story about the wearability of thr inflatables, a couple of years ago I took a buddy out fishing out of Collins bay and he had to leave early so....I dropped him off at the dock and said see you later. He calls be that night asking how I made out AND that he still had my inflatable....seems he forgot he had it on and stopped at A&P and then Home Depot before someone asked him why the hell he had a life jacket on.

:lol: Classic!

I Own a Onyx manual inflatable vest. Purchased it from Canadian tire for duck hunting mostly. However I find that I am starting to use it more fishing when on lake Ontario. Be aware that there are different types of these vests. The Manual models are just that. You need to pull the small handle to inflate the vest. These are the best option if your going to be in and out of the water and don't want the vest to inflate if it becomes wet. Ie. setting out decoys. The automatic types basically work when the vest is submerged in water. Once these vests are activated you need to purchase a kit to re-arm them. Another thing some people might not remember is to always wear it. If you do not have a standard life jacket on the boat for each person you need to keep the inflatable vest on. Its not counted as a life vest if its laying on the floor of the boat with your standard vests.

banner ad
banner ad