Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:35 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Garbage at Huffs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 am 
Jumbo Perch

Every time I go to Huffs, I am bringing home someone elses garbage. From both the shore and the ice. Last night it was nice little pile of beer cans (Budwieser and Pabst). At least they left it in a pile and I didn't have to walk around gathering them up.
Help clean up our act. Fisherman get enough bad raps, because of pigs like that.

Post subject: Re: Garbage at Huffs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:47 pm 
Walleye

Good on you Jim. You have guaranteed a place for yourself in Valhalla. I truly believe the 20% rule applies here. 20% of the participants are leaving 100% of the garbage. The others, like you are cleaning up after the 20%ers. I also try to take out more than I take in, if I find it. I know it is a good thing but on most occasions when I find myself picking up after some other slob, the disgust I feel over the state of humanity outweighs the satisfaction I should get from improving the environment. I have to admit that I draw the line at pissjugs. I'm not picking them up. And anyone who leaves one behind or throws them out of their vehicle after filling it should be forced to drink it. Or at least wear the contents.

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:42 pm 
Walleye Master

Laugh at Billy . you got it bro I bet they would stop then lol it really is a shame that guys can take things out heavy and leave them behind weighing much less really makes you wonder whats wrong with some guys when there is so much beauty they want to leave it a mess parking lots seem to be the worst. and we wonder why people don't open up there shorelines to fishermen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 pm 
Perch

These situation are getting to be a concern. It seems to be happening more and more. A buddy showed me a picture of a Lake Trout he got on Loborough lake, the fish had a big bulge in its belly. When my buddy cleaned the fish it ended up being a smelt inside a plastic bag. So not only are people leaving their garbage on the ice but they are also trying to hide it by sinking it. It's a shame really because had that fish not been caught it would eventually have died due to other complications. People need to grow up a bit and realize what we have is pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:42 pm 
Walleye

PB seeker wrote:
These situation are getting to be a concern. It seems to be happening more and more. A buddy showed me a picture of a Lake Trout he got on Loborough lake, the fish had a big bulge in its belly. When my buddy cleaned the fish it ended up being a smelt inside a plastic bag. So not only are people leaving their garbage on the ice but they are also trying to hide it by sinking it. It's a shame really because had that fish not been caught it would eventually have died due to other complications. People need to grow up a bit and realize what we have is pretty good.

I have been lucky enough to own different properties at different times in my life and any that had significant road or water frontage would regularly gather garbage. If I didn't live on the land, when I got there I would routinely spend at least 1/2 an hour of my time picking up garbage along the road or water edge, or both. And there has never been a time where I didn't have to pick up at least one piece of some other person's junk from my land. Based upon those experiences, and my experiences with what I have seen at public access points and in the public water in general, I would NEVER allow public access to the waterfront of my property. Full stop. Or even to the majority of the neighbours.

The only good thing to come from my land gathering junk is that I have recovered a decent amount of free floating duck decoys that have found their way to my place. They have filled out the J hook array quite nicely. But mostly I hate the chore of cleaning up the garbage of others when I could be spending that thime hunting or fishing or anything other than picking up trash.

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 pm 
Walleye Master

All I can say is great job to anyone who cares enough and keep it up.

We clean our road every year for the annual trash bash. Each year we get less and less garbage. I believe some people notice and do begin to change their ways if they see positive results from others. That and I called the police because one idiot threw out a pile of magazines with his name and address on it. They told me he got charged.

Hate the slobs, but feel good about yourself for cleaning up after them Knowing you are not the only ones cleaning up either. I always tell my boys, if we don't clean it up, nobody else will either and when we are done to feel good about it. Just imagine what it would look like if everyone acted like a slob or no one cared.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

My wife, son and I clean our street every spring as well. It is a small dead end street east of Kingston surrounded by woods. There use to be a lot more garbage when people use to use our rood to walk their dogs but since the property around us was sold and no trespassing sings were posted I have really noticed the garbage a lot less. Still get the odd dumper here and there a few years back someone dumped the left overs from a butchered deer (not during hunting season). This would not be a big issue as there are a lot of coyotes that would clean it up in a couple days but they left it inside garbage bags when they dumped it. It boggles my mind seeing the crap people dump or leave behind. As for the ice how hard is it to take a grocery bag fill it with you waste and put it in a garbage can somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 pm 
Walleye

I hear and feel your frustration guys. Can't remember how many times I've had to pick up someone else's garbage at Huff's this winter. I'm sure I'll be picking it up off my shoreline in the spring too. Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:49 am 
Walleye Wisdom

You wanna lose faith in society.... come work in the big smoke to the west of you for a few days!!

Its good to have people who care and pick up after slobs!!

And we all wonder why access points become private/closed??

Thats why.... I would imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Off topic but about garbage and just venting.... To the guy who delivers the weekly flyer pack and decides to do it even during a snow storm, S**** Y**. Just blew out the driveway with the snow blower and then spent an hour and a half picking up a couple thousand 2" - 4" pieces of newspaper up off the driveway and road.... errrrr.

banner ad