Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwater Crappies
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:21 pm 
Walleye Fry

Now that the walleye season is over on the BOQ.. :cry: Looking to do some crappie fishing and just wondering what lakes are best for crappie and where to go etc.. any info would be greatly appreciated as I have never fished hardwater crappie. Thanks-WalleyeSlayer97

Post subject: Re: Hardwater Crappies
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 am 
Walleye Angler

Watched a show a few weekends ago and they were on Stuco lake in tweed, the show was filmed in spring after ice out but they were nailing them just out from the boat launch in tweed.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:18 am 
Guppy

seem to find them in similar spots to what you would in the spring only add a couple feet of water. Been thinking of trying some new spots for them as well. Anyone ever fished them on the bay??

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:42 pm 
Walleye

From what I have heard there are a few spots locally on the Bay, but you won't get anyone to tell you or anyone else where they are lol.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

Leeworthy wrote:
From what I have heard there are a few spots locally on the Bay, but you won't get anyone to tell you or anyone else where they are lol.

And that's how it should stay.... Too sensative of a fish to have honey holes plasterd on an online public fourm. Go out and find em..... People go far and wide on the bay to find pickeral, use the same determination to find those tasty crappies.... Also the search function on this fourm is your friend......

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:29 pm 
Walleye Fry

Perchslayer666 wrote:
Leeworthy wrote:

And that's how it should stay.... Too sensative of a fish to have honey holes plasterd on an online public fourm. Go out and find em..... People go far and wide on the bay to find pickeral, use the same determination to find those tasty crappies.... Also the search function on this fourm is your friend......[/quote
I did search for previous posts about crappies, but not much on them so that is why I made a new one, and walleye are a lot easier to find then crappie personally, so just calm down. I could care less if people tell me their spots, but atleast could say any local lakes they may have had success in. That's what this site is for..to help out fellow anglers my friend.....

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 am 
Walleye

Perchslayer666 wrote:
Leeworthy wrote:

And that's how it should stay.... Too sensative of a fish to have honey holes plasterd on an online public fourm. Go out and find em..... People go far and wide on the bay to find pickeral, use the same determination to find those tasty crappies.... Also the search function on this fourm is your friend......

Not sure why your on this forum then if your not willing to give a little info, why would you be on here?
Prob just to get info off everyone else I guess! Like he said didn't ask you for a spot just pointers.

Wish I could held ya bud but only ever got 3 slabs my hole life and they came from simcoe! Lol
Goodluck
Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:14 am 
Site Admin

The Glenora Fisheries Station runs a "Near Shore " netting program . The will tell you that there are ALOT of crappie in the bay and I do mean ALOT. Secondly the size, like all things that grow on Quinte they are big. The thing is no one really targets them. Years ago spent some time fishing for them on simcoe on the ice and they always showed up late ice in shallow water(3-4') around the marinas. I suspect they are the same here.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 pm 
Walleye Master

I've never targeted them on the ice, or softwater either....but I can tell you that there are some slabs on Rice Lake. I have caught many crappies, and some big ones too while fishing for walleye/bass. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice for ice fishing, but they are around all the Islands spring thru fall. Shallow and deep. Not sure if the season is even open for them in zone 17, so you might wanna check for yourself.

Hope this helps!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:25 pm 
Walleye Master

I was actually thinking about taking my boys to Rice Lake this weekend and try for some slabs. Crappie sunfish, pike and perch are now open all year in WMU 17. They changed the laws a few years back to include this. Does anyone know if there is too much snow to run a 4-wheeler out there?

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:22 pm 
Walleye Catcher

The east end of Loughborough has some nice crappie, bluegill and pumpkinseeds

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:06 pm 
Perch

adventure wrote:
I was actually thinking about taking my boys to Rice Lake this weekend and try for some slabs. Crappie sunfish, pike and perch are now open all year in WMU 17. They changed the laws a few years back to include this. Does anyone know if there is too much snow to run a 4-wheeler out there?

Give BJ's tackle a call they are in Bewdley i have fished that end of the lake a few times. we went from bj's up lake past long island and set up close to cow island.
he has or had minnows last year i was there.

let me know how you make out. i've been thinking of a trip out there

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:12 am 
Walleye Angler

Legend1984 wrote:
Perchslayer666 wrote:
Leeworthy wrote:

Not sure why your on this forum then if your not willing to give a little info, why would you be on here?
Prob just to get info off everyone else I guess! Like he said didn't ask you for a spot just pointers.

Wish I could held ya bud but only ever got 3 slabs my hole life and they came from simcoe! Lol
Goodluck
Cheers

Specific areas should not be posted period. General areas and tips, sure go nuts........ Like i said honey holes need to be kept under wraps , because im sure you don't want to be there the next time and you have 100 extra friends sitting on top of you.
I don't on know what search engine you are using but there is a plethora of info already on here.... All it takes is a little time to read through them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:26 am 
Walleye Angler

The guy come online and asked if anyone would give him a head start on his first crappie hard water tryout. If u do not want to help like name a lake, or give bait, FOW they r found in then why post. He knows people r out there and r catching them, he knows u don,t want to share any useful info, and I,m pretty sure he doesn,t need to know your name.
Pm sent
Cheers Rob

banner ad
banner ad