Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 pm 
Walleye Master

ut_falcon wrote:
Hi Al,

1. Fact: Atlantics and other native species are now being given priority on the credit river, here are some direct excerpts from the 2013 Credit River Fisheries Management Plan: http://iwffc.ca/credit-river-fisheries- ... mber-2013/ (the part about discontinuing brown trout stocking in the credit river if it competes with redside dace is really concerning)

“It should also be noted that brown trout are known to compete with brook trout and Atlantic salmon and are now considered an invasive species in some areas of North America (http://www.invasive.org). If rainbow trout are allowed access into the middle Credit River, there are concerns that competition between young rainbow trout and brook trout and Atlantic salmon will have negative impacts on these native species.”

Management objectives for Atlantic Salmon 2. prevention of competition with introduced species such as rainbow and brown trout;

Brown trout are known to negatively compete with native brook trout. More recently, this species has been considered as invasive in the province of British Columbia and states of New York and California.

Management Objective: Permit and encourage harvest of brown trout, with no size restrictions, in the middle and upper Credit River where this species overlaps with brook trout and Atlantic salmon range. Continue to pass brown trout above the Streetsville Fishway and restrict further access beyond the Norval Dam all year round. Supplemental stocking of brown trout in the main Credit River below Norval is supported unless range overlap with resident species-at-risk, such as Redside Dace, is discovered. Should this situation arise, supplemental brown trout stocking will be discontinued.

2. Fact: Steelhead stocking in the eastern end of lake Ontario was discontinued by the MNR due to the perceived smolting of rainbow down the St. Lawrence establishing naturalized runs of steelhead on the east coast. The reports mention genetic testing done that confirmed 50% of the fish were ganaraska strain which means they could come from any MNR stocked steelhead or natural fish from the ganaraska itself. Other sources of steelhead on the east coast were confirmed from the salmon river and other NY stocked fish. Atlantic salmon can just as easily travel down the st. Lawrence and interfere with existing native populations on the east coast.[/i]

Jon, All true and I don't disagree with any of your points.

BUT to my knowledge, the Credit River FMP is a combined effort of many agencies and organizations.
Trout Unlimited, Credit River Anglers, the Sir Issac Walton Group, Credit Valley Conservation Authority, Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters, OMNR just to mention a few.

This is the original plan in 2002.
http://www.creditvalleyca.ca/wp-content ... mtplan.pdf

Now we also have the FMZ16 council involved.
The aim is to protect the native brook trout in the upper portion of the Credit.
Huge water shed. All the way to Orangeville from Port Credit.
http://www.creditvalleyca.ca/wp-content ... -Zones.pdf

This is the jurisdiction under FMZ16 and nothing to do with the FMZ20 but we are aware of what is happening. So we sacrifice a few browns to protect and provide a better brook trout fishery. Take away the Atlantics and it would still be part of the FMP for the Credit.

I and a lot of other anglers are not worried with the direction of the Lake management.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 pm 
Walleye Master

being an outsider to Canada I still look at it as never look a gift horse in the mouth at one time someone fought and lobbied to get this fund to restore the atlantics this funding as Al said helps in many different ways not just in fish number......... you call off the promise and say you no longer need or want this fund you might be doubly sorry you loose any benefit you might gain in the way of Atlantic salmon and there is no guarantee the funds gained by the government will go into a cause you might want or be in favor of? How many psportsman were totally in favor of closing spring bear season? was that plight not funded by the government? I had to laugh at the thought of killing off swans because they are too many , invasive, and eat fish lol . man we cant get a kill off of ugly old cormorants , yet even there political money is being spent...... and you want to stop a program that's already up and running? as for me I say any money spent on fish and wildlife is GREAT. no matter how big and how small. what is the chances they would say ok no more Atlantic program and we will give all the money spent there to some cause the whole world will be totally in 100% favor of? and I wonder what that cause could be ? my luck its the spotted owl in BC lol ....... Have a good day gents

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I can see that the money is helping in other areas of the fishery. But why do we have to waste fish???? its been going on for 26 yrs..........

Would anyone tell little Johny in that classroom that he could catch an atlantic someday???? Little johny would say you were full of **** hahahhaha

What are the water Temps in cobourge creek in the summer time when those lil buggers are coming back into spawn??

People are always saying get out and voice your opinion. But really whats the point when it is all a bunch of smoke and mirriors, and politics that run it all???? This program was stopped by the mnr years ago, because they themselves said it would not work. But now for some reason since the OFAH and MNR teamed up it will work again????????? BS

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:00 pm 
Walleye Master

pickerel killer wrote:
People are always saying get out and voice your opinion. But really whats the point when it is all a bunch of smoke and mirriors, and politics that run it all???? This program was stopped by the mnr years ago, because they themselves said it would not work. But now for some reason since the OFAH and MNR teamed up it will work again????????? BS

Simply put, saying nothing will get you nothing. Saying something will at the least give you the satisfaction of standing up for what you believe in. Besides, it normally takes time for what you said to sink in. Results are usually not instant and apparent, but usually have a way of working themselves out.

As for re-introduction programs and getting others to help out, I believe the wild turkeys are a good example of this. It was attempted unsuccessfully for many years to bring them back. Other groups came in and helped out and in the end I'd say that program worked out pretty well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:09 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Here is a good read from a thesis from Waterloo University on the Atlantic Salmon program. It is a little long but I think has a lot of relevance
Attachment:
Glass_Carolyn.pdf

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:10 pm 
Walleye Angler

We need this kind of grass roots input from all who enjoy or depend on it or either recreation or livelihood.

Keep it up!! More info please.

I am more familiar with the situation on the east coast than in Lake O. I can tell you the amount of stocking of rainbows out in PEI has contributed to their presence more than those escaping from Ontario. Last year PEI, after stocking rainbows in local streams for decades, reversed its position and increased the harvesting of rainbows to 8 fish a day in order to try and reduce their numbers. They apparently compete favourably with salmon. Who would have guessed.

The atlantic salmon initiatives out there are fragile due to cormorant predation and habitat degradation.

Goodness knows I'd rather know a fish is reproducing in a healthy stream, than fish for one there.

Keep up the good work!!

Maple

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

adventure wrote:
pickerel killer wrote:

Simply put, saying nothing will get you nothing. Saying something will at the least give you the satisfaction of standing up for what you believe in. Besides, it normally takes time for what you said to sink in. Results are usually not instant and apparent, but usually have a way of working themselves out.

As for re-introduction programs and getting others to help out, I believe the wild turkeys are a good example of this. It was attempted unsuccessfully for many years to bring them back. Other groups came in and helped out and in the end I'd say that program worked out pretty well.

The wild turkey example is poor. One is a complete success story, while the other is a complete dud! There is an estimated 7 MILLION TURKEYS IN ALL OF NORTH AMERICA!!!! Coiincidently enough that is the same number of atlantics that have been stocked in lake ontarion since 1987. This year there were 2 return to bowmanville dam. 9 return to P.C. Wild turkey was wiped out due to overhunting and poaching. Which still provided them a landscape to thrive again. While atlantics were wiped out due to climate change and natural degradation. 2 totally different things.

There has been millions and millions of atlantics stocked in lake Ontario for 26 years!!!!!
The MNR has Stated that it will not work, yet it still goes on.
The topdog of atlantics (Roger Griel) said it will not work.

There is obviously allot more to it, than my voice. Because knowbody would continue to invest millions of there own personal money into something for 26 years and not have anything in return!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 pm 
Walleye

Please everybody come out to the meeting in Belleville April 22nd we need to voice our concerns and opinions, I'll be there. The lake manager Andy Todd seems like a good guy and has been really receptive to my concerns, we can tell them in person.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:06 pm 
Walleye Master

I guess some are missing the point of the program at it's present state. The "Bring Back the Salmon" program is entering the 8th year of a 20 year program. Before that the OMNR stocked some tribs in Ontario with token amounts of fry and eyed up eggs but funding was not available for the assessment needed to determine if the stocking was successful.

As tax payers, this program is costing us very little. Most funding comes from the federal agencies and the private sector. I really don't think it is a big deal. If results are poor in another 10 years we can trash the program. I personally don't think it will work but that is just my opinion but I believe we have to give it some more time.

Back in the 80s, I was opposed to the tremendous numbers of Lake trout that the OMNR was stocking in the Lake. It was explained to me, the only reason that we get funding for lamprey control from DFO is that it is a native species. Also another restoration program. We would not get lamprey control for the other species stocked and the result would be a dead lake. I learned some thing back then and maybe have a chance to learn something in the future.

The Atlantic program is not a put, grow, & take fishery. The major objective is to get mature returning adults to spawn in the tribs.

DNA tests show that 30% of the Atlantics caught on the New York side of the lake are Ontario stocks.

At this point in time I am willing to give it a chance.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:31 pm 
Walleye Master

pickerel killer wrote:
The wild turkey example is poor.

The point of the wild turkey program is early attempts to re-introduce them failed for various reasons. Different groups "teaming up" were able to learn from each other and ended up making it the success it is today. That took many years to happen.

These same groups and others teaming up for the Atlantic program have the opportunity to learn from each other as well and probably end up benefiting the whole fisheries in many other ways as trannyman pointed out with the lake trout as another good example.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 pm 
Walleye

Trannyman1 wrote:
ut_falcon wrote:
Hi Al,

1. Fact: Atlantics and other native species are now being given priority on the credit river, here are some direct excerpts from the 2013 Credit River Fisheries Management Plan: http://iwffc.ca/credit-river-fisheries- ... mber-2013/ (the part about discontinuing brown trout stocking in the credit river if it competes with redside dace is really concerning)

“It should also be noted that brown trout are known to compete with brook trout and Atlantic salmon and are now considered an invasive species in some areas of North America (http://www.invasive.org). If rainbow trout are allowed access into the middle Credit River, there are concerns that competition between young rainbow trout and brook trout and Atlantic salmon will have negative impacts on these native species.”

Management objectives for Atlantic Salmon 2. prevention of competition with introduced species such as rainbow and brown trout;

Brown trout are known to negatively compete with native brook trout. More recently, this species has been considered as invasive in the province of British Columbia and states of New York and California.

Management Objective: Permit and encourage harvest of brown trout, with no size restrictions, in the middle and upper Credit River where this species overlaps with brook trout and Atlantic salmon range. Continue to pass brown trout above the Streetsville Fishway and restrict further access beyond the Norval Dam all year round. Supplemental stocking of brown trout in the main Credit River below Norval is supported unless range overlap with resident species-at-risk, such as Redside Dace, is discovered. Should this situation arise, supplemental brown trout stocking will be discontinued.

2. Fact: Steelhead stocking in the eastern end of lake Ontario was discontinued by the MNR due to the perceived smolting of rainbow down the St. Lawrence establishing naturalized runs of steelhead on the east coast. The reports mention genetic testing done that confirmed 50% of the fish were ganaraska strain which means they could come from any MNR stocked steelhead or natural fish from the ganaraska itself. Other sources of steelhead on the east coast were confirmed from the salmon river and other NY stocked fish. Atlantic salmon can just as easily travel down the st. Lawrence and interfere with existing native populations on the east coast.[/i]

Jon, All true and I don't disagree with any of your points.

BUT to my knowledge, the Credit River FMP is a combined effort of many agencies and organizations.
Trout Unlimited, Credit River Anglers, the Sir Issac Walton Group, Credit Valley Conservation Authority, Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters, OMNR just to mention a few.

This is the original plan in 2002.
http://www.creditvalleyca.ca/wp-content ... mtplan.pdf

Now we also have the FMZ16 council involved.
The aim is to protect the native brook trout in the upper portion of the Credit.
Huge water shed. All the way to Orangeville from Port Credit.
http://www.creditvalleyca.ca/wp-content ... -Zones.pdf

This is the jurisdiction under FMZ16 and nothing to do with the FMZ20 but we are aware of what is happening. So we sacrifice a few browns to protect and provide a better brook trout fishery. Take away the Atlantics and it would still be part of the FMP for the Credit.

I and a lot of other anglers are not worried with the direction of the Lake management.

Al

Al it goes beyond just sacrificing a few browns to save the brook trout, the plan mentions ceasing all stocking of browns in the whole river if they are found to be negatively effecting redside dace. So a minnow species is now going to take precedence over the migratory browns? That's how the report reads to me anyway. The steelhead lift over norval has been capped by mnr at 600 this year which I'm told is down from previous years. The plan also mentions that if norval cannot act as a barrier to other steelhead migrating upstream then the streetsville dam downstream will become the new lift barrier which would cut out quite a bit of spawning habitat.

I hardly ever fish the credit but this has wider implications across the province. You say that if the lake trout restoration program was not put in place we would have no funding for lamprey controls because it's a native species. My question is why does that matter, why when anglers contribute 2.4 billion dollars to the provincial economy each year do we only get lamprey control to sustain lake trout which is not the most heavily targeted species. Why can't we speak up and take a bit more control over OUR fishery, we as anglers contribute the most why shouldn't we get funding to control the lamprey population or to stock the fish we want. The American angling community seems to get it, they seems to have a much greater say in what goes on. The money NY puts into the fishery is staggering compared to ontario and with a city like Toronto sitting on the shores of the lake why can't we do the same. Look at the public access rights the state buys to allow all anglers equal access to the fishery, they treat it like a tourist attraction why can't we do the same?

NY stocks their browns three times the weight of our fish and twice the number, I read reports on Lake Ontario United everyday of 20, 30, 40 fish days, that would be nice to have here. They stock their fish by barge at night to reduce cormorant predation and have cormorant population controls in place to protect their fishery. Sorry for the rant it just blows my mind and gets my temper boiling, we need to step it up as a community.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

Guys, some of the best conversations I have read on this sight. Some great reads from all sides, it shows that there are some pretty intelligent fisherman who have a lot of smarts and are up on all the latest info out there on this topic. Kudos to all who posted. I remain neutral even though my steelhead heart tells me otherwise! I hope they have a great turnout on the 28th and if I can make it I would love to here more.

Gord

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:11 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I know we talked about this last night, but I was not going to get into it because we would still b there talking about it. :D
First off, if its all about re-introducing a species and re-habilitation we should not be able to harvest a Atlantic. (If you ever caught one)
Secondly I do not think the ofah should be involved. They have been mis-leading the public on the topic and also would not consult with outdoor radio joirnal on the topic! Which if you are recievi g taxpayers dollars they shoul be obligated to talk about it! The government cut the funding for the project and the OFAH was right there to lick it up with there wine company backer. That money is already a lost cause and you won't get it back. Privatization of the fishery is a bad thing.

Thirdly if the stocking of Atlantics from 1987-2005 is being considered a loss due to poor stocking routines then maybe we should be fireing up the splake program as well. Maybe it was a dud due to poor stocking efforts. Etleast we were able to catch them.

I know this program supports other things in the fishery, but misleading the public and the wasteing of fish is not right.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:32 pm 
Minnow

With a couple million stocked and a HANDFUL of returns every year, why continue wasting fish and hatchery space? If they want to spend money on stream rehab, have at it. If you spent Millions in the stock martket and only got a couple bucks in return, would you do it?

banner ad
banner ad