Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33 pm 
Walleye Master

Today Dad and I were team cracka-noon with both of us sleeping in. It was actually kind of nice. We managed to get to the ramp for 1'ish...had to wait for a number of boats who were all getting off the water from their morning fish.

We made our way east and started fishing right away.Water was 44 degrees there was a little bait here and there.We had a spread mixed with shallow sticks and mid depth divers. Clown crystal minnow on the board caught the first fish......a good laker.

We continued our way and the high thunderstick fired next...another laker.

We were only fishing 20' - 25' of water so it was surprising to see all the lakers around. We marked some bait and no sooner i pop the coordinates in the gps the long line crystal minnow rod started bopping....the laketrout bop.

We were catching lakers up high, midway down, on J13's, Thundersticks, and crystal minnows...there weren't being picky.

We were marking some good hooks and I knew they couldn't all be lakers....

I looped out a little deeper into 35' of water and added a couple clown spoonbill minnows in the spread...

That's what it took. The long line was smashed. I knew this one wasn't a laker. I had fun with this one...i love spring kings.

Couldn't muster any more kings but closed the night with a few more lakers and a great sunset....

Sometimes it pays to sleep in.

Last edited by steve-hamilton on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:18 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Awesome report as always Steve, nice looking afternoon on the water with your dad, definitely a 'Good Friday'.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:07 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice fish Steve!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:53 am 
Walleye Master

Love your threads Steve, awesome !

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Nice lakers Steve, great info sharing.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:36 am 
Baitfish

Great job Steve. Seems like you have given up on SP'ers......certainly not the site it used to be.

I cannot believe the amount of lamprey marks on rainbows this spring. I'll have to keep a track of how many kings have these as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:40 am 
Walleye Angler

Do you guys launch right on Lake O real close to the QEW , south if Hamilton . I was heading home yesterday and saw a bunch of boats out probably about 15 boats . And they were less than a mile from shore and most were in close to shore . And you could see the parking lot for the launch from the QEW on the way by . Looked like a handy launch and calm water on the very west side of the lake.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:58 am 
Walleye Catcher

Great post, congrats on a fine day of catching!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 am 
Walleye Master

Great report Steve. That's what it's all about right there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:11 am 
Walleye Master

That is correct Catcher.

Not surprisingly, yesterday was a very busy day on the water.

Hamilton this time of the year is not the best location for browns or kings....we travel from hamilton down to the south shore (we are the west most section of the lake). I will fish from Stoney Creek/Grimsby (50 pt / Forans) to Weller (st Catharines).

Yesterday our initial plan was to launch out of jordan but there must have been 40 boats fishing the mouth or trying to get out when we passed the harbour at 12:30....so we kept on moving to St Catharines.

Pt D is a 4 pad launch so in and out goes a little smoother....when we arrived there was at least another 40 trailers there.....3 lanes coming "out" with one lane going "in".

Spoke to the guys running the ramp....many browns were caught....one bow.....and one king.....lots of boats for only one king....so my hopes weren't high, but I went east none the less looking for mid depth browns and kings...as the shallows had been pounded all morning...likely making for some spooky browns...

Where we fished we didn't find browns but many lakers....it was strange to see lakers slurping up body baits and stick baits in water less than 25'....and heck, we weren't fishing bottom....our crystal minnows and spoon bill minnows were only being set back 120'....

The thundersticks only go max 7' down....the lakers were smashing the thundersticks just under the surface!

HBC, yes, since Jay left I haven't liked the direction....this is actually the only public board I post on .... and one private board - Reelbuddies. Have toned down the internet posting, as I have nothing to sell....most who post hard these days (except some of the gems like Dave (Superdad)) have something to sell.

I'll keep up the reports here...i love the user base....Dan runs a tight ship - and a good one at that!

Any questions let me know...i'll do my very best to help out.

See ya on the water,
Steve

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:28 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Steve , I've said it once and I'll say it again , your posts are awesome ..!!! I figured when I drove by that you might have been out there. Looks real nice in that area for trolling. Keep up the awesome reports .

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:59 pm 
Walleye

:D :D :D

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Atta boy Steve!!! I'd call that a GREAT Good Friday fish.

Maple

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:56 am 
Walleye

steve-hamilton wrote:
HBC, yes, since Jay left I haven't liked the direction.

Steve

you are not the only one dude. try and have an opinion over there that doesn't agree with the owners and your posts are deleted. thanks again Dan for the best FISHING board on the net.

banner ad
banner ad