Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:11 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How much backing?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Hey guys. I'm spooling a okuma convector 30 with 30lb PP braid. How much backing, and what kind is best?

Sorry if this has been covered. I have searched the site but couldn't find anything.

Post subject: Re: How much backing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 am 
Walleye Master

What is your intended use?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 am 
Walleye Fingerling

If possible I would like to use it for trout, fall walleye, and dipsy diving salmon (when the fleas aren't bad). The reels are paired with TDR 9' rods. I just can't afford to buy multiple set-ups...... Yet! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 am 
Walleye Master

No Backing.

Fill it with all 30 lb PP.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:32 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Do I need to fill it to capacity so the line counter is more accurate or does it really matter? If it fills 420yds of 20lb test, wouldn't it be approx 840 yards of 30lb braid? Sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly new to big water trolling and have been running friends' gear. Right now I have 2 x 300 spools of 30lb PP, would joining them with an Albright or double uni work if I have to fill it right up?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:42 am 
Walleye Master

your not going to like this answer ($$$) but remember, it lasts forever.

go to a tackleshop with bulk line and fill it full of 50lbs braid (if your planning on using it for dipsy's).

if not, go with 30lbs braid....

i have reels filled with braid that the line is over five years old....it doesn't break down....

save your line you have now for other purposes.

your going to want to fill any 20 or 30 size reel with braid, no backing.

if it was me, i'd rather go with 50lbs braid because of the dipsys then 30lbs braid for the "rest" and hope with dipsy's your ok...

i've broke 30lbs braid on a dipsy hit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks for the help guys. If 50# is the answer, that's what I'll have to do. I can re-spool all my other rods with the 30. Will the 50# with 20 or so feet of flourocarbon work for the rest (trout, fall walleye) or will it be too thick?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:32 pm 
Walleye Master

i don't believe it will be too thick.

30lbs has an 8lbs diameter, so what, 50lbs has a 12lbs diameter?

I think you'd find many "mono" guys running 12lbs mono for their walleye.

Just run a 20' flouro lead of your choice.

my first two years fishing quinte in december I had reels with 50lbs braid....and they worked...no issues.

personally, i'd rather go 50lbs and be good with dipsy's then run 30lbs (better for walleye) but not be good with dipsy's.

and again, braid lasts forever (as long as you don't run into major tangles ... been there and done that, lol)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:29 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree with Steve if you are going to use it for kings 50 lb braid would be safer then 30lb. I think you could get away with 30lb but 50 would be better and isn't much more money. I would add 20 or 30 ft of 20lb floro leader maker for the fall and cut it off in the summer for dipsys. It will work fine.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be upgrading to 50lb for dipsy work! Now to save my cash for salmon season!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 am 
Walleye Fry

I also have the same reel witch I will only be using for eyes. I am also new to this but I am finding it hard to understand why on earth anyone would need to put 800 plus yards, (2400 ft) almost half a mile, of expensive braid on when you can back it with cheap mono? I understand why the spool must be filled in order to have a reliable line counter but if you are never going to use 800yrds i could see putting 300yrds but even that is a ton of line.
If someone could explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 am 
Walleye Master

I personally filled my 30 size reels with 30lb mono backing and then 300yrds of braid. I've never had a king go 1000feet although I'm sure it's possible.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 am 
Walleye Fingerling

BigMac wrote:
I personally filled my 30 size reels with 30lb mono backing and then 300yrds of braid. I've never had a king go 1000feet although I'm sure it's possible.

Are you running dipsy's?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:39 am 
Walleye Master

If you are going to be running big dipsys for salmon, you will want to consider a dipsy rod. The issue becomes more of popping them loose when you want to reel them in. A 9' downrigger rod will bend too much and not release. It makes for a long drag back to the boat to get your dipsy in. A dipsy rod is much stiffer and allows you to pop them loose and makes it easier. They really aren't that much and you could switch your reel over to save costs.

As for backing, I'm waiting to see how this goes as well. I usually only run a maximum of 200 feet of line for the dipsy. That still leaves 400 feet for fighting. Of course that little knot joining the two lines together and a 50 lb salmon is always on your mind. For this reason I think ideally you want it all the same, but if you can't afford ideal, backing as BigMac said may be the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am 
Walleye Catcher

I too use 30lb braid with dipsy's but I'm mostly fishing back lakes for lakers, not lake O. If you are going to fish lake O for kings take it from Steve and Scott.

I would be curious to hear why guys are putting so much line on the reels though? I realize the counter works better when the reel is full, is that the only reason, or is it in case of fowl up/break off? I just put a 300 yrd spool on my line counters. With a bit of cheap 20lb big game mono so the spool is a bit fuller and the braid won't slip on the spool.

I have an 8'6" TDR and have never had a problem popping open a dipsy to retrieve it, but if your 9' rod is really soft you might want to consider a stiffer one. Try popping the dipsy open BEFORE you let it down. Reeling up buttoned dipsy's is no fun