Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:08 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey guys....I'm in the market for a new trolling motor, and was looking for some input on electric steer vs. cable steer. I've only ever used electric, so not really sure what the difference is between the two. I've done some research, but would like to hear some first hand info. I use it about 50% of the time for actual trolling, and 50% for slow moving/casting. My old motor was a cordless Motorguide, and I did like the idea of the cordless foot pedal so I could move or sit anywhere in the boat whether casting or trolling.
Any info would be appreciated....

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hey I have used both and they both have pros and cons.

Wireless:
Pros- good if you don't have a good sized deck on your boat or no deck. You can steer it from almost anywhere in the boat.
Cons- there is an annoying lag time that causes you to over steer or over correct when steering. If someone is in between the control and the trolling motor it sometimes does not work. The remote needs batteries and batteries die.

Cable control:
Pros- steering is instant (no lag time) and it doesn't run of batteries.
Cons- limited to how far you are away from the trolling motor. Need a decent deck on your boat fo it to be comfortable to use (high swivel seat even more comfortable)

In my opinion cable drive steering is less of a headache for every day use (the lag time drives me nuts with wireless) . If you don't have the proper size deck I would go with wireless.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:13 am 
Walleye Angler

I have the cordless and totally agree with above post. When trolling for walleye I like to set the electric straight forward, lower the main motor, sit in drivers seat and use the cordless to set speed, and steer with the main motor, it acts like a rudder and works out quite well.
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:14 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm in a 16 footer with a deck, but it is small....1 person. When casting off the front deck, I have to watch I don't get into heavy weeds, or it will blow a fuse with the wireless. No big deal, but just something I have to watch out for. I do a lot of walleye trolling in shallow weedy water (6-12 feet) so I like to use the electric motor so I don't have to use planer boards because there is very little noise compared to a kicker. I never had any issues with my wireless, (until the circuit board blew) but talking to a few dealers/mechanics, I guess it happens over time. The batteries in the foot pedal aren't really an issue, cause it's just an oversized watch battery....$3 I change it every spring, need it or not, and it lasts all season. I've also read that the electric steer motors are better for trolling. I think for the size of my boat, and the style of fishing I do, the electric steer/wireless suits my needs better.

There are also electric steer motors that are not wireless, so there are a few options.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 am 
Perch

I have an MinnKota iPilot PDv2 (wireless) and love it. There is no lag in steering. Cable steer might be more responsive if you keep your foot on the pedal constantly but that's a serious limitation in my mind.

The best part is that you don't have to steer to compensate for wind/current because it has navigation built in. The algorithms are not perfect but I've gone 20+ minutes without touching the controls on many occasions while being 100% free to focus on casting a shoreline.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:25 am 
Minnow

I have a minnkota cable 67thrust and have been using it for many yrs. My buddy bought a motor guide wire less and I thought that it would be amazing!!!! I hated it I found that once you are good with a cable motor and it just comes natural the wire less has a delay that is very annoying.
Also check this out!!!!! I have to friends with motor guides neither one works now!!! I tried fixing it and googled solutions, only to find nothing but BAD reviews, seriously go on you tube and see!!!!!

If you gonna but wireless must be a I-piolet!!! Works great with humminbird fish finders if your a lake guy and the sea anchor is amazing and works great!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:58 am 
Walleye Angler

My next motor will definitely be a IPilot, to be able to turn on the trace, cruise the weed bed or ledge then just turn on the IPilot to troll the trace would be so nice
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:47 pm 
Walleye Master

i'm kinda trolling motor junkie...i own a 80lbs thrust tiller mount as well as 80lbs thrust bow cable mount and 70lbs thrust bow electric powered pedal.

if your a bass fisherman who likes the weeds the power drive models are at such a disadvantage....like its not even remotely close....

however, if you use your motor for any form of trolling, the cable drive becomes useless.

i tell my friends who ask me which one I like more that if you fish bass in weeds even remotely often, go with cable drive....

BUT, and this is a big but, if your not a bass fisherman who fishes slop, the power drive (all different versions and models) certainly is better in my mind.

I love doing what another poster suggested.

drop my power drive, mine has the pedal cable....i'm in a tiller boat...even though cabled, not wireless, i bring the pedal back to my tiller, set the speed and use my tiller outboard to steer like a rudder.....

you could never consider this with a cable driven motor....

but some of the slop we fish....a power driven pedal motor becomes as useful as an anchor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:16 am 
Walleye Master

Well, I ended up going with the Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 with I-pilot and tried it out yesterday for the first time. I started off bass fishing near some heavy cover. Positioned the boat right on the edge of the slop, set the spot lock/anchor mode and cast away....moved on to another spot where I wanted to cast to a shoreline so I set the motor on Autopilot with cruise control, and slowly made my way down the shoreline casting with never having to touch anything on the motor. Got out into some open water and set spot lock again and drop shotted for smallies. Later on trolled for walleye and again set the Auto pilot with cruise control, and it was basically hands free trolling. The I-pilot is great. Wind is almost a non factor now for me whether fishing out in open water, or tight in on a shoreline.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 am 
Walleye

Motorguide has it hands down,here's a demo I did for the new motorguide xi 5,I have another vid where I'm fishing it in 30mph wind and a strong current to show how it holds on the spot lock feature,I basically would toss a MK in the dumpster,now that this thing is out,,and on the market,it is light years ahead of the competition,and light years ahead of MG's previous "W" series of motors,the new pinpoint system is set to be released shortly,where it can be hooked to any Lowrance HDS graph,it also has 2 gps receivers in the head,to keep itself on track,Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am 
Walleye

if you click on the pic above,it will take you for a 4 minute ride in the slop,and is hosted on photobucket.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:31 pm 
Minnow

Aquasport200ccp wrote:
Motorguide has it hands down,here's a demo I did for the new motorguide xi 5,I have another vid where I'm fishing it in 30mph wind and a strong current to show how it holds on the spot lock feature,I basically would toss a MK in the dumpster,now that this thing is out,,and on the market,it is light years ahead of the competition,and light years ahead of MG's previous "W" series of motors,the new pinpoint system is set to be released shortly,where it can be hooked to any Lowrance HDS graph,it also has 2 gps receivers in the head,to keep itself on track,Image

Most reports I've heard are that the new motorguide is similarily junkie as previous motorguide electric steers. I have read way more negatives than positives so far. I wouldn't chance one with all the bad reviews I've read on walleye central from actual users. Most there who have bought the motor guide are saying they wished they had either gone with or stuck with Ipilot. Motorguide does make pretty good cable steers though. I think your a bit premature with your statements that minn kotas belong in the dumpster!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:39 pm 
Walleye Master

I came very close to buying the new Motorguide xi5, but the Minn Kota with I-pilot was $400 cheaper for a motor with same power/shaft length etc... I don't know if the Motorguide is any better, but is it worth the extra $400?? Also for some reason, Motorguide/Mercury has failed to supply the quick release brackets to Canada. They can be ordered from the US, but I did not want to wait.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:41 pm 
Walleye

meat sticks wrote:
Aquasport200ccp wrote:

Most reports I've heard are that the new motorguide is similarily junkie as previous motorguide electric steers. I have read way more negatives than positives so far. I wouldn't chance one with all the bad reviews I've read on walleye central from actual users. Most there who have bought the motor guide are saying they wished they had either gone with or stuck with Ipilot. Motorguide does make pretty good cable steers though. I think your a bit premature with your statements that minn kotas belong in the dumpster!
there will alway's be naysayers,and armchair QB's,can you show me some of these "junkie" links ? MG uses not 1 single part or idea from the "old school" W series motors,which were extremely under achieving,in my experience,and most others,,,,,,and no, many hours with both on the water does not constitute,a premature conclusion,it's real life "break it if ya can" testing,there is a night and day of difference performance level between the 2 brands,reading reviews from inexperienced sources does,however,constitute premature guessing ,whereas actually beating the crap,out of 'em both,is a way better method of proving,the naysayers wrong,have fun reading your reviews and your mota' choice,,I've made my choice, and can't ever go back to something that can't put as many fish in the boat,because it's lost on spotlock most of the day,and can't cut it in the slop,and at the end of the day, isn't staying on a rockpile,and plowing thru slop to catch fish,where nobody else bothers to go, what it really all boils down to? you should go get one of each and test them and sell the lesser unit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 pm 
Minnow

Ah yes,

You of course are the experienced expert review we should listen too. No doubt everyone else is a bare rook with no idea. Sincerest apologies... Moving on!