Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Cabela's
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

This is an interesting debate...you're gonna be hard pressed to get knowledgeable fishermen helping customers at any big box retailer including Cabelas boys. When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. And that is no desrespect to those individuals who are trying to make a living working there. I think a few people need a little broader perspective on how retailing works, where the products we buy are manufactured, etc. You have to do your homework and challenge your brands when their products don't measure up. I changed my mind on selling my Daiwa tournament series reels recently after learning that Daiwa and Shimano shifted their manufacturing to Malaysia and China. Mine were made in Japan and despite the comments here, these new facilities do not have all of their quality controls well, under control. My Daiwa tournament series reels have been fished hard over the past 10 - 12 years with not a single problem, not even a popped bail spring. The new line of Shimano reels (2014) have had all kinds of problems. I won't point fingers, but you can guess why. Learned this from some close allies and very experienced sales staff that work at LeBaron Outdoor products in Richmond Hill. I do think it's best to support our local retailers and personally, I find some (not all) of the staff at SAIL just as ill informed as the other big box retailers. And SAIL really bugs me with their loyalty program. Spend money here and we'll put you on our mailing list to let you know when sales are on. Really?!? At least I get points at BPS that convert into real dollars, even when I shop sales. The best way to find quality merchandise is to do some homework online, better yet, talk to other fishermen about their experience with the products. I buy some of my merchandise at my local retailer and the big box, and plan your shopping around sales. I love going to BPS in Vaughan when I'm in the mood to be wowed by my surroundings, but their everyday prices are very expensive when compared to folks like LeBaron and Gagnons. If your local retailer doesn't stock what you're looking for, talk to them. All the stores order through a finite group of distributors, so give them a chance to get what you need. Sometimes, it might just take a little time for them to get it in...I do hear that Cabela's does things differently. I guess time will tell as we get to experience their new store in Barrie. Happy shopping...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Surprisingly I have found some items cheaper in Bps (not house branded stuff) than in sail or lebarons, and other items are slightly more expensive in Bps than in the other 2 aforementioned shops..... So I dont know, its a debate that will always be there. I like bps for the points and I like sail and lebaron for being 100% canadian. But when you look at a bps or cabelas you can't help but think that these stores are made for Canada - I remember as a kid watching tnn and seeing all these bass shows and ads for bps in the USA and dreamed of the store coming here .... It finally did and cabelas is to finally coming the vicinity of the GTA. My dreams have come true, so I'm not complaining.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:38 am 
Walleye

was in buffalo last week and the one there is opening up in august fyi for those that shop across the border

banner ad