Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cabela's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:28 am 
Walleye Angler

Hi, Guy's. Grand Opening of new Cabela's in Barrie on July 10 - 11. 70,000 sq. ft. Of toys.

Post subject: Re: Cabela's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:19 am 
Walleye

Or July 9th if you get an invite.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 pm 
Walleye

Of course they built the damn thing so conveniently for anyone east of Toronto..................Hardly worth the drive across the city when Sail and Gagnon's are on this side, let alone drive another hr or so north to Barrie............No thanks, Will support those much more convenient

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 am 
Guppy

People complaining about an hours extra drive...try living in eastern ontario, we have sail in Ottawa but thats all to visit bass pro or cabelas it 4 1/2-5 1/2 hour drive. Thankfully bass pro opening 2015 in Ottawa cant wait.

Whocares

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:44 pm 
Walleye

Or try buying your stuff at one of the local shops that support the local fishing industry. Just a thought.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 pm 
Walleye

Boys boys boys its not about the drive or how far it is its the experience remember the first time you went in to bass pro its was like heaven you never wanna leave and jumping around like a 4 year old in the toy isle at WalMart thats what cabelas will be

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 pm 
Walleye Master

first time i walked into bps I saw a big Chinese flea market.

so many "BPS" brands made from the cheapest materials imaginable - all from China.

asked the fella where they kept their reef runners. he said check with the muskie guys.

then i picked up two cheap bps flippin sticks that I wanted to use for spring kings on my long lines....I brought them to the reel counter to ensure a tekota 500lc would fit the reelseat....

as bass rods aren't designed for trolling reels, you have to make sure the reel seat will fit a trolling reel....

he told me that i was using the wrong rod and promptly brought me a shimano tdr for my trolling needs.

that's when i realized what i had walked into.....

the walmart of fishing stores.

no knowledge. tons of garbage products. most stuff coming from China.

Sail - now that store knows what is up....but then again, they are Canadian.

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Cabela'sq
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Don't forget that Cabelas is 70,000 sq. ft. Half the size of Bass Pro 140,000 sq. feet.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:11 am 
Walleye Angler

steve-hamilton wrote:

so many "BPS" brands made from the cheapest materials imaginable - all from China.

asked the fella where they kept their reef runners. he said check with the muskie guys.

then i picked up two cheap bps flippin sticks that I wanted to use for spring kings on my long lines....I brought them to the reel counter to ensure a tekota 500lc would fit the reelseat....

as bass rods aren't designed for trolling reels, you have to make sure the reel seat will fit a trolling reel....

he told me that i was using the wrong rod and promptly brought me a shimano tdr for my trolling needs.

?? So by the associate telling you that you were using the wrong rod for down rigging (which you were) and suggesting the correct rod for the reel's intended use, you feel that they are not knowledgeable? Do you expect them to read minds or something? This is Laughable.
I go to bps any chance I get and I can tell you if really needed to ask a question that required a in depth response and suggestion of product I'd be very comfortable with the associates at bps.

And the Chinese lure debate is garbage. The quality coming out of China these days is very good to say the least. 95% of lure manufacturers make lures and source components from China that you see on the rack.... When you look at a $2.99 lure, do you expect it to last 10 years? C'mon man, get realistic!!!

Personally Ive been very happy with bps rods/reels/lures, and understand you get what you pay for with everything in life.

There are always 2 sides to every coin no sense in always calling heads, if you know what I mean.

PS. They also make reef runners in muskie size so judging by the meat stick you had in your hand at the time the assumption that you were going after muskies would also be correct.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:52 am 
Walleye

steve-hamilton wrote:

I am not a fan of BPS either. they don't have a big selection of the tackle I use. Cabelas on the other hand I love. I haven't even been in one of their stores yet but I have been ordering online and having it sent to my in-law's place in the US for at least a decade. I agree that most of the "associates" that work in these big box tackle shops are out of the loop when it comes to unconventional fishing techniques.....but then again......I had a guy at one of my local shops tell me that I had to use Spin Doctor sized swivels for trolling spoons for salmon. He insisted that a salmon would tear up even a size 3 (60#) spro :roll: Fortunately I don't go to tackle shops for advice on what to buy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Perchslayer666 wrote:
steve-hamilton wrote:

?? So by the associate telling you that you were using the wrong rod for down rigging (which you were) and suggesting the correct rod for the reel's intended use, you feel that they are not knowledgeable?

Did you miss the point in my post where I said, and I quote myself "LONG LINE" spring kings....no where did I mention a rigger. i'll simplify it for you. long lines mean just that - long lines behind the boat...no boards, no riggers, no dipsy's, no leadcore, no copper....just long line....

A bps (which means underpowered) flippin stick works great for spring kings....again, for long lining... 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well I guess you learn something new everyday, long lining kings with bass sticks!! Sounds like fun anyways.

banner ad
 Post subject: Cabela's
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hard to get expert help these days......wonder how much they pay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:55 am 
Walleye Wisdom

[quote="GOT2FSH"]Hard to get expert help these days......wonder how much they pay?
My buddy from Barrie turned down what they were offering minimum wage $11.00 hr,they asked him how much he wanted he said $14.00 hr.They told him that the manager wasn't getting that much.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:09 am 
Walleye Angler

Lol look at the fixtures and stuffed animals throughout the store... The money was already spent. Thats pretty pathetic $11 buck an hour for a store that should do 15+ Million in sales per year.....

banner ad
banner ad