Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:32 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:42 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Was able to get out with Hay Bay Larry on Tues. Launched at Adolphustown side and headed east into the 35KPH winds (not as bad as Saturday - but three and four footers).

Met Roughrider who was out and had just released a nice 12 lber. We made a couple of runs with the wind and it was difficult trolliing. Went ashore to pick up the lunch and decided after that to fish in the lee of the ferry terminal on the east side.

We set the lure and board and downrigger and within a 100 yds the board went sideways. FISH ON - a nice 11 lber. OKAY.

Trolled further to the red marker near Glen Is, making a turn, my board was skittering, pulled it in to have a look and Gee Whiz and 21" - 3 lber was hanging on lure.

Trolled that area and past the red marker with the wind blowing down Carnachan bay we were bouncing around again, back into the lee and the Board bounced again. Reeled in a 6lber. Set the lines again and shortly thereafter, the board stopped again. This time the lure was holding a 12 lber.

This action took place from 1150 to 1330. Hay Bay Larry couldn't buy a strike.

We both trolled the boards and the same lures for a while but the action shut down. On the last pass of the afternoon, I had switched colours and the board really stopped. As Roland Martin say WHOOOOOO SUN.

The fish was dragging the board back across the water. HBY says looks kinda pale for a walleye, WHoosh into the net is an 11.5 LB SHeepshead. Pulled REALLY hard - a nice fight.

We went ashore at 1530, rather windblown but feeling great.

What lure was Superdad using??????? I would like to thank Charlie Wray for his TV show from last year and he was using the Size 6 (3/4OZ) Power Dive Minnow. I picked a bunch from eBay over the winter and they paid off yesterday. I was using the Firetiger for the walleyes and switched to a Silver/Blue Top/Orange Throat that hooked the sheepshead.

Roughrider said there were fish out from the MNR on the west shore and we found large schools on the east side close to the ferry terminal.

Pictures will follow.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject: Great Report
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Superdad,

As always another great report. Sounds like the school has moved up a bit from down the reach. I saw the show with the power dive minnows.. To be honest I think any large stickbait placed at the right depth is going to produce. Last year the best day I had was with a Storm thunderstick in firetiger.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:54 am 
Guppy

Super Dad, thanks for the report. Will be coming to BOQ on Nov11th fo 4 days. We used to use 3/4 oz Power Dive minnows in Erieau Canada a few years ago when the walleye fishing was real good.We ran them 200ft behind planer boards to get them deep and they were the best bait for that area. Also 3/4 oz Hot Lips Express in firetiger or blue/chrome or blueberry muffin, were good colors. How far behind your in-line boards were you running them on the 19th? Man, after reading these reports on the fishing at BOQ can hardly wait for the 11th to get here. Do you have any idea how long it takes to drive from Windsor, Canada to Picton in good weather conditions?Will be towing my boat. Thanks,
Tom O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great report SD!

Sounded like a good time!

Post subject: 19th
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:00 pm 
Walleye Catcher

We had the planer boards out 100 feet from the boat and 120 feet back. I'll be out tomorrow to see how things are again. Last of my holidays.....Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:45 pm 
Walleye

Hey Tom o depending on where on the BOQ your heading , your about 6 hours min. I use to live in Chatham and the run is quite long especially around noon or supper thru TO. Take the 407 if you want to bypass the whole crap. Costs about 8 bucks on the toll but well worth it. JMO :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:26 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Tom O wrote:
How far behind your in-line boards were you running them Thanks,
Tom O

We were running them a little further, 200 ft off the planer boards :!:

Post subject: How Far Back
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:28 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Running 120' - 150' back from the boards.

Using BRAIDED line - goes a little deeper with less line out.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:31 pm 
Minnow

I'm coming up the same weekend as Tom O and will be fishing together. I take the 407 all the time when I head up to Lake Simcoe. But does 407 tie back down to 401 after you pass Toronto. The only maps that I see shows that it basically dead ends. Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:31 pm 
Baitfish

Stormsearch , the 407 does not tie in with the 401 east of Toronto. I think it basically comes to an end at Brock Road , then you have to travel south to catch the 401. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:55 am 
Minnow

Thanks Walleyhunter, been making plans for BOQ for over 5 years. I had to give up deer hunting in order to do it. Looking forward to coming in two weeks.

Post subject: November 11-14
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:21 pm 
Guppy

I will also be coming up to join Stormsearch and Tom O for the weekend of fishing. Is there someplace I can secure a hotspot fishing chart or something similar? :?:

Mr. Barkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:01 pm 
Minnow

Rick, I had to order mine, couldn't find them locally in the store.

http://www.fishinghotspots.com/fhsinet/ ... m?state=23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:12 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I just saw some of the maps at Quin!e Ou!door Spor!s. They are located on Hwy 62 just North of Belleville, North of Walmar!, on the West side of the Hwy in a little strip mall. The maps are right at the checkout.

../DogBoat

Post subject: Hot Spot Map
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:55 pm 
Guppy

Thanks dogboat for the info. I plan on ordering one on the net. If I don't get it in time, I'll stop by Quinte Outsports. With all the fishing reports I can't wait to fish BOQ. Stormsearch said it correctly, we been talking about a trip for five years. This is the year. Maybe two trips if I'm lucky.

Mr. Barkie