Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 am 
Walleye Master

Just a reminder, the kingston waterfront meeting is tonight, we need people so show up and let the city know that we aren't happy with the current situation.

From poor launch conditions to lack of parking, to $18 launch fee's at ports mouth harbor.
To those that don't run in and pay the $18 with wallet open, I am calling you out, This is your chance to let the people know that can do some thing about it.. I don't launch at portsmouth because i am not willing to pay the $18 or risk having my rig towed, or having them put a chain and lock across the launch so you can't get your boat out. Its not a free launch.....

7pm Portsmouth harbor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 am 
Walleye Master

This is a ramp in a very small town on the ny side of the lake. town of chaumont.
There is parking for 40 plus boats, its just a simple double wide launch. There is several parking fields not pictured.
This is better then any thing we have in Kingston.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:17 pm 
Walleye

You don't have to go that far. Just look at Deseronto. Much better than Kingston

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Here are the links to the Waterfron Master Plan...

http://www.cityofkingston.ca/city-hall/ ... aster-plan

as well the link for the Open House information for this evening...

http://www.cityofkingston.ca/city-hall/ ... tor%3Dtrue

Reading thru, not much or anything for that matter is mentioned specifically about the launches.

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:51 pm 
Walleye Master

Or even finkles. Mind u a secondary floating dock at finkles would be nice. I wish I could be there to support. Collins bay ramp is an embarrassment. Horrible parking, the pad has metal bolts and rebar sticking out of it and the dock is collapsing. It hasn't been refurbished since the 80's.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

BigMac...not only all those issues but included is safety for accessing the area in general.

I've pulled my boat in, realized too late I can't get turned around at all, had to get my wife to stand in the middle of Bath Rd to block traffic on both sides to stop traffic so I can back out of the parking area.

Very scary and unsafe!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

Collins bay has just enough room for me to turn around and line my boat up, but people keep parking in the round about space creating the need to back out onto bath road. Some time it's the inconsideration of fellow boaters that cause dangerous situs for others. Hard to believe there is a large parking lot just a few feet down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:50 am 
Walleye Master

Is the church ok with parking in their lot. I've done it a few times but always nervous that I'll be towed or ticketed.

I know what you mean about people parking along the fence line. That's usually people fishing on the dock or just reading the paper. I had to yell at someone last year because at 6am they were the only car there and watched me struggle to turn boat around. Finally I snapped and he left. Idiots

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:10 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Before reading this, please understand that I'm providing the following as my personal opinion and view of the meeting...

The meeting last night was well attended. Although I was with the group that I believe were most interested in boat launches or access to the water, I did see one person carrying a fishing rod so hoping their group too had some focus on it as well.

Again, IMO - It was a great informal way to meet with likeminded people and hear what others had to say on all aspects of our waterfront.

The format of the meeting was;

1) an over-view of the Committee and all parties involved.
2) an open forum to provide feedback and have questions answered.
3) a "postcard" survey to provide what you feel the Top 6 areas the group should focus on. (Please read below to access)
4) maps were provided with a view of the 280 km's of waterfront at each group table. All attendees were to label areas they feel needed to be upgraded or new access given. Ours of course focused on additional launches and improvements to existing.

Those that are interested, the following link is to the Cities web-site and a survey they'd like for people to complete. Basically it's an opportunity to fill in what you feel are the Top 6 areas that the Waterfront Master Plan should include / provide.

http://youropinion.cityofkingston.ca/s/ ... asterplan/

The City will be holding more of these events in the near future and I strongly encourage you all to attend.

When / if I hear of other opportunities to provide input, I will post here and hope others will as well.

A big thanks to Jamie Lemery who is involved in the Committee and I feel confident he will do his best to relay information to the group as well as provide a very valuable insight into what may be lacking and could be improved.

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:35 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I personally don't get down that way too often but have filled out the survey and happy to show my support.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

More blocked waterfront.... I just drove by the park in ahmerstview just before millhaven across from the torn down plant and the waterfront park has been barricaded off and no trespassing signs posted. Hundreds of people use that property daily so I am sure will hit the news in the near future. When I was a kid we used that park for family picnics. Anyone have any insight on who is going to be the recipient of the backlash? I am pretty sure that park was maintained by the loyalist township crews and some of the benched and trees were donated in memory of late family members...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Holy Crap, Comit! I had no idea that was happening and use it often myself. We used to fish salmon and trout in the Fall there and also use it just to enjoy the waterfront.

Another spot that I noticed what looks like a brand new fence has been put up at is Dupont / Invista. They always had "no trespassing" signs but this looks new at the bridge.

WOW!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

yes legacy, they are enforcing the "no trespass " at DuPont, the security guard from the plant comes over and tells people to leave..... fished there since the 70's, used to take my son when he was small there, its to bad , this is happening all over. Sucks !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 pm 
Walleye Fry

That barricade across from the torn down plant has been up before but always seems to come down a few days later.
No idea why.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That's terrible...I've fished a lot at Dupont from shore. Actually, pretty much all the places I fished from shore are almost all blocked or fishing is frowned upon then.

Dupont
Causeway
DND
LOP

The dock at Collins Bay will soon (near future) be under development so that too will be gone.

If live in the City and you don't drive, good luck finding a spot.

We have 200 + kms of shore line and very little fishable from shore. WOW!!!

Please remember to fill in those cards on-line often and as much as possible and get others involved too.

I know if I didn't have fishing growing up and access to shore line to do so, my life would have been completely different and not for the good.

Cheers