Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:22 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bass adventure
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:46 am 
Walleye Master

I guess it is time for a bass report on here, so a friend and I headed out to a small lake up by Bancroft later Saturday afternoon to catch a few. Problem was, halfway into the lake we found out the road was washed out. After we got turned around, it was time for Plan B. Go to another lake I always wanted to try. I'd been there in the winter on the trails but never driven there by road. I think I took a left turn at Albuquerque and ended up where we started. Now it was starting to get dark and it was time for Plan C- drive out and go back down and take the lower road to Lingham Lake.
After this winter, the trial has been beaten up pretty good and Johnson hole was deep, especially in the dark towing a trailer with the 4-wheeler in it. Some of the rocks seemed to have grown as well with the dirt getting washed away on the hilly sections. But the Xterra was up for it and after grinding off a few coats of paint here and there and sanding down the brakes with some nice muddy water we were in around 11:00. We got set up and had a fire going and a cold beverage in hand with the lake only a few feet away. The neighbours came over for a chat to see what the heck we doing coming in so late. We told our story and quite a few more were told after that. I'm not really sure what time we finally got to sleep.

As for the actual fishing part, we probably started a little later in the morning than we planned, but we still did alright. We boated probably 15 bass between 1-3 lbs but no real biggies in a couple of hours. I don't think we really fished that hard though. After a nice lunch of venison sausage, we packed up and headed back down the trail. That's the great thing about going fishing, you never know what kind of Adventure it'll turn into.

Attachment:
Lingham12.JPG

Attachment:
Lingham11.JPG

Attachment:
Lingham13.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Bass adventure
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Awesome, been there before :). Sounds like a great adventure!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

Sweet !!! Looks like a nice trip you had . What were the bugs like ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Deet was our best friend. Black flies, mosquitos, deer flies and horse flies were all out together. I wouldn't want to be a forest creature in the woods right now. You'd lose your mind and beg someone to shoot you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:16 pm 
Walleye Master

that lake used to be such a hotspot...before the "road" was created.

I went in with the farmer in 1986.

One of the greatest fishing experiences of my life.

Back then we only had a spring scale that maxed out at 5lbs....

the amount of bass that maxed that scale out......wow!

now it appears to be a great numbers lake....and with the "easier" way in (less money at least), it's a great lake to bring young kids who can simply catch all the bass they want.

thanks for the report.

brought back some memories :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

Great show Dave, reminds me of some of the adventures I've had back home in Wayda, right
down to the xterra, great off road truck. That's what it's all about. Thank you Dave.
Donn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 pm 
Walleye Master

Glad you guys enjoyed.

It is definitely more of a numbers lake than it used to be. There have been a lot more people in over the last few years and you don't hear the stories of the 8 lbers anymore.

I've been going there since 1989 and drove in back then with a 1983 Toyota with 35 mudders on it. The road is better than it was, but you still need a good truck and need to be careful. They "fixed" it up somewhat when they put the new dam in a few years ago but it is washing out pretty good again. Hopefully it will get back to the way it was and slow down the crowds again.

And yeah, I have taken all three of my boys in at one time or another over the years and have many great memories camping back there with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

I remember crossing the river, the water in the IH scout was up to the steering wheel. when we opened the door to let the water out little beer bottles they hadn't made in years came with it.

banner ad