Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Resort Suggestions . . .
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:58 pm 
Guppy

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make a quick trip down to the BOQ from Ottawa for Aug 15-17 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on family friendly resorts that rent small cottages or have other types of accommodation? It will be my wife, our 4 year old and myself. Looking to do some fishing on the bay for the first time and just relax.

I've never been to the BOQ before, but I would like to try it out for Bass, Pike and Walleye (maybe even a Drum, LOL!). I'd also like to try for Salmon, Trout and Lakers if the weather cooperates and if they are available (not sure if you can get them in the bay itself or if you have to head out to the main lake).

Any suggestions or thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:02 pm 
Walleye Master

Check out some of the board sponsors. My suggestion would be west lake willows. It's 15 mins from picton and is on west lake which has great pike, bass and walleye fishing. He has slips for your boat and you can reach the bonnet for lakers/salmon right from the dock there. Great cottages with a/c and appliances and Scott is a great host as others will attest.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:42 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for the suggestion BigMac! I had a look at the links on the website and there are a bunch of options there for sure.

I also had a closer look at a map of the BOQ and it looks like I have a decision to make. Stay at West Lake and make a run out into the main lake if the weather cooperates, or stay on the other side by Picton and fish that "inner" section of the bay. I'm running a fairly large 16 foot tiller with a 70 Yamaha so I can handle some decent water (common sense obviously applies here), but I'm not sure how far out one needs to run to get into the Salmon and Trout.

On good days, I suspect I could head out there, but on other days, I wonder if the bay itself would be a better option than West Lake? The bay itself almost looks like some part of it should be fishable unless it's really goofy? Of course, from Picton I imagine it's going to be a fairly decent run to get out to Salmon and Trout water if the conditions are favourable.

Any thoughts there? Is the fishing in the bay itself typically better than West Lake? I would assume yes, just because of the size and options, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:32 am 
Walleye Master

Trout and salmon in aug can be had relatively close to west lake in august however from picton bay it is a very far run, like 20-30 miles.

There won't be a big difference in size of catch between quinte and west lake in august. The big quinte eyes won't be there yet so it'll be resident fish your targeting that will likely be deep in weeds. Give Scott a shout. He knows both fisheries very well and won't steer you wrong.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:47 pm 
Perch

I would suggest The Baycrest Lodge & Marina on Big Bay,We have been going there for over 40 years,they have comfortable cabins #2 & #4 are our favorites--also have a protected Marina, gas, and Bait (crawlers) available---Talk to Dave, The owner and tell him Dick from Mass. USA ,referred you--- The lodge is located on Big Island. Phone# 613-476-5357----Great for Bass - Walleye-Pike----good luck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:53 pm 
Walleye Master

the baycrest "house" for rent is classic! we did it with six guys a few years ago....talk about retro!

Dave is a good guy.

Scott, West Lake Willows is also top notch! Much newer accommodations.

Perfect Vue is also a great stop. Stayed there for many years in a row.

Finally, Bayview just went under new ownership and the new owners will be working hard for business.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 pm 
Guppy

Awesome info, thanks folks!

I was originally planning for a cottage, but in talking with our 4 year old, he would REALLY like to use our tent for this trip so it looks like we'll be looking for a spot that has campsites available. I will have a look at all of the options again and see which have basic camping spots and go from there.

Looking forward to the trip!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm 
Walleye Master

Check out Mohawk Bay Park. I've stayed there many times over the last 10 years. You can rent trailers if you want a bit of comfort for your wife and child, or you can rent tent sites. If you rent a trailer, you could probably set up a tent for fun right on your site. Dave (the owner) is a great guy, and very easy going.

Hope this helps!!

banner ad