Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:16 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 am 
Walleye Fingerling

So , my wife agreed and we are in the Wellington area for a week, and heading out looking for salmon. As we have the kids with us, I'm trying to make things as stress free as possible. I've brought three of my rods, two braid mag dipsy's, and one full core. I'd just like to confirm some stuff with you guys before I head out as salmon on the big lake is new to me. We're heading out of salmon point and I'll see if we can get to the scotch bonnet area, unless I can figure something closer.

Mag Dipsy rods: I've only ran straight spoons about 8-10 feet back for trout, will this work for salmon? I've got a couple SD/fly's, flashers with spoons 6' back. I was thinking of starting with one SD/fly, one flasher/spoon, and a full core with a lone spoon, all staggered depths until something hits or I see something on the sonar. Dipsy's on 2, lead core down the chute. I tried my of offshore inline planers on the core, the pulled fine but I lost them whenever I holed up (30lb mono backing of stock clips). Does this setup sound about right?

I'm in a 17' princecraft, so I will pick my days carefully, but hope to have 2, maybe the goes at them.

Thanks for the help, I'd love to get the family a taste of fishing with me, but I want it as seamless as possible so it will be memorable (in a good way!!).

Chewy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:57 am 
Walleye Master

Sounds like you have the fishing basics down.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but my younger guys certainly create a different challenge when I'm out on the big lake setting up for salmon.
A few things I try to do is keep everything as simple as you can, take only what you need and have everything as organized as possible before hitting the water. This includes having the rods ready and lures picked ready to set up. It's amazing how small a boat becomes with a couple of kids in there.

I find it best to have my wife and kids steer while you are setting up. I get out in the open and give them a point on land somewhere to aim for as they don't seem to grasp following a contour line or previous path on the chart plotter. Normal fishing set up does not apply now. Way more patience and time is needed with a 9' rod with an 8' dipsy, flasher and fly combo when they are right in there "helping" you out.

I take one small cooler with drinks and snacks for the kids. Drink boxes work good and any food that doesn't fall apart easy like granola bars. Again, keep it simple. Mine can add enough complications all on their own by times. :D

Lastly, and depending on your kids again, I find after a while of trolling and not catching something they tend to get bored. After spending all that time getting out there and setting up, the last thing you'll want to do is go back half an hour later. Try to bring something that will entertain them for a few hours in between. My cell phone games have saved a few trips of going in earlier than I wanted. As a guy said in another thread said, "dad's boring salmon trip" :lol: I think he knows what I know.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck out there and look forward to hearing how things went. In a good way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Scotch Bonnet will be a bit of a hike for you, if travelling by water. You are in fine fishing waters off Salmon Point. Head out to 120 FOW.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks for the help! Went 2/2 in 2 hrs before the wife got sick!

banner ad