Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wellington/bonnet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40 am 
Walleye Angler

Was out very briefly on sat. Morning.
Wind was quite a bit stronger than I expected.
Just wondering if any body lucky enough to have temp at the cannonball
Or a fish hawk would be nice enough to share their readings
My big jons came off Noah's ark.

For the brief time we were out we washed
Some spoons and spindocter/flies
On both riggers and dipsys E side of Mcfaul shoal
Nothing biting for us.
Did see quite a few bigger boats out. But
I see this and spoonpullers is quiet so
I'll assume it was slow.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Wellington/bonnet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:29 am 
Walleye Master

I was at Wicklow on Saturday. The wind and waves there surprised me as well when we got 5-6 km out over 150 FOW. I had my little guys and the one got a bit seasick so we had to head in to quieter waters. Lots of baitfish in the 50-80 FOW. Tried spoons, flies and rockets at various speeds and depths, but no takers. We did talk to one guy back at the launch who got one nice king on a SD and fly and one small jack on a spoon but other than that it was pretty quiet there.

Your comment about reports speaks volumes. No one seems to do any reporting these days for any fishing be it good or bad results.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:39 am 
Walleye Angler

I keep a tight lip about certain spots that are
Sensitive to fishing pressure.

But as far as the big lake goes there is lots
Of water to share.
I've learned most of what I know
About trolling from reading
Posts on here and spoonpullers.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:18 pm 
Perch

we also fished saturday. set up 515am at mcfaul shoal work to the north wall where we found a few fish. managed coupls kings around 10 lbs then moved to the elbow where we spent our afternoon with lots of bait and hooks to work with managed one 20 lbs king on a shoe horn and a 30 lbs laker on enticer. took smaller fish on protroll and meat rigs. and took shots on rockets and flies went 6 for 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Down temp around the bonnet is about 45 deg down 90'. Most bites are coming down 85-90'.

Flasher fly has been decent, meat is most consistent for me.

The bite is picking up pretty decent.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:15 am 
Walleye Angler

Went out to the Bonnet on Thursday the 24th with a buddy who usually catches salmon every time he goes out. We had lines in the water by 6am, and began trolling around the Bonnet. Buddy must have got some bad info, because we found one school only, and nothing hit. He switched from the Flea Flicker line this year to two other kinds in an attempt to find something that he could use for Lakers as well as Salmon. He decided it was a mistake, and is now going to buy two more rigger rods and equip them with flicker, and use the old rods for lakers. We encountered fleas heavy, probably in just the first 10-15 feet of water, as there didn't seem to be any on the line after that.
Hopefully the salmon are still around after the long weekend so I can get another crack at them. 11 boats out that day and didn't see a single one, including the charter boat that kept following us, catch a fish.
Guess better luck next year!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

skunkedagain wrote:
Went out to the Bonnet on Thursday the 24th with a buddy who usually catches salmon every
time he goes out. We had lines in the water by 6am, and began trolling around the Bonnet. Buddy must have got some bad info, because we found one school only, and nothing hit. He switched from the Flea Flicker line this year to two other kinds in an attempt to find something that he could use for Lakers as well as Salmon. He decided it was a mistake, and is now going to buy two more rigger rods and equip them with flicker, and use the old rods for lakers. We encountered fleas heavy, probably in just the first 10-15 feet of water, as there didn't seem to be any on the line after that.
Hopefully the salmon are still around after the long weekend so I can get another crack at them. 11 boats out that day and didn't see a single one, including the charter boat that kept following us, catch a fish.
Guess better luck next year!

I ventured out too. I set up at McFaul around 6:30 am and headed to Palin. From Palin to the Bonnet. Bonnet to the south side of Scotch Bonnet Shoal and back around to the south side of McFaul. Had to keep an eye on the clock or I would have gone further south to the elbow. Absolutely nothing. Very little bait or hooks. The north wind the night before wouldn't have helped either. It was warm in some spots at the ball when it was down 63ft . 55 degrees. Coming in, I saw Scott heading out towards the Mushroom. It was a great day to be out and get the dust off the rods. I didn't run into any fleas. This is the week :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

That is weird I was out on Thursday as well and we went 6-10 biggest being 18 smallest being 6. It sure got bumpy after 2:00 and we went in after that . I just assumed everybody was catching . We had one Stripper boat come in right behind us as we were reeling in a fish and they set up right on top of us and followed us for a bit , but for most of the time we were alone out there with boats in the distance .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

catcher wrote:
That is weird I was out on Thursday as well and we went 6-10 biggest being 18 smallest being 6. It sure got bumpy after 2:00 and we went in after that . I just assumed everybody was catching . We had one Stripper boat come in right behind us as we were reeling in a fish and they set up right on top of us and followed us for a bit , but for most of the time we were alone out there with boats in the distance .

I know who that is. All most ran into me last year. You would think with his age he would be a little more courteous. That is the only hint I'll give. Glad you had success.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 am 
Walleye Master

It has been a much tougher year then last year for sure. I have been getting decent numbers everyday though.

Here is a 29.58 lb fish that is the biggest of the season so far. It was part of a double header

Here are some random pictures from the last few days.

Doubled up with dad!!

First salmon

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

West Lake Willows wrote:
It has been a much tougher year then last year for sure. I have been getting decent numbers everyday though.

Here is a 29.58 lb fish that is the biggest of the season so far. It was part of a double header

Here are some random pictures from the last few days.

Doubled up with dad!!

First salmon

Scott

Great pictures Scott. Great to see you with your PFD :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:08 pm 
Walleye

Hey Scott you said decent numbers everyday, just curious how many is decent?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:24 pm 
Walleye

walleyegohard.....2 of the pictures above are of myself and my wife on Sunday July 27th, this was her first salmon and first time fishing lake o and hers weighed in at 18lbs, mine was 22lbs, we went 8 for ten with 6 averaging 19lbs with the other 2 being small. Had a great time with Scott and had a tough go with rough waters until 3:30-4:00 when Lake O laid down and we boated 5 in the last 3 hours.

Moose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:02 am 
Walleye Angler

Very envious!
I'm sure the lake will calm down and the
Fish will be hitting because my
Holidays are over and I'm back to work!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 pm 
Walleye

^^^^^ill enjoy ur dock ;)