Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:49 pm 
Guppy

Hey Everyone, I'm new here, both the forum and Kingston area...found some great tips about spots to shore fish here in Kingston and area, but would like any advice on bait/tackle to use...just started fishing again and really feel lost not sure what kinda lures/rigs / techniques to use to catch bass / pike (will be fishing mostly at Kingston mills locks)

any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:43 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I used to fish there when I was younger alot. Google "Drop Shot rig" you'll slay em :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:08 pm 
Walleye Master

Don't be afraid to fish at the other side of the locks too. Like the top I mean. That shoreline can be good also.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 pm 
Guppy

:D Thansk for the reply guys, I know it must sound like a newbie just saying 'soooo how do i fish???' but really appreciate any advice since im just starting out again!!

The top of the locks before you cross the road? I haven't tried there yet. I have tried the shore line on the north side of 15 and the dock along there and pulled in quite a few sunfish, but that's it. Wondering If I'm using the wrong bait/setup. I've been mostly using drop shot with a fairly small hook 6's I think. I noticed some larger worm hooks in a kit that came with my fishing pole (shakespear "catch more bass" ) wondering if I should try that with some plastics. At the docks on river side of locks I have been trying spoons (little cleo and 5 diamond) and some spinner baits with noooooooooo success...only way I've caught anything there is on drop shot with a powerbait 2" white/gray shad...but mostly really tiny perch, and one bass caught on the portage dock.

for drop shot how far up do you suggest the hook from the sinker? any idea how deep it is in there, when I get tired of reeling I have been trying hook/worm/bobber with no success and that befuddles me. I'd really like to catch some pike in there, got hooked on pike last year fishing in Sudbury....for a guy used to catching sunfish and rock bass it was a thrill of a life. Also hooked into one using a crank bait on papineau lake just outside of Bancroft....love catching those guys, and have heard they are In the mills...but haven't seen anyone yank one in!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm 
Walleye Master

Yup I meant on north side of road. I used craw imitating plastics a few times. Got some large and smallmouths. Nothin huge but fun.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

Haven't tried that area and been mostly hunting walleyes but the few times I've been out trying for bass I had a some luck with top water baits. Poppers, about 3 inch fish with lots of dark blue metallic paint, spinner baits that rattle and add bit of worm to treble hook, and this year been trying out chatterbaits been putting swim baits on the hook and been pleased with the results. I learned a lot on chatter baits and drop shot by watching u tube vids
Cheers Rob

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I use about 12" from sinker to lure on my dropshot rigs. Also you can never go wrong with a wacky rigged worm. Use a o ring as well or you'll be going through a lot of plastic worms. Small lure small fish. Often larger fish will pass on a small prey item in search of something bigger.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

banner ad
banner ad