Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:00 pm 
Walleye

I'm recently retired and workin' my way through my bucket list. One item was to camp in every provincial park that I thought might be interesting. Two weeks ago it was Rideau River and this week it's Presquile Park for the first time ever.
Normally, I fish walleye and bass a lot, plus some lake trout in the back lakes.

The Presquile trip might give me access to Scotch Bonnet or perhaps some closer trout/salmon water, and I'm happy to catch any fish bigger than 6 lbs. or so, Yep a 20 pound king would be great but I'd just as soon run into some "dependable"/ (more numerous?) lakers. (Fishing, dependable?: LOL)
I'm equipped with Dipsey's and jet divers with the boat a 17.5 foot KMV with a 70 hp Merc. It'll be ok on the big water if it ain't too bumpy. Thus, the interest in good fishing water closer to Brighton/Presquile (Camel Shoal?/Gore Shoal?) in case I want to make a quick exit.
I'm a total newbie to this chunk of Lake Ontario so any pointers regarding location and presentation for trout or salmon would be appreciated.
Of course a PM would be great too.
(With the weather forecast like it is, I might end up fishing largemouth in Presquile and Wellers Bay)

Tight lines,
pdubya (outta Kingston)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:10 pm 
Walleye Master

Presquile is a great park and I have ran to the Bonnet from there before. You have to use the launch just outside the park where Ontario Street takes a sharp turn at the Bay. There is a fee to launch. It adds a few km's to get to the Bonnet so watch your gas. I came in on fumes from there before.
As to the Bonnet, the lake trout have mostly moved on to deeper waters and the salmon have moved in. It isn't a bad run from Brighton on a good day. Anything over 15 kmh winds and I wouldn't do it though especially with a west wind. Northeast winds are best. As you said, there are a few shoals just outside of Brighton Bay where you should be able to find a brown and\or rainbow trout.
Don't forget, both Brighton Bay and Wellers Bay also have good walleye and pike.
Keep us posted how you make out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:46 am 
Walleye

Thanks to Walleye Wisdom for the info.
I'm beginning to think that the camping gods are trying to test my enthusiasm, I'm 2 for 2 now, booking a camp site weeks in advance, then having really crap weather for the camping dates.

Actually the weather wasn't too bad: for the last week of October!!. I basically wore everything I brought: t-shirt, long sleeved t-shirt, cotton turtle neck and wind breaker, plus long pants with rain pants over top.
We found presquile to be a nice park and enjoyed hiking on both the marsh boardwalk and the old growth forest trail. Gotta say it was good hiking weather, certainly not too hot, and too cool even for the mosquitoes (days high was 16C on Thursday). Also checked out the beach and the light house.

Only wet a line for 2 hours Friday midday as we left with no luck. There was a howling west wind vigorous 1 foot chop on presquile bay itself. We did just a cursory fish as we drifted from the down toward the mouth of Murray canal
As for the main lake, not even close, good windsurfing weather, otherwise way too bumpy for me.

Tight lines

pdubya

banner ad