Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Senior fishing license.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

Although you have many more years ahead, before you become a senior citizen, it certainly is
great to hear you thoughts on a very sensible solution for us seniors, who would be able to fish
peacefully, without having to worry about the new MNRF, proposed license fees for seniors.

Ontario Out of Doors, hunting issue.
Thank you Dave, (Adventure) Bridgewater

Donn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:13 am 
Walleye Angler

The way I see it with a growing senior population and generally people living longer, 65 is pretty young still in my eyes and you potentially may live another 30-40 years!! Another fact is that since a lot of seniors are retired, many rely more and more on consuming caught fish. So with these facts alone I really believe if you are going to use the resource you should pay for it, it only makes sense for sustaining the fishery for everyone by stocking, rehabilitation efforts, invasive specie control and law enforcement. I mean its what $25-30 a year to fish? Thats $0.58 cents a week of you want to account for it in that sense... I mean its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I have no problem paying for it when I get there, I figure you spend that much in gas for a trip to the water , what's a few more bucks.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:08 pm 
Walleye Master

I think there is an easy compromise provided you are able to open your eyes a little and see it from a different perspective. THEIRS not yours.

For the senior who might only go once or twice a year with their Grandchild off the cottage dock they could have a free Conservation license and simply enjoy fishing without the hassles of getting a license, especially if they have a hard time getting around. It may not be a big deal to a younger person who can drive themselves where they want, when they want, but to someone who can't drive or relies on someone to drive them everywhere, it is a big deal.

Again, it may not be about the money as much as the opportunity. I'd hate to see a Grandad sit on a dock and have to say to his Grandson he can't go fishing with him because he doesn't have his licence. I'd hate even more to see that same Grandad get charged if he did.

And if a senior is able to and chooses to go fishing everyday and wants to catch their limit everyday they can go buy their Sport license. If that happens to be what you want to do, great. I hope you can when you get older. But you might just find out you can't...

Maybe I have the opportunity too understand seniors a little better as my wife works very closely with them. I hear the stories of the challenges our seniors face that we don't even know about yet because we are still to young and blind to even know about them. I can understand their challenges and if it means give them a little break here and there, well they damn well deserve it.

Give our seniors a choice for what works best for them. Don't stuff another rule down their throats. Let them abide by all rules currently set out for either a free Conservation license or purchase a Sport license. Is it really that difficult to get along??? Enough signs and rules already.

You're welcome Donn.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:54 am 
Walleye

I have a few years to go yet but have enjoyed fishing with many seniors over the years.

When I am there (trusting I will make it) and just happen to have my grandson or granddaughter out enjoying a day on the water teaching them the sport of fishing... I would hope that any CO that pulls along side asks me the following questions:

1) Having any Luck?
2) Nice to see you out with the Kids
3) Enjoy your day Sir and be safe! ...Period!

Bother me for a licence if I am out filling my limit alone or with buddies if you must...if I am just out enjoying the sport with no fish or any intention of keeping, move along!

My 2 cents...

Steve
WalleyeWon

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:16 pm 
Perch

So how about this for a solution for the grandpa/grandkid scenario:

Give a free license to kids and let the grandpa fish for free under their license while in their company.

If grandpa goes fishing alone or with his adult friends, then he needs to buy a license - like every other adult.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

I don't see why it should be illegal for a resident to go fishing in the first place, other than somebody sat down and dreamed up the most expensive way to raise funds possible.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:50 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't mind paying for a license as long as everything related to hunting and fishing management is managed properly using this money.

What I don't see why, is over the years of closing fish hatcheries, reducing game warden field hours, revenue from an outdoors card, raising the price of our hunting and fishing licenses, getting extra revenue from turkey and elk licenses and additional revenue from additional deer and turkey seals that they all of a sudden feel they have to start charging seniors to go fishing. Although the last game warden I did see was driving an awfully nice and expensive looking center console Zodiac with a pair of 130 HP Hondas on the back. And I'll bet somebody who makes a lot more money than i do ordered that boat.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm 
Walleye

It wasn't that many years ago when there was no fishing licenses for any resident of Ontario. The license was promoted by the fishing clubs as a way to increase stocking and enforcement. The MNR went for it but we got screwed and the funds ended up in general revenue. Any Senior paid for their license for years and it is a small reward to not have to get one at 65. As with the Outdoor Card it is a cash grab. Seniors are on fixed incomes and deserve some small privileges for their many years of contributing to this country.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 am 
Perch

I don't buy the "poor old seniors need a break" thing. There are poor people of all ages.

Interesting 2012 stats from Statistics Canada says that seniors are better off than non seniors.

Among families of two or more persons, senior families had the highest median net worth ($650,400).
Among unattached persons, seniors ($246,000) had a substantially higher median net worth compared with non-seniors ($22,700)

So maybe the young guys should be the ones getting the free licenses :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:25 pm 
Walleye Master

It's not all about the money. There are many reasons to consider. Some being the same reasons a disabled person doesn't need to buy a license. And no, I wouldn't support disabled people being forced to get a license either.

I still fail to see what is wrong with a good compromise. All seniors get a free Conservation license with the choice to buy a Sport license and abide by all pertaining rules for each.

-For seniors who it is a big deal to get a license, there are no issues. Go have fun fishing. Hopefully that's me in 35 years.
-For seniors who it is NOT a big deal to get a license, there are no issues. And they can get a Sport license if they choose. Go have fun fishing. Hopefully that's me in 20 years.
-The MNRF gets additional funds from those who get the Sports license.

Win win win.

banner ad