Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to do with weeds
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:45 pm 
Guppy

This is my first post at the forum and my first visit to Bay of Quinte this weekend. I loved it, managed to catch good size Small and Largemouth bass.
My question is, how do you guys manage to get around the weeds, I have never seen such weeds in any other lake, they are everywhere and very dense. I have lots lots of hooks because of them. I used a regular hook with plastic minnow which work really well for me. The bass was jumping all over it but I kept losing them in the weeds

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Is your line braid?

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:52 pm 
Guppy

TheLandshark wrote:
Is your line braid?

No I use standard 10lb Strength Trilene XL
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Trilene% ... ne&start=7

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:44 pm 
Walleye

for fishin heavy weeds like you are talkin about , you need to use 50-65 lb braided line

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:11 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm no expert here, but as mentioned above, braided line is a must have. Also a rod with a stiff backbone (med/heavy at least) with an extra fast tip will help pull the fish out of the weeds. A high gear ratio reel will also help. If you setup to fish on the edge or just inside the weeds, this same combo will also help produce walleye that are setup in the weeds.

Good Luck!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:52 am 
Guppy

Walleye 9 wrote:
I'm no expert here, but as mentioned above, braided line is a must have. Also a rod with a stiff backbone (med/heavy at least) with an extra fast tip will help pull the fish out of the weeds. A high gear ratio reel will also help. If you setup to fish on the edge or just inside the weeds, this same combo will also help produce walleye that are setup in the weeds.

Good Luck!!

Thanks a lot, will change to braided. Do you also use braided line for the leader?
Also, what lure do you use for Walleye?

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm 
Walleye Master

This is one of those situations where if you ask 100 people the same question, you will get 50 different answers. Everybody uses different techniques.
I'll tell you what I typically use, but this is just my opinion. Maybe some other board members will give their opinions also.
Different techniques require different line, rods, reels etc....Bass, or walleye.
If you're fishing heavy cover for bass, I'd go with straight braid....no leader.
Light to moderate weeds, I'd use a fluorocarbon leader.

I typically don't troll for walleye in the spring/summer, but depending on what presentation you are using, or how weedy the area is, straight mono could be good enough, or braid with a fluoro leader could be the way to go.
When fishing bass or walleye casting in light/moderate weeds I always use braid with a fluoro leader. The leader might not be necessary, but I use high visibility braid, so I need a fluoro leader.
I rip jig bucktail jigs for walleye in the weeds, so braided line is a must to keep your jig weedless, and the sensitivity of the braid is important to feel soft bites on slack line.
There are so many different combinations, that the list could go on forever. Maybe check out Youtube or Google specific questions you have, and you will find lots of info there.

Good Luck!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:09 am 
Guppy

Walleye 9 wrote:
This is one of those situations where if you ask 100 people the same question, you will get 50 different answers. Everybody uses different techniques.
I'll tell you what I typically use, but this is just my opinion. Maybe some other board members will give their opinions also.
Different techniques require different line, rods, reels etc....Bass, or walleye.
If you're fishing heavy cover for bass, I'd go with straight braid....no leader.
Light to moderate weeds, I'd use a fluorocarbon leader.

I typically don't troll for walleye in the spring/summer, but depending on what presentation you are using, or how weedy the area is, straight mono could be good enough, or braid with a fluoro leader could be the way to go.
When fishing bass or walleye casting in light/moderate weeds I always use braid with a fluoro leader. The leader might not be necessary, but I use high visibility braid, so I need a fluoro leader.
I rip jig bucktail jigs for walleye in the weeds, so braided line is a must to keep your jig weedless, and the sensitivity of the braid is important to feel soft bites on slack line.
There are so many different combinations, that the list could go on forever. Maybe check out Youtube or Google specific questions you have, and you will find lots of info there.

Good Luck!!!!

:D Thanks a lot, that was very detailed and I agree each fisherman will always recommend what worked for them
I have to try both, using braid and braid/fluorocarbon and see how it goes.

What is the recommend braid & fluorocarbon lb test. I read here that 30lb for braid is common, is that the recommend lb test?
Also what about fluorocarbon for a leader, 20lb test is around .41mm is that ok? or I dont need such lb test. I guess to cut through the weeds, I need higher lb test

Thanks

banner ad
banner ad