Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sheepshead advice?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:08 pm 
Guppy

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some pointers on Freshwater Drum.
this is my second summer in Canada and I have enjoyed catching bass, walleye etc.. none of which we have in Scotland, but it is the sheeps head that have frustrated me most!
I realize they are not a sought after species, and a lot people happen to hook them spinning for bass, however, I am desperate to catch one!

I've seen a lot them around Kingston, often cruising the surface on hot days. They seem reluctant to take anything and even a bit scared of certain baits...

To date I've only hooked one on a live crawfish, it was aggressive take when the other fish were literally turning away from the bait when flicked in front of them.

I've tried sweet corn, marshmallow, worms, and my fly rod. Most recently, in the last week I've not seen so many on the surface so have started fishing on the bottom.

If any one had any information on these fish, their patterns and advice to catch them I'd greatly appreciate it.
I'd imagine they will go deep in next few weeks, although I've been told you can catch them all year?

Thanks just now.

Post subject: Sheepshead advice?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey there. Are you in a boat or shore fishing. Can't help you much on shore aspect but if In a boat head to Glenora ferry and troll east using any bait that is good for walleye. Minnow baits are good. Try catching walleye and you will catch sheep. Atleast that's what happens to me haha

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Sheepshead advice?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That's what happens to 90% of us, "Slam the Lamb"....lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

In Belleville under the Bay bridge on the south side,3/4 oz. bucktail jig will catch all kinds up to 20lbs.This was May and June haven't been there lately.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:36 am 
Walleye Angler

They are also in the Trent River(at least in Trenton), in fairly good numbers in the Summer, (and I have caught them there at this time of year as well.) Bucktails (like Wayne said) work well, as do jigs,(or worms, harnesses,ect. fished off or near bottom) ....Minnow baits(as mentioned by Big Mac, also work well in this area)Have caught them from both boat and shore. Heres some info on the species and their habits ect.(please note that in the following info, they are also referred to as potential bait fish.....this is because they are used to catch Catfish in some southern states....where they are commonly called Gasper...they are not, on the list of accepted baitfish for this area!) PS...Welcome to the forum!
http://www.discoverboating.com/resource ... spx?id=271

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 am 
Walleye Catcher

Welcome aboard Duffer. Sheepshead can be great fun to catch and fight really well. I've only recently started catching them, but like others have said try walleye tactics in the quinte/lake O/St Lawrence and you will get sheepshead eventually. I've been fortunate enough to get a few 10+ lbs this year, and they put up one heck of a fight! Can't help you as much with location/patterns, only to say I got all of them trying for walleye...most on worm harnesses, 1 on a gold champ jigging very deep on a hot day and a few trolling minnow baits (deep husky jerks, reef runners) in the later fall.

Good luck, and post your catch on here!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:19 pm 
Walleye

Duffer...welcome!
I brought a large group of guys down to the bay in mid June of this past year, most had not fished Quinte. I put together a list of species they could expect to catch and moreso based on information from this board some tactics and techniques to catch them...when I came to talking about Sheepshead I simply stated: don't try and find them ...they will find you! As everyone else has eluded to...target Walleye and you will surely land some Sheepshead.

Goodluck...

Steve
WalleyeWon

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

Summertime jig fishing on the causeway (near the CFB Kingston gym) will get you into plenty of action

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:30 pm 
Guppy

Ah magic, thanks for all the pointers...

I'm already familiar with sheepshead being the coincidental 'by catch' of walleye fishing.
people have been laughing at my specific targeting of them and my subsequent disappointment at catching a few nice bass in the process.

I've tried using nightcrawlers, but the gobies and small fish have a field day.
I've recently read that crawfish tails on their own are good and also the heads or tails of small perch??

I'm hoping to put some time in this weekend and hopefully land one for a photo shoot before the fall kicks in.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 pm 
Guppy

I should add I'm only shore fishing.

A buddy at work trolls hay bay all the time and cant seem to keep clear of sheeps head.

I'm concluding that on these hot days when I see them on surface they aren't really feeding and may start to feed up now its cooling slightly.
So If I cant see them I should try fishing on the bottom.

I was also considering a night fishing session...has anyone caught them at night?
I know carp often feed more at night.

Thanks.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:34 pm 
Guppy

What about zebra mussels are they easy to get hold off?

do they stay on the hook well?

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 am 
Site Admin

I have caught plenty of sheep on cc shads. try casting them and very slow retrieve. They dont run too deep so shouldn't snag. Long rod with light line and full spool and you should be able to cast them a decent distance.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:13 am 
Walleye Catcher

put on a white rubber grub and jig head. Bounce it off the bottom, you will get 99% of them when it hits the bottom. I have caught more fishing walleye this way than anything else, sometimes i have change up just to keep them off. I use the white gulp tubes and 1/2 ounce jig head, but you can use whichever weight you desire. bouncing constantly off the bottom is the key.

good luck !

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If your seeing something on the surface I would be very surprised that it is sheephead, more likely what you are seeing is carp.I find sheephead stay close to bottom, I have never seen one surface.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:15 pm 
Guppy

I've seen carp too, but someone pointed out to me that the sheep head have lighter colored fins which stick out, this is obvious when looking down on them.

there's carp too...they tend to zip by either o their own of in a big school.
But general the sheepshead are in 2's or 3's.

sorry when I say "surface" I don't mean breaking the surface like carp do...I just mean in the top of the water column. maybe 2 to 6ft down. Often difficult to see if its not a bright day.
Everything I've read about them says their a bottom feeder and like to scavenge right on the bottom. So maybe that's why they own touch bait on these hot days when I sight them.

Hoping to get at them this weekend, try and get hold of some mussels and go at night time.

Thanks for all the pointers...

banner ad
banner ad